About to get an N award? (1 Viewer)

GorZTE

HSC
N/A
So today we all had an essay for English. I got called out from one of the teachers saying that I "plagerised"....He asked all this question like WHAT do you mean by "......",
meaning, definition, etc. I couldn't answer it because i "rote learned" the essay all the way. I said to him that most of the quotes/definitions are recommended from my tutor. Tutors obviously don't do the work for me, they give feedback ==''. I typed it up on the spot and made it into a sentence without knowing what was going on or what it means etc. I didn't even read the book (prescribed text) tbh. He finds it suspicious, so he is going to have a discussion with other teachers later and tells me his final decision on Mon/Tues.

What do you think? Give up and go to tafe/non-atar....:(?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
What is the weighting of your assessment? I don't think they can fail you, but they can severely penalise your mark if you are accused of plagiarism. I guess the reason why your teacher is quizzing you so much is just to see if you know what you're writing about and I think you should know what's going on so you can back yourself up if you are accused of plagiarism.

I don't think you should "give up" and go to tafe, but you should take precautions to make sure this doesn't happen ever again. See how it goes on Monday/Tuesday :/ best of luck!

GorZTE

HSC
N/A
What is the weighting of your assessment? I don't think they can fail you, but they can severely penalise your mark if you are accused of plagiarism. I guess the reason why your teacher is quizzing you so much is just to see if you know what you're writing about and I think you should know what's going on so you can back yourself up if you are accused of plagiarism.

I don't think you should "give up" and go to tafe, but you should take precautions to make sure this doesn't happen ever again. See how it goes on Monday/Tuesday :/ best of luck!
10%. But the thing is IMO, the decision that they are making make can legit, change my atar/life basically. Getting an N award in Advanced means that I will go straight to STANDARD...which is an atar killer, along with the 0/15 which i MIGHT get. I honestly didn't do it man...

D94

HSC
N/A
You should ask for evidence that you plagiarised. An accusation of malpractice is serious because malpractice is serious, and it should be substantiated. At this stage, you should learn what you wrote and understand it, so should you be asked again by someone else on what you meant, you can actually explain it.

But you've shown no display of your own understanding, which makes your teacher's suspicions valid. You are rote learning, using prescribed quotes, didn't read the book. Maybe you shouldn't fail, but you shouldn't think you deserve a great mark as well.

The Board of Studies has stated that: "Should malpractice be suspected, students will be required to demonstrate that all unacknowledged work is entirely their own."

You have not shown that to your teacher, so the conclusion, whether it's correct or not, is that you have indeed plagiarised.

If you actually want to finish the HSC, why would you suggest giving up? Why is anyone else's opinion relevant in your decision on finishing the HSC?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
10%. But the thing is IMO, the decision that they are making make can legit, change my atar/life basically. Getting an N award in Advanced means that I will go straight to STANDARD...which is an atar killer, along with the 0/15 which i MIGHT get. I honestly didn't do it man...
note the IMO
I don't think they can give you a 0/15 if you can PROPERLY prove you did not do it. Just explain you got assistance from your tutor, and there was no plagiarism. However, if they scan your work through the software that picks up on plagiarised content and it reads positive, it either means that you did (but you said you didn't) or your tutor has given you plagiarised info. :/ Have you talked to your tutor about this yet?

Standard aligns badly, but people are still able to get high ATARs with it, provided you perform extremely well across all your subjects.

P.s. I'm not accusing you of plagiarising, I hope I make that clear!

GorZTE

HSC
N/A
You should ask for evidence that you plagiarised. An accusation of malpractice is serious because malpractice is serious, and it should be substantiated. At this stage, you should learn what you wrote and understand it, so should you be asked again by someone else on what you meant, you can actually explain it.

But you've shown no display of your own understanding, which makes your teacher's suspicions valid. You are rote learning, using prescribed quotes, didn't read the book. Maybe you shouldn't fail, but you shouldn't think you deserve a great mark as well.

The Board of Studies has stated that: "Should malpractice be suspected, students will be required to demonstrate that all unacknowledged work is entirely their own."

You have not shown that to your teacher, so the conclusion, whether it's correct or not, is that you have indeed plagiarised.

If you actually want to finish the HSC, why would you suggest giving up? Why is anyone else's opinion relevant in your decision on finishing the HSC?
So.....your point is that I should read over what i wrote, understand it deeply and give some evidence before I see them again?

D94

HSC
N/A
So.....your point is that I should read over what i wrote, understand it deeply and give some evidence before I see them again?
Well yeah, you may be given another chance to explain your response. Are you just going to say you rote learned it...? Obviously you will want to ensure you have a strong case and demonstrate your understanding. Otherwise, expect an N award or a crap mark at best, even if you don't think you deserve it.

GorZTE

HSC
N/A
Well yeah, you may be given another chance to explain your response. Are you just going to say you rote learned it...? Obviously you will want to ensure you have a strong case and demonstrate your understanding. Otherwise, expect an N award or a crap mark at best, even if you don't think you deserve it.
Just saying but um....don't some people rote learn their essays too? Some people don't read the book and just research what they found and put it into an essay and they still get good marks? That is what i'm doing, i'm researching the recommendations that the tutor gave (which i mostly don't get) and find some meaningful quotes on the internet?

I don't get what you meant on the bold bit btw, so THAT isn't enough evidence? I didn't say much to him today because i was a bit shocked and he was like "see me on mon/tues" for the final decision?

D94

HSC
N/A
Just saying but um....don't some people rote learn their essays too? Some people don't read the book and just research what they found and put it into an essay and they still get good marks? That is what i'm doing, i'm researching the recommendations that the tutor gave (which i mostly don't get) and find some meaningful quotes on the internet?

I don't get what you meant on the bold bit btw, so THAT isn't enough evidence? I didn't say much to him today because i was a bit shocked and he was like "see me on mon/tues" for the final decision?
Well so what if other people have rote learned their essays...they didn't get caught out. Yes, people will go online and find something useful, but at least they will attempt to understand it and write in their own words so they understand it fully. Yes, all quotes are the same, but it's your understanding that matters and is evidence that you didn't plagiarise, unless it is clear that you have copied word for word. If you don't understand why you wrote something on the basis of advice from someone else, that can tantamount to plagiarism or a form of malpractice recognised by BOS.

Saying your tutor told you which quotes are good then you writing something you don't even understand is definitely not evidence to support your case. In fact, it would go against you. If you didn't get it, why did you write it?

When they ask you again (if you get that chance) about the meaning of what you wrote, what are you going to say?

a) your tutor said these were good quotes and you found something online, and you allegedly wrote something but you didn't understand it, or
b) you tell them the meaning of what you wrote.

Come on now, don't be naive.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Isn't that technically plagiarism? Taking other people's ideas from websites and using them without actually acknowledging or changing anything?

GorZTE

HSC
N/A
Well so what if other people have rote learned their essays...they didn't get caught out. Yes, people will go online and find something useful, but at least they will attempt to understand it and write in their own words so they understand it fully. Yes, all quotes are the same, but it's your understanding that matters and is evidence that you didn't plagiarise, unless it is clear that you have copied word for word. If you don't understand why you wrote something on the basis of advice from someone else, that can tantamount to plagiarism or a form of malpractice recognised by BOS.

Saying your tutor told you which quotes are good then you writing something you don't even understand is definitely not evidence to support your case. In fact, it would go against you. If you didn't get it, why did you write it?

When they ask you again (if you get that chance) about the meaning of what you wrote, what are you going to say?

a) your tutor said these were good quotes and you found something online, and you allegedly wrote something but you didn't understand it, or
b) you tell them the meaning of what you wrote.

Come on now, don't be naive.
This actually made be more depressed now....So i guess I have no choice but to wait for their decision? I don't think they will allow me to explain what I wrote on that day since it is too late? Fck..what a depressing HSC...

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Take it to court- burden of proof will lie with your accuser and he has foolishly shown you that his only evidence for your plagiarism is your inability to respond to his questioning so all you have to do is hide behind the 5th amendment.

Make sure the case takes place in merica gl with that.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Isn't that technically plagiarism? Taking other people's ideas from websites and using them without actually acknowledging or changing anything?
Yeah. OP, you must show that you have understanding. Just ask the teacher to ask you questions or even re-write the essay on the spot. Obviously you should learn the essay and change it a bit. If your two essays have different wording, but the same message, then you can prove that you understand what you are doing.

D94

HSC
N/A
This actually made be more depressed now....So i guess I have no choice but to wait for their decision? I don't think they will allow me to explain what I wrote on that day since it is too late? Fck..what a depressing HSC...
That was not my intention. I gave you 2 options to the scenario and it should be obvious which one to choose. I think you need to take a step back and analyse your situation objectively. Are you seriously intending on jeopardising your HSC by telling them you used your tutor's quotes and online quotes, and wrote something you didn't understand? Or will you tell them what you meant and your understanding of the text?

GorZTE

HSC
N/A
That was not my intention. I gave you 2 options to the scenario and it should be obvious which one to choose. I think you need to take a step back and analyse your situation objectively. Are you seriously intending on jeopardising your HSC by telling them you used your tutor's quotes and online quotes, and wrote something you didn't understand? Or will you tell them what you meant and your understanding of the text?
Don't you think it is too late? They asked me alot of questions already today and at that time, i was tired and sweating ..... I really do hope I get a chance though...

Do I still have the permission (2nd chance) to tell them if i understand it or not?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Listen to D94. He knows the board.

Also to OP, if i was the teacher I would be quite suspicious as well. I rote learn, but I write an essay whereby I understand what I what written, and then go about memorising.

GorZTE

HSC
N/A
Listen to D94. He knows the board.

Also to OP, if i was the teacher I would be quite suspicious as well. I rote learn, but I write an essay whereby I understand what I what written, and then go about memorising.
Yes, but will they give me a chance to tell them I understood what I've written on Mon/Tues? I mean...they have already asked alot of questions already today...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, but will they give me a chance to tell them I understood what I've written on Mon/Tues? I mean...they have already asked alot of questions already today...
Tell them that you have a lot to prove and that you should be given a chance to explain your answer. Then bewilder them with your knowledge. Learn what everything means and make sure you get the right mark by absolutely blitzing them with your knowledge!!!

If they say that their "interrogation" was sufficient evidence, then tell them that you were on the spot and not ready to answer questions because you were feeling sick or something.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I'm not sure if I condone people giving him advice considering he did technically plagiarise...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)