A tutor scammed me (1 Viewer)

dingodog

HSC
so guys i just contacted him via whatsapp and he offered to give all his resources to me to even the slates (i said not) then he said he'll do a bank transfer (i dont have a bank account) then he said he will give me only 40$ (which i refused) then he started intimidating me about "respect" "discounts" and said "watch what you say to me yeah." and now he just said "ill tell you when i'm home" .... i am tempted to threaten him with the police but if he catches my bluff its over for me.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
so guys i just contacted him via whatsapp and he offered to give all his resources to me to even the slates (i said not) then he said he'll do a bank transfer (i dont have a bank account) then he said he will give me only 40$ (which i refused) then he started intimidating me about "respect" "discounts" and said "watch what you say to me yeah." and now he just said "ill tell you when i'm home" .... i am tempted to threaten him with the police but if he catches my bluff its over for me.
wait so y did he offer to give u all his resources? and why $40?

"watch what you say to me yeah." - did u say anything bad to him or just asked for ur money back? this kid seems weird, give him a review lol

dingodog

HSC

"watch what you say to me yeah." - did u say anything bad to him or just asked for ur money back? this kid seems weird, give him a review lol
no i said "i want my money back. End of story."

dingodog

HSC

I asked for a discount since i was paying with my own pocket money and wanted tutoring twice a week in which he offered the 25 an hour where it was initially 40 an hour. And he offered his ALL resources so that he wouldn't have to give the $50 back. After i said ill pass he was very salty with blunty replies. "goodluck mate." "you'll pass"

dingodog

HSC
Uh... so you gave $100 to some random stranger over the internet? Sorry, how did you give this $100 in advance? Was it in person? Or over the internet? If it was the prior, then that should have been a MASSIVE red flag.

How do you know this kid is a tutor or dux?

Honestly there's not much you can do. If you didn't meet up with this guy, then he could be some person on the other side of the world, or in another state. Only option is to bluff and scare him.

I would first message him and ask you want a refund, before this - try and get as much of his details as you can (since i'm better he'll block you when you ask this). If he declines, then threaten to take him to small claims court.

You probably don't wanna actually take him to court, but hopefully the threat or you saying you are will scare him into refunding the money.
based on what you've seen on this thread, do you think my situation is negligible for even a court hearing?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
no i said "i want my money back. End of story."
I asked for a discount since i was paying with my own pocket money and wanted tutoring twice a week in which he offered the 25 an hour where it was initially 40 an hour. And he offered his ALL resources so that he wouldn't have to give the $50 back. After i said ill pass he was very salty with blunty replies. "goodluck mate." "you'll pass"
wow

and tbh I think u should delete this thread before he sees and he gets even more pissed.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
rep power, clearly

I remember when I had 38 rep power

good times

But yeah, just... contact authorities.

Flop21

HSC
based on what you've seen on this thread, do you think my situation is negligible for even a court hearing?
No, since it will cost you more than $100 to go to court. And I'm looking on the site now, it needs to be over $2000.

http://www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheets/info-sheet/debt-recovery-small-claims-procedure-nsw/

I suggest take a read of it if you're going to threaten him as well.

Maybe the ACCC should be involved here? Check out their site and see if they apply to your issue here.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I've identified the tutors details already, check page 2 of the thread for a link.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)