2008 NRL Premiership (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh i thought they said the record was 102 minutes, and they played for around 103. maybe they were wrong. or im wrong.

in any case, we're all fagrant homosexuals.

HSC
N/A
wuddie said:
epic win for manly. that is what i call an absolute domination. 40 nil will erase any sort of bad memories from last year. i reckon stewart's flick pass was even better than benji's from 2005. manly deserves it, great stuff.
yeh it was good work manly, 40 - 0 is a hell of a scoreline. even tho i dont like manly, well done to them and especially to steve menzies

i was really hoping for a close game tho, but...

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
wonder how much tab would be paying for a manly 40-0 win.

ledzeppelin

HSC
stazi said:
moar like Gayer. amirite?

also, the lower grade finals were fucking awesome. both went into sudden death extra time. one went longer than any game in league history.
that nsw cup final was possibly the worst game i've ever seen
i can kick a fucking field goal from 25 metres out, these guys had 13 shots and didn't get one

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ledzeppelin said:
that nsw cup final was possibly the worst game i've ever seen
i can kick a fucking field goal from 25 metres out, these guys had 13 shots and didn't get one
I'm sure you're also playing games in high pressure grand final situations with ten 100kg+ guys running to deck you after 80 minutes of fatigue sets in

wagga

HSC
Suck shit Storm, the Eagles have swooped!

That was as close to perfection in a rugby league performance as I am ever likely to witness. Being 3 rows from the front at ANZ to witness it is an experience I will never forget.

Mozza91

HSC
wagga said:
That was as close to perfection in a rugby league performance as I am ever likely to witness. Being 3 rows from the front at ANZ to witness it is an experience I will never forget.
It was a brilliant performance no doubt but if you want to see perfect watch the 1st half of the 2001 GF

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wagga said:
Suck shit Storm, the Eagles have swooped!

Yeah, reminded me of last year's grand final in terms of perfection

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
wagga said:
Haha. Hopefully Manly will have 10 players out for next years Origin too.

Hey, anyone betting on Storm v Manly GF 2009? Storm using this as motivation? :D

Anyone know the record for most consecutive GF's with the same two teams?

ledzeppelin

HSC
stazi said:
I'm sure you're also playing games in high pressure grand final situations with ten 100kg+ guys running to deck you after 80 minutes of fatigue sets in
I'm also not paid to play the game, don't train numerous times each week, haven't been playing for years, etc.

blue_chameleon said:

Hey, anyone betting on Storm v Manly GF 2009? Storm using this as motivation?

Anyone know the record for most consecutive GF's with the same two teams?
1961-1963 St. George beat Wests three times in a row
I think Melbourne will slide a bit next year, with more focus on grapple tackles, as well as losing some players

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
stazi said:
+1. just because YOU can slot one over out of every two or three, with no one there to laugh at you, doesn't mean you can do it when you're actually called upon to do it. the guys probably practice their drop goals 10min a week, it's a whole lot different story when you have to kick one to win the premiership. field goals in league involves a fair bit of luck - case in point, shaun timmons in origin.

melb should still be a force, but hard to imagine they would make 4 gf's in a roll. they still have to sort out the mess with nrl at the moment.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
wuddie said:
melb should still be a force, but hard to imagine they would make 4 gf's in a roll. they still have to sort out the mess with nrl at the moment.
I don't know if that would affect the players so much. Not sure, will have to wait and see.

Melbourne tried to pull the 'us vs them' card by using the judiciary drama and it didn't work because of fatigue (players and coach), and lack of creativity (Aitken). Disappointing for them that they got their pants pulled down on GF day. Mentally and physically, they couldn't match it ever since Smith got charged. That's why Bellamy blew up, because he knew they needed something.

It was all there, it's just I don't think anyone realised it would all bust open in the GF. Fair effort though I think, for making the GF when the whole team (excluding one) went through either form of rep footy (State of Origin/Aus) this year.

That's not taking anything away from Manly, they played well throughout the whole season and deserved the win. True comparison will come if/when they have their whole team through rep footy, which I hope they will.

ledzeppelin said:
I think Melbourne will slide a bit next year, with more focus on grapple tackles, as well as losing some players
I don't really think the Storm will be that affected by the loss of players though. Critics have been saying that since 2006, although they managed to make two consecutive GF's since. It's going to happen eventually, it happened to the Roosters, but next year? Not too sure, i'l be watching the first few with intent.

If (hopefully) the grapple is focused on more next season, it wont just be Melbourne that will be affected.

EDIT: Affected/ Effected? :/

Last edited:

wagga

HSC
stazi said:
Yeah, reminded me of last year's grand final in terms of perfection
40-0 >> 34-8.

blue_chameleon said:

Hey, anyone betting on Storm v Manly GF 2009? Storm using this as motivation? :D
Melbourne will slide downhill next year with Folau, Kaufusi, and Crocker going. Add to that the fact that Bellamy's game plan is one dimensional and doesn't work as soon as the referees crack down on them wrestling tackled players into submission and slowing the play the ball. Unless Bellamy can completely re - invent their game plan (which is possible) in the off season, they will go downhill fast.

ledzeppelin

HSC
I've got tix to Aus vs. NZ at the SFS and the final at Suncorp
Hopefully going to go to Fiji v. France at WIN and Tonga v. Ireland at Parra as well, and possibly another game or two, although it's on at a pretty terrible time of year uni-wise
Can't go to the SFS semi final as I have an exam the next morning :(

Mozza91

HSC
I'm going to Aus vs Nz and I was thinking about Scotland vs Fiji to see the next big thing Aku Uate and probably the game at EAS also.

Anonymous1

HSC
Not much hype around the world cup, but I'll catch whatever is televised.

So, which clubs will make the biggest improvements next year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)