All-Asian Mall (1 Viewer)

cheepy5

HSC
Did anyone see the Hamster Wheels take on this? so funny,
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/28285 , starts about 9:50.
Apparently there were only 4 new Asian shops and the existing shops didn't even get 'kicked out'
ACA and today tonight are the best examples of biased and bad 'journalism'.

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
Take Cabramatta for example. At first NSW were whinging and whining (this example was on the news, etc). Look at it now, no one talks about it anymore.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
So I guess the 'Australian' National Anthem means nothing anymore, considering the line:

''For those who've come across the seas, we've boundless plains to share.''

And now everyone is complaining they don't want to share, that there is an overflow of asians, migrants, or what have you. To ''Stop the boats''.

For a very long time, it is going to stay the way it is, or even continue to grow (i.e multiculturalism.) And for those who think that this is not ''Australian'' and that we need to go back to what we had before (ie less asians/migrants) then I think we should give the Indigenous people of Australia a voice since it is THEIR LAND.

I have come across people who assume that Australia is this white nation, the ''Aussie way''. Yet to those people I have spoken to, they fail to address the true Australians of this nation.

Migrants, asians etc, have made positive impacts to our society, and also negative, but you will get that in any country. And we need to remember and assist the true Australians.

And to go back to topic, ACA, Today Tonight, is a racist, sensationalist program/s who have a very poor journalistic quality.
You know this is also in Advance Australia Fair:

Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
Britannia then shall surely know,
Though oceans roll between,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green.
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
You know this is also in Advance Australia Fair:

Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
Britannia then shall surely know,
Though oceans roll between,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green.
Advance Australia fair.
Ye, but most people follow this way:
Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea:
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare,
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair,
Advance Australia fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands,
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share,
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia fair.

The one you wrote was the original in 1879. We (Australians) changed it to the one I wrote in 1984. Ionno why though.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I remember doing Australian History back in Year 10 and Australia's current immigration policy is Multiculturalism, NOT Assimilation.

So pretty much all the crap about Hanson discussing assimilation in that ACA piece was outdated 1930's rubbish. :)

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
I remember doing Australian History back in Year 10 and Australia's current immigration policy is Multiculturalism, NOT Assimilation.

So pretty much all the crap about Hanson discussing assimilation in that ACA piece was outdated 1930's rubbish. :)
and she considers herself as "Aussie Pride 4 lyf"

Cheesecake_a

HSC
It also says we're free, and yet plain-packaged cigarettes. Cmon bro.

What do you mean when you say "give a voice"?
What I mean by that, is that I have come across so many people I have discussed this issue with, that continue to push this idea of a White Australia, that going back to the roots of the White ''Aussie'', the type of culture that is commonly associated with Aussies giving a 'fair go', into cricket, beers, barbies, mate ship, etc. (common stereotypes, but what many associate with the typical ''Aussie.''

There is always this push for the White Australia, and from my experience, rarely anyone mentions Australia for what it truly is, what the indigenous Australians have to offer and so when people talk about migrants that need to stop coming here for instance, many fail to see that the white colonialists where the first migrants here.

So, I believe in embracing multiculturalism, but also continuing to acknowledge the true Australians.

nifkeh

HSC
Chatswood and Hurstville are already bad enough and not something we want to increase. Multiculturalism is all good and fine, but where you have entire suburbs of predominately one ethnic group (e.g. Hurstville) then it is a problem that needs to be dealt with.

Perhaps it is the fact that Australia is finally waking up to the issues of Asian immigration and are sick of it. I am all for multiculturalism but there has to be assimilation. Creating ethnic ghettos where Australians of non Asian background do not feel comfortable shopping/living/working in is not acceptable at all.
if you were for multiculturalism, I don't understand why you are complaining why some areas have a higher proportion of a certain ethnicity than what is the most dominant ethnicity - the typical Anglo/Irish Australian

if you wanted to be very fair and correct, our government should be a 'utopian' based government who redistributes everybody so that whenever you are in an urban or rural suburb, there will be the 'correct' ratio of Anglo Irish Australians to other ethnicities i.e. 92% white and 7% Asian and 1% other in every suburb, state, town and area.

I doubt our government will bother to do that, honestly you seem like this is an important issue that needs to be 'rectified', and that Asians are of no value to Australia in the whole. You are wrong.

you don't seem to understand the logic behind certain areas being of a high percentage of a certain background - haven't you studied belonging in english, it is logical for people to want to live in areas with someone else of the same or similar background esp if they are new migrants or just of that background so that they are more comfortable to live in society without having a sense of alienation or isolation and they are next to stuff which is what they are accustomed to eg food, shops, cultural events or churches, religions. Hence why some areas are of a typically strong ethnic background in contrast to the racial makeup of a town, like Bathurst.

If you didn't know, Pauline Hanson is a strongly racist woman, she is a xenophobe. She doesn't just hate Asians, she hates those of Muslim background as well. In 2010 she said something of the lines of "I don't want Muslims to buy houses in our country, however with Chinese Australians it's okay, just not Chinese". Which is why she isn't in our parliament anymore and won't be considered again.

Anyway, the idea of the 'yellow peril' is rekindled again by your typical, biased, informative program ACA, portraying a indirectly racist, and needless to say, completely wrong angle of reporting on the shift of businesses in Castle Hill. As if Asians were hungry to take over land or something lol to 'eat' up all your money here. No, while ACA is portraying that idea as the cause, it doesn't mean it is the truth. Just because it's ACA, doesn't mean you take it for granted, given the majority of interviews in the segment being from white old ladies is already a biased survey of opinions from people. If you couldn't sense it from there, then what do you consider of the ethnic group involved? They themselves didn't get a say, nor did those of other cultures as well. It isn't a fair distribution of opinions to draw from Australian society, and if you are all for multiculturalism, then why didn't you bring up the lack of opinions from other backgrounds as well.

The government isn't saying 'hey Chinese people, move here' or 'hey if you're not Chinese don't move here' - they aren't of any opinion on the subject so essentially they are not saying 'hey this buildup of ____ here is bad, we have to redistribute the population'. People choose where they live, this is a democracy, and also one that doesn't uphold the belief of a certain area being too 'overpopulated' by a certain culture. I don't know your point is against people of Asian background, if you had read mX, or at least the news, you are quite blind if you haven't noticed that around 50% of Australia's tourism sector is fulfilled by Asian tourists, a majority of them being Chinese. Hence why the tourism sector has reenacted some ads in China to encourage even more visits from them, because they do actually benefit our economy, as much as you are willing to deny it. Also a substantial number of immigrants here are also of Chinese ancestry, to become a permanent resident, you actually, literally, have to wait 5+ years to get it to live here. Even if you're a refugee, the waiting list for an asylum grant is at least 1 year, cases of 3 years have been reported. Chinese people, or Asians, or any other non-dominant culture are of the same value as of White Anglo Irish Australians once they get the permanent residency or citizenship, hence they *are* assimilated in Australia. After that happens, they get to live where ever they like and are subject to the same laws and legislation of your typical white Australian.

You do forget that they are also Australian as well, to say that you are sick and tired of this happening - you are creating a paradox in your argument. It's like saying some parts of Australia have too much of a certain type of Australian than some other parts - which doesn't make sense because they are still Australian - and not on a visa, so they're not a tourist.

And for ethnic ghettos where Australians of non Asian background are uncomfortable - you're the one that's uncomfortable, you could always go to suburbs like Bondi or the Northern Beaches if you really wanted to 'belong'. It is acceptable and there are many places in Australia without any 'non Asians' in it if you wanted to be a true, ethnic and cultural conformist, because after all they were created by white settlers, ironically.

Uzername

B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D.
HSC
Did anyone see the Hamster Wheels take on this? so funny,
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/28285 , starts about 9:50.
Apparently there were only 4 new Asian shops and the existing shops didn't even get 'kicked out'
ACA and today tonight are the best examples of biased and bad 'journalism'.
Yes, I did watch that! Bloody hilarious, because they made such a good point. I'm so glad they went back to attacking ACA because it's so full of crap and exaggeration. It's what the Chaser boys do best :D

CommunityFan

HSC
For the millionth time, proportionately we have a greater ethnic diversity than any country in the world except Israel.
Not true, Indonesia has more diversity in terms of local culture as well as Chinese, Arabs, and Indians.... they have 300 local languages and cultures + foreign descent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)