Abbott thinks reading the Bible should be compulsory in schools (2 Viewers)

badquinton304

HSC
Australian Sex party and Gamers 4 Croydon lol.
In another thread I hilighted a serious policy flaw in the sex party it will never come to be, but the stupidity of that particular policy scares me.

• To bring about equal numbers of women in the Parliament through enabling the Federal Discrimination Act to have jurisdiction extending to political parties.

Oh and are G4C running candidates in other places than adelaide because I remember a while ago that they said it might happen.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
In another thread I hilighted a serious policy flaw in the sex party it will never come to be, but the stupidity of that particular policy scares me.

• To bring about equal numbers of women in the Parliament through enabling the Federal Discrimination Act to have jurisdiction extending to political parties.
Oh and are G4C running candidates in other places than adelaide because I remember a while ago that they said it might happen.

Yeah i was just reading up on it, i can just go to my local Net/Game cafe and ask them to become a member and become candiates.....wait thats a good idea.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Hmm compulsory bible reading in school or compulsory censoring of internet, which to choose? :mad:
Hands down choose the Bible reading.

This blokes got to be the most amusing politician to watch in recent times. I rekon he should win the election based solely on the entertainment act he's bestowing on the rest of us.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
+1

Where would students even find the time to do this? Certainly not in school - and as if they would read it outside school.
homework? i can see it now:
"alright children, for homework i'd like you to read genesis cus tommorow, i'll be quizing you about how our awesome god invented the earth!"

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
But it sucks that the kiddies have to be subjected to that shit.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It does.

I have nothing against reading the bible. I'm reading it myself at the moment (purely as a text, not as a religious guide). However, if the government complain that children are unable to make judgements and decisions for themselves, then doesn't this become a manipulative exercise in religion.

HSC
Uni Grad
I have nothing against reading it either, if it's the persons choice to do so then it is completely fine.

hsb39

HSC
Two crackpots and i have to vote this year, fuck.
Curious as to whether it was harder for people to vote between Howard and Beazely (is that how to spell it?).

Going to a Christian school, I can assure you that doing this without parents allowing it would be absolutely terrible. We'd create a generation that has a ridiculous amount of indoctrinated children. Even Christian people should agree that it would be bad, they don't tend to like blind faith in Christianity any more than us, it undermines the value of their faith.

Scorch

HSC
Well in these days you really do have to indoctrinate them while they're young, don't you?

Any objective analysis of the Bible will reveal the Old Testament to be a violent expose of mass murder, persecution and genocide contained inside what consists of either generic, near-eastern fairytales and myths or propaganda pieces to justify Isrealite displacement and conquest of native peoples in the Levant.

The New Testament is a contradictory, historically inaccurate compilation, written mostly by a bunch of deluded cultists from Judea. The only difference between Jesus and other contemporary magicians and cultists is that he has an awesome PR office that went into full swing after he died. Historically, they were very likely not written by the people that they are attributed to beyond a couple of the New Testament canonical texts. In terms of content, Jesus says very little that is original as the ideas of reciprocity and such are all in one's best interest anyway as evolutionarily beneficial traits that people had clued into quite a long time before. It doesn't disappoint, however, with its own fairytales about the end of the world and God's slaughter of a quarter of the world's population and others that didn't bow down to him despite his complete reliance on blind faith as he refuses to give any evidence whatsoever about his existence.

There is no intellectually defensible position that would have the Bible taught with reverence and respect in schools. Were it subject to the rudimentary ideas of textual criticism and source analysis that one is familiar with by year 9 or 10 history class, it would be found to be severely lacking. From an ethical point, I don't exactly believe that slaughter of homosexuals, prisoners of war, those that don't believe in your point of view despite the fact that you refuse to provide evidence to support your claims and other such ideas are things that children need to be familiarised with in schools of a secular society.

Titburger

HSC
Well in these days you really do have to indoctrinate them while they're young, don't you?
Apparantly this is still justification for a perfect moral being that we all should worship

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)