accounintg firms- cadetships (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
oh yeah that makes sense. I was just thinking if hours are really bad you may as well do Investment Banking cause at least you're paid more for it, but i think thats much more.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Minai said:
To me, its just like cramming/staying up late the night before a uni assessment is due/exam. I mean, at uni, you don't just turn up to class and thats it - you gotta put in some extra effort outside those hours - and I guess it should be the same for work
(unless im completely off track!)
This is a tough question to answer, because I have seen and heard so many different things.

It seems that the hours you work vary depending on what industry group you are in. For example, it seems that employees in Financial Services are often back after 8pm, because they are generally a very busy group. However in the group I work in TCE & RCIP, not many people seem to stay back that late very often.

On top of this, it seems to be a positional thing. I mean senior consultants seem to be the busiest employees in the business, doing the most hours and having the highest utilisation rates. Consultants are pretty busy too, however anyone above manager don't have as high a utilisation rate (due mainly to the fact they go to alot more meetings, and spend alot more time on the beat trying to get new clients).

As a trainee, I have only been back past 7pm maybe 2 or 3 times. Usually I get out at 5:30. As for partners, I rarely see them staying back past 6. Why would they need too? :p

This is tax by the way, I have not experience in audit. But I am sure they go through periods of mass business.

aileenli

HSC
did anyone get any interviews yet? i got an interview but its a group activity/assessment...so wat exactly do i have to do there??? is it just an opportunity for them to see how well i interact with others??? what happens in a group activity????!!!
its v. nerve-wrecking...argh need advice!!!! Please help!!!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahahaha... So long ago when I last experienced such pain.

Congrats on getting an interview :) May I ask which firm it's at?

Group interviews range from doing simple things like having a group discussion... to really random teamwork exercises like building a tower of straws (BDO) and giving a presentation on a totally random topic (I think from BDO, I was in the group who talked about "Fruit"- some other people got Cats, Socks, etc..)

aileenli

HSC
seremify007 said:
Ahahaha... So long ago when I last experienced such pain.

Congrats on getting an interview :) May I ask which firm it's at?

Group interviews range from doing simple things like having a group discussion... to really random teamwork exercises like building a tower of straws (BDO) and giving a presentation on a totally random topic (I think from BDO, I was in the group who talked about "Fruit"- some other people got Cats, Socks, etc..)
wow so did u get thru at BDO? funnily enough, thats the place i'm going.
they replied really quickly. how long will the other firms take?

okay so about the groupwork thing, is everyone else all nice and cooperative? how many people get thru to this stage?

ha ha need to go shopping on the weekend now!!! buy formal clothes.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I got to second round interviews and withdrew my application before the one-on-one. They were really awesome about everything- especially when I kept having to change the date of my interview so that I could fit in my other interviews; and I felt kindof bad in the end that I withdrew!

As for the group work thing- just remember; to get to that stage, you have to be pretty serious about cadetships so most people are willing to work together. The thing which scared me the most was the "loud and obnoxious" kindof person who will take charge, make a lot of noise, but actually contribute very little in terms of either completing the task or keeping the team together.

Have fun clothes-shopping :)

Btw you'd have to ask someone from BDO how many people will be there. I think in my time, there were 36 people who made it to the group interview on my day? Not sure if there was one or two days though.

As a tip; try to find the office on a day you're free so that way when the interview comes (I'm guessing yours will be after school too) you won't get lost on the way and show up super late like some other people did.

pete_mate

HSC
i think i was that "loud and obnoxious person".

i got a pwc interview and it was the worst interview ever.

i came in 14mins late, and when i got to my table i knocked over a cup of water onto someones notepad and some water went onto the floor.

Then when the group presentation came around i was gonna talk about this idea and then the manager person said you were only meant to do one idea. so i lost my speech pretty much and had to improvise.

but now that ive got into uni i'd want better things than an accounting cadetship.

but it's good it teaches you a lot about interviews etc.

aileenli

HSC
seremify007 said:
Have fun clothes-shopping :)

Btw you'd have to ask someone from BDO how many people will be there. I think in my time, there were 36 people who made it to the group interview on my day? Not sure if there was one or two days though.

As a tip; try to find the office on a day you're free so that way when the interview comes (I'm guessing yours will be after school too) you won't get lost on the way and show up super late like some other people did.
hee hee thanks...need to buy good shoes.

i'm bunking school on that day coz...i generally hate school anyways, so i dont think i'll have a prob looking for the building.

do u know when the other firms send out their interview offers? coz BDO got back pretty fast, but i'm not sure if i just got rejected by the rest or they havent finished reviewing all the applications yet.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I only applied for EY
its the only big 4 firm that allows you to do the combined law degree

Has anyone heard anything from them yet? I havent :(

>::DeuZ::<

HSC
aileenli said:
wow so did u get thru at BDO? funnily enough, thats the place i'm going.
they replied really quickly. how long will the other firms take?

okay so about the groupwork thing, is everyone else all nice and cooperative? how many people get thru to this stage?

ha ha need to go shopping on the weekend now!!! buy formal clothes.

nice.....i already got rejected by em lol....they work quick :p

i applied for bout 10 b4 june 21st there r few more later in the yr....i hope i get aleast one call back :|

ishq

brown?
HSC
Ah! This reminds me of last year!
Yeah, BDO were the first to call back - EY was second. They'll all get back to you within a week if you score an interview.
EY will call your home phone, PwC will call during school hours and KPMG will SMS.

Ah! Memories :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
Don't you hate it how Accounting salaries include Super? Is this the same for all other professional service/financial service/law jobs?
I just realised this post. But some accounting cadetship salaries are "$27k package" inclusive of everything (super, text books, union, etc...) but others are "$27k + benefits" (ie. the super is included in the 27k because that is technically income- fair game imo, and the additional extras are added on top rather than deducted).

goan_crazy said:
I only applied for EY
its the only big 4 firm that allows you to do the combined law degree

Has anyone heard anything from them yet? I havent :(
Haha.. you do realise the other firms will negotiate with you if you're a good candidate right? I know a few people who were offered "new" contracts in Big4 so that they could do Comm/Law and work. Can't provide any more details though as I believe those are other people's secrets.

Btw, EY was the biggest disappointment for a lot of people in my year I think since they only called up very few people for interviews, but I'm under the impression alot of people who got interviews, ended up with an offer.

... and ishq- did you get offered all 3? I know there are a few (very impressive) people who did and you sound like one of them! U sooo should've come to the coolest firm; at least that way you wouldn't have had to wear bright orange shirts at the ICAA evening :p

ishq

brown?
HSC
a fair few :)

anyhow, i'm on internship next semester (starting next week), so in the same boat as all of you :)

we have a bacc starting at PwC with you, seremify :) you'll love him.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Hahaha :)

No.

He's as un-mikey as they get. :)

Mikey's off to Korda Mentha

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha Korda Mentha... is Mikey into insolvency and ex-Andersons?

Well, I will look forward to meeting whoever is the BAcc who joins us at PwC :)

I met this chick at the ICAA evening... can't remember who she was (she's one of the BAcc ppl) and she said she knew me... and I really can't figure out how. She was tallish, Chinese, loud/cheerful, friends with Sarah Teh, and it wasn't Anita. Damn my memory sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)