acturial anybody? (1 Viewer)

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Thanks. That was very helpful.

Now I can see the reason why everyone is recommending UNSW over Macquaire. It is because of that bookshop, isn't it?

Higher quality books = better learning = better job = better salary = success in life.

Thanks.
yeah im a member...to get hsc books
its a one off membership fee of $20 then u get discounts off books...cant think of the percentage right now

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
lol.

The co-op is where you get work experience at a company while you study and they pay all your uni fees and pay you minimum wage (like 13k/year).

EDIT: (usually)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hollyy. said:
i want to do actuary...i thought it was only available at macquarie though.
can someone answer this...i do three unit maths and and in the top three, in term four me and one other person started 4 unit maths but both dropped after one term

is this fact that i was unable to cope with a higher maths (but i also think it was the pressure, thus lack of time from all my other subjects) provide an indicator that i am not cut out for actuary?

my teacher said i could still handle the uni course but i dunno??
Why do you wish to become an actuary? You have to clearly understand why you wish to undertake that course when you are already aware that it is mathematically challenging (extremely). However, even though Extension 2 Mathematics is an assumed knowledge, it will not prevent you from enrolling as long as you achieve over the UAI cut-off.

If you do not have passion for Maths (or even the lack of it), you should not pursue the career of actuary as it is highly mathematical. However, I see no reason why you should give up if you are passionate about mathematics and calculating what's going to happen in future.

Not being able to cope Extension 2 Mathematics may tell a bit about yourself but you know about yourself more than you do. On top of that, you still have chance. If you perform amazingly well in Extension 1, you should still consider actuary as your potential career. As long as you are determined to work, no worries.

By the way, UNSW also provides actuarial course through Commerce degree. It's like 95 or 96 (I think it is between that). There are both advanges and disadvantages surrounding each university. You should consider where you would be better off at. Good luck.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Why do you wish to become an actuary? You have to clearly understand why you wish to undertake that course when you are already aware that it is mathematically challenging (extremely). However, even though Extension 2 Mathematics is an assumed knowledge, it will not prevent you from enrolling as long as you achieve over the UAI cut-off.

If you do not have passion for Maths (or even the lack of it), you should not pursue the career of actuary as it is highly mathematical. However, I see no reason why you should give up if you are passionate about mathematics and calculating what's going to happen in future.

Not being able to cope Extension 2 Mathematics may tell a bit about yourself but you know about yourself more than you do. On top of that, you still have chance. If you perform amazingly well in Extension 1, you should still consider actuary as your potential career. As long as you are determined to work, no worries.

By the way, UNSW also provides actuarial course through Commerce degree. It's like 95 or 96 (I think it is between that). There are both advanges and disadvantages surrounding each university. You should consider where you would be better off at. Good luck.
thanks...and i do love doing maths, fav subject the only thing that put me towards actuary was my physics teacher talking bout it once, before that i didnt no what it was, ive done research and i really want to do it

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hollyy. said:
thanks...and i do love doing maths, fav subject
Well, there you go! Make sure your love for maths keeps itself ablaze, otherwise you won't like actuarial course.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Azamakumar said:
lol.

The co-op is where you get work experience at a company while you study and they pay all your uni fees and pay you minimum wage (like 13k/year).

EDIT: (usually)
Thanks. I was already aware of that. I was just joking as you are aware. It's like $60000/4 years or $75000/5 years. It's really good. I might consider this path.

Affinity

HSC
Actuarial Courses grinds out ones love for maths. especially the life insurance course.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
Actuarial Courses grinds out ones love for maths. especially the life insurance course.
Wooo, that is a torture, then!

wogblogger

HSC
new to this thread
not realy clear on what the pay is like in this field?
like first year outa uni?
ten years after uni? (if ur still alive :p)

say i was to do act/b.finance next year, is it possible to get into ibanking? if so how?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
wogblogger said:
new to this thread
not realy clear on what the pay is like in this field?
like first year outa uni?
ten years after uni? (if ur still alive :p)

say i was to do act/b.finance next year, is it possible to get into ibanking? if so how?
Salary depends how much you have progressed in terms of 3 exams that are required to be completed before you called yourself actuary. There are 3 exams that need to be completed and successfully passed. By the time you graduate from university, you are likely to have completed 2 of those. Salary for those graduates range from $50000-$70000. Once the third exam is successfully accomplished, the salary would increase up to $100000.

With 10 years of experienced, I reckon you can expect about $150000 - $200000. However, the salaries of actuaries highly depend on individuals.

I Robot

HSC
Affinity said:
Doing ACTL3002 at UNSW presently, but with Changki teaching it, I've skipped all the lectures bar the first one.

Some actuarial lecturers at UNSW are of poor quality, and sooner or later, you realise you may/will need to read and cram by your own, rather than like in high school. Just be warned potential actuaries.

Affinity- Just curious as to why you are going full on against Actuarial Studies? I myself won't go into the industry per se, since I only will finish up with 1 or 2 exemptions, but I foresee the pay factor vs hours worked don't stack up for IB and/or actuaries in your case.

True? - DG Tacon 05'

Affinity

HSC
I finished part 1, doing maths honours now. Will do part 2 if I consider working in actuarial else that will be it.

UNSW lecturers are ok, you've probably hear sh'*t about them too much so you believe it.

salaries for technical work usually ceilings somewhere between 150k and 200k..to go above that your job will be to get business.

ngogiathuan

HSC
Im interested in actuarial studies due to the fact that it involves quite a lot of high level of mathematics (which is my best best best interest)
However i painfully admit that im not very good at communication skill, and my english is decent, will it be suitable for this course, and later on, this job?
By the way, if im good at maths (and like maths) but dont want to be locked down in labs researching all day long, what course should i be considering?
Thanks in advance
Cheers

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ngogiathuan said:
Im interested in actuarial studies due to the fact that it involves quite a lot of high level of mathematics (which is my best best best interest)
However i painfully admit that im not very good at communication skill, and my english is decent, will it be suitable for this course, and later on, this job?
By the way, if im good at maths (and like maths) but dont want to be locked down in labs researching all day long, what course should i be considering?
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Any job requires a good communication skill. But don't worry. It's not a natural thing. It is sometimes gained through experiences. I am sure you will build up a good communication.

If you are god at maths, you may consider Engineering degrees where high degree of maths is required. However, you should be aware of the fact that Engineering courses (usually) require a good scientific skills. Alternatively, you may consider Mathematics degrees, there is a good job prospect for those who undertake it.

mwah015

HSC
you know how if u wanted to do accounting, there are big firms who offer traineeships after year 12, does anyone know a firm or companies who offer the same thing but for those who are doing actuarial studies in uni?????

:D :D :D

P

pLuvia

Try applying for the UNSW Coop program, you get industrial training as part of the degree and scholarship

mwah015

HSC
pLuvia said:
Try applying for the UNSW Coop program, you get industrial training as part of the degree and scholarship
oh yea i know about that. but its hard to get coz they only offer it to a few number of people. do u know any other traineeship for year 12 doing actuarial studies??

Affinity

HSC
no, you can try for internships after first year though...
how many actuaries do you think they need?

mwah015

HSC
Affinity said:
no, you can try for internships after first year though...
how many actuaries do you think they need?
uhm about that, i was wondering... would the demand for actuaries be high and would it be easy to find a job if u did actuarial studies???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)