A ridiculously easy question about which 2 u of eng have to count (1 Viewer)

dopez

Can the 4th unit and the third unit of english count(ie not the first 2 units) assuming one has 8 other good units?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yep. Your best two units. Its a double bonus in that 3 & 4 unit are way easier than advanced and scaled A LOT better.

chip

HSC
if you do well in all your 4 units they will count wont they?

wait thats a dumb question too

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
*wishes to hammer all four units of english*

*shouts* That's for being a NESB boy!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by dopez
coz my eng teachers are insisting the first two have to
They're wrong - only my third and fourth units counted.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
what?? i am confused?? so are you telling me that advanced english doesnt count??
No. I have no idea how you managed to come to that conclusion.

We are simply saying that English (Advanced) does not have to count. Your best two units of english will be included in your UAI, and those two units do not have to be from the advanced course. All four units will count if they are in your top ten.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
wow!...i know i sound realli out of it ...but this is so coolz..never knew dat.....so wot r u saying is dat if my advanced english happens to be my worest..and if i do 12 units altogether..that will not be counted..right? umm..this is intersintg....

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
wow!...i know i sound realli out of it ...but this is so coolz..never knew dat.....so wot r u saying is dat if my advanced english happens to be my worest..and if i do 12 units altogether..that will not be counted..right? umm..this is intersintg....
Only if you have two other units of english to count instead (i.e. Extension 1 and Extension 2).

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
yes.

2unit Advanced english or Standard english does indeed count towards the UAI, and you should check with the BOS if anybody tells you different.

It is mandatory in the 10 best units, which means that there is either Standard or Advanced english, + eight other of your best units.

Apparently the mandatory english is included as a level (a standard, so to speak) of commonality among all students; this is also one of the reason why all students are made to do 2 units of english continuously through years 11 and 12.

I am unaware of any circumstances that permit a student to have 2unit EXTENSION english included INSTEAD of the mandatory english, I am also lead to believe that there is no way this can be changed or altered.

Give up hope, we're never going to get out of this. Advanced english is going to screw our uai's and send us all to the university of western sydney.. as cleaners. :/

Huy

HSC
N/A
what happens if you say get marks such as:

btw, this is an example and may/may not be true in real life.
i.e. a student scoring good marks in the extensions and crashing out on advanced english, it's just an example :)

adv english 75

eng ext1 41
eng ext2 42

wouldn't they use your two extensions instead? :confused:
that's what i was led to believe.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Re: yes.

Originally posted by gloria*
It is mandatory in the 10 best units, which means that there is either Standard or Advanced english, + eight other of your best units.
No. The requirement is simply two units of english - it does not matter which two (consider also the students who do ESL and hence take neither standard nor advanced). I might reiterate a comment I made in an earlier post, and point out that in my personal situation "only my third and fourth units counted." The advanced component was not counted towards my UAI.

Originally posted by Huy
i.e. a student scoring good marks in the extensions and crashing out on advanced english
If the scaled marks for the extension courses are higher than the scaled mark for the advanced course, they will be included instead. Alternatively, only one extension course and half of the advanced component can be included if that would produce a greater result.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Haha, well, your example is almost exactly the same situation I am in:

Advanced: 77%
Extension 1: ninetysomethingpercent
Extension 2: 41 / 50.

& I think I failed my last english advanced assessment too.

Until recently I was lead to believe the same thing --that the Best two units of english would be counted.
But, this is not so. Because advanced (or standard, whatever) english is the only standard among all students, it had to be included.

So, this HORRIBLE example mark of seventy something would be the first thing counted towards your UAI.

But-- this might not be so bad, you need to consider what rank you are-- as this is (I am lead to believe) is what you are scaled upon. For example, if your mark is 74 but you are 3rd in your school, then you are going to be scaled way up. (Similarly, if you are me, and your rank is thirty something / 1oo&something, than you will not be scaled so well.)

Also realise that doing really well in your extension subjects does scale it well. So seventy something right now might not be so bad.

Ace the trials :) & then you / your example will not have to worry.

xoxo

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Because advanced (or standard, whatever) english is the only standard among all students, it had to be included.
The first part of this statement is correct - and the inclusion of extension courses instead of the common course can be justified by the way in which extension courses are scaled. Without delving into too much detail, the distribution of marks for an extension course is shaped to match the distribution of marks for those same extension students in the common course. And for the second extension course, the distribution of marks in the first extension course is used. Hence the 'common standard' bubbles up to the courses at the top level, and allows them to be included instead.

Also realise that doing really well in your extension subjects does scale it well. So seventy something right now might not be so bad.
I'm reluctant to argue with yet another point, as you've made some good comments (which are rare these days, though I appreciate them :)) but I feel the need to point out that this doesn't actually occur; extension courses do not influence the courses beneath them in any way.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Lazarus, (hi!)

where did you learn that the Best two units of english are what is counted towards the UAI?

Because --- as much as I would like to believe this, several BOS notices I have seen + two information tutorials I have been to state directly that advanced / standard (or els, as you pointed out) are counted before anything else, and that the extension subjects are only counted among the eight units remaining.

Even so: it is encouraging, if there is a CHANCE that advanced will not be included (it is interesting what you say about the way marks are distributed-- do you know of anywhere I can look up to read more about it? Is it delved into online anywhere?) and the extension courses become the sole english marks.

Haha:also: I meant that the extension subjects -when scaled- do effect the entire UAI, not the course below them, but as a whole (and in comparison to the raw mark).

Show me something that will prove to me that my advanced marks will not be counted! (And I will forever / temporarily, either way, be in your debt)

:)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Show me something that will prove to me that my advanced marks will not be counted! (And I will forever / temporarily, either way, be in your debt) :)
Well, here's an excerpt from my "2001 Universities Admission Index Advice" -

Shown below are the Board Developed HSC courses which were available for inclusion in your UAI, together with the units that were actually included in the calculation. The rules governing UAI eligibility and the calculation of the UAI are shown over the page.

Your NSW Board of Studies Student Number: 10960371

<table width="90%" border="0"><tr bordercolor="#CCCCCC"> <td width="39%" valign="top"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1"><b>Course name</b></font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1"><b>Year<br>completed</b></font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1"><b>Unit<br>value</b></font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1"><b>Units included in<br>calculation of UAI</b></font></div></td></tr><tr> <td width="39%"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">English Advanced</font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2001</font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2</font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0</font></div></td></tr><tr> <td width="39%"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">English Extension 1</font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2001</font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">1</font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">1</font></div></td></tr><tr> <td width="39%"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">English Extension 2</font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2001</font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">1</font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">1</font></div></td></tr><tr> <td width="39%"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Mathematics</font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2001</font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2</font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2</font></div></td></tr><tr> <td width="39%"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Mathematics Extension 1</font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2001</font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">1</font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">1</font></div></td></tr><tr> <td width="39%"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Physics</font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2001</font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2</font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2</font></div></td></tr><tr> <td width="39%"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Computing Studies</font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2000</font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2</font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">0</font></div></td></tr><tr> <td width="39%"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Computing Studies</font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2000</font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">1</font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">1</font></div></td></tr><tr> <td width="39%"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">Philosophy - Distinction Course</font></td><td width="24%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2001</font></div></td><td width="22%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2</font></div></td><td width="15%"> <div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1">2</font></div></td></tr></table>

Issued by UAC without alteration or erasure
On the reverse side -

Rule 2 - Calculation of the UAI

Your UAI is based on an aggregate of scaled marks in 10 units of Board Developed courses comprising:
- your best two units of English; and
- your best eight units from the remaining units, subject to the provision that no more than two units of Category B courses be included.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
! Speechless.
Do you mind if I print this, and take it to my english head teacher sometime this week? So I can show her that someone (though in 2001) DIDN'T have advanced english counted?

Argh this has really thrown me. I'm desperate to believe you.

Thankyou so much.

And-- how did you come to do philosophy in yr 12? Was it with a uni? (Envious am I.)

Again, thankyou-- I will ask my head teacher about this again tomorrow.

//Freya.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)