Accelerated maths anyone? (1 Viewer)

Supaman92

HSC
Hey, first of all sorry if i put this thread in the wrong place, im pretty clueless lol, but yeah i was wondering who here is doing accelerated maths? and what sort of preparation are you guys doing for it seeing that this is the only HSC exam we'd be worrying about? (as opposed to the 08ers, or if you're acclerating another subject)

oh and also, i'm coming in the 40's out of approx 100 cohort at my school (top 30-35 i think) which i admit is pretty crap, but what do you think i'll get as my hsc mark if i get around 97-98 for the external? lol sorry if this seems like a stupid question

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yes i'm doing accelerated maths, well if u get 97-98 it depends on ur school wat u'd get for internal, but i assume its a selective school so i'd guess low 90's as ur internal 92 approx?

and preparation i'm not sure, probably just a few past papers, and honestly i'm pretty sure i'm worse right now then when i did my trials but hopefully the exams easy :D
i cant wait, i dont hav that high expectation and i'm basically guaranteed a band 6 so i'll just do my best !

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I do accelerated maths and mx1.

I am getting myself cloacked with pile of maths past papers.

97-98/120 will get you about 91.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I’m also accelerating this year. Preparation wise – I’m just doing practise HSC Questions (my main focus being on 2U) and making sure I remember all my concepts. For maths – there’s no real other way to study for maths – just make sure you understand the concept and practise as much as possible.

40s in a Top 30-35 school – isn’t too bad, however you have to consider whether the candidature of 2U is strong or not. As for my school, the Year 12 cohort isn’t particularly strong, however as your school is Top 30ish, I’m pretty sure you have a strong year group – so your ranking shouldn’t be a problem. Also as long as your internal MARK isn’t too bad – you should do really well (95+) with an external mark of 97-98 (I'm assuming percentage, not /120). Also, are you accelerating in MX1 or just Maths (Adv) because if you are accelerating in MX1 – you have to make sure you do really well in Maths (Adv).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
LOL - probably because this forum's a place for nerds?
Accelerants are not necessarily nerds...

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Most of them are. I can think of some already.

My school doesn't even offer accelerated courses :(
lol, we just started a few years ago, now theres a major program for acceleration

Supaman92

HSC
i'm only accelerating 2units, our school doesn't have a 3unit accelerating program :(

and i meant to say 97-98% in the external exam.
i'm not going to put a heap of pressure on myself, but im going to try and do at least a past paper a day till the exam.

lol to be honest, i'd love to be called a nerd at my school, i'd take it as a compliment, cause it would mean that im doing something right ay?

munchiecrunchie

HSC
with an external mark of 97 - 98 and a ranking of 40th, you're probably looking at something like 90 or 91. (at a selective school)

also a word of advice for accelerants - DONT PANIC. The HSC won't feel like any other exam you've done, even though it'll be at the same place, in the same format, with the same amount of time . . . try and focus. (this comes from a personal stuff up experience).

Good Luck!

Last edited:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
lol theres so much competition just in this forum for accelerated maths.
Yeah. I bet all the state rankings will go to accelerants

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
About 80% of our grade accelerates in something, whether that be Maths, Modern History, Business, Music or Geography or something. =\

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
i do accelerated maths, but i'm no nerd. :uhoh:

micuzzo

HSC
Supaman92 said:
i was wondering who here is doing accelerated maths? and what sort of preparation are you guys doing for it seeing that this is the only HSC exam we'd be worrying about?
can someone please explain what is meant by acceleration in a subject?

Lyly

HSC
I'm not accelerated, but I reckon I could've accelerated the Years 9 and 10 Advanced maths courses. Not the senior course, though :uhoh:

I just want to know how you guys got to be sooooo good at maths, lol :p

Lyly

HSC
micuzzo said:
Acceleration means that they're completing a subject ahead of their chohort (normally by a year). Eg. the Year 11 maths accelerants are doing the HSC course and will be sitting the HSC in maths this year. :)

It's an advantage, too; if you screw up you can just repeat - lol :p

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
micuzzo said:
Acceleration of a subject is when you sit a course ahead of your cohort - generally a year ahead. Therefore you sit the public examination before everyone else (i.e. SC in Year 9, HSC in Year 10/11).

micuzzo

HSC
Lyly said:
Acceleration means that they're completing a subject ahead of their chohort (normally by a year). Eg. the Year 11 maths accelerants are doing the HSC course and will be sitting the HSC in maths this year. :)

It's an advantage, too; if you screw up you can just repeat - lol :p
woh... unfortunately not offered at my school... but i would bet most people sort of accelerate themselves ie...complete alot of the course in their own time.

but does this also mean that once in yr12 the maths exam need not be completed because it had already been done in a previous year??

Lyly

HSC
micuzzo said:
woh... unfortunately not offered at my school... but i would bet most people sort of accelerate themselves ie...complete alot of the course in their own time.

but does this also mean that once in yr12 the maths exam need not be completed because it had already been done in a previous year??
Well since they're accelerated they'll have already done the Preliminary assessments etc the previous year... so they don't do the Prelim assessments of their cohorts. (If that's what you mean?)

And yeah, they sit the HSC before us too so no HSC exam in maths for them next year.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
micuzzo said:

Yes, but it's up to the students' decision on whether they wish to keep their results or to repeat the whole course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)