ALP Education Policy [regarding funding to independant and non-independant schools] (1 Viewer)

ellymelly

HSC
this is the same thing happening to many private schools who do not receive enough funding and will happen to even more schools if this policy is passed.

ellymelly

HSC
Generator said:
It's a necessary policy. I believe that it has much more merit than the Coalition's current policy.

Besides, if the mum and dad feel the need to buy an upbringing for their kids, then why should they not be burdened with the greater proportion of the cost?
oh sorry, but i just had to respond.

THEY ALREADY ARE

Generator

HSC
N/A
I made the point with reference to the many small independent schools that have been established (with no consideration of potential student numbers) as a result of very generous federal grants despite the fact that they currently offer little in comparison to established public and systemic schools (oh, no, hang on, they offer the 'values' that a public education lacks).

gem_max

HSC
'Truth' isnt a word that should reside anywhere within politics, especially LABOR.

Public education does need more funding yet its wrong of labor to aim to take money from one form of education to give to another. A better policy would take the money from some other department.

ellymelly

HSC
I have no objection to public schools, i think they offer a wonderful and high standard of education. I have an objection to people and parties treating the Independent schools as the enemy, as taking funding that, "they don't need or deserve" as schools that "should not be established".
these comments have NO merrit nor bearing on the discussion.

Generator

HSC
N/A
ellymelly said:
oh sorry, but i just had to respond.

THEY ALREADY ARE

So am I, my mum and dad, all those people without kids, etc...

Equality of funding between the public and non-public system is a great idea, yet it should be fair. That is why Labor has proposed a more equitable funding scheme that takes note of the financial capacity of the school. It would not be fair and keeping with our countries 'morals and ethics' if the government allowed non-public schools to pull ahead through a combination of government funding and their own financial base.

ellymelly

HSC
Generator said:
So am I, my mum and dad, all those people without kids, etc...

Equality of funding between the public and non-public system is a great idea, yet it should be fair. That is why Labor has proposed a more equitable funding scheme that takes note of the financial capacity of the school. It would not be fair and keeping with our countries 'morals and ethics' if the government allowed non-public schools to pull ahead through a combination of government funding and their own financial base.
if ANYTHING the current system does not bring enough support to private schools. in any case, i don't call a rise of $4 much of an improvement for the public schools. is your last comment suggesting that all schools should work at the same level? sounds communist to me...

Generator

HSC
N/A
ellymelly said:
if ANYTHING the current system does not bring enough support to private schools. in any case, i don't call a rise of $4 much of an improvement for the public schools. is your last comment suggesting that all schools should work at the same level? sounds communist to me...
It sounds egalitarian (i.e., Australian), to me.

ellymelly

HSC
Asquithian said:
- 500 alot of money...? you are paying how much already? 14 000? if you can afford 14 000 you can part with 500 dollars so some schools permanent classrooms and not protables

Labor pressure? When did labor pressure ever change howards mind?

500 dollars doesnt seem much to ensure a little bit more equity in school funding...

500 compared to the 25% hike in hecs (which you will pay next year) seems rather minimal
the state governmemt controls funding of public shools and 80% of the education budget goes to public schools - ask bob carr - it's his baby

ellymelly

HSC
Generator said:
It sounds egalitarian (i.e., Australian), to me.
since when was striving for excellence a bad thing? oh that's right, you want us all to be at the same standard even that means bringing down the standard of some schools.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I support equal opportunity for all, not a state supported tiered system based on the mum and dad's ability to pay. If you see that as a commie point of view, then oh well.

Last edited:

ellymelly

HSC
Generator said:
I support equal opportunity for all, not a state supported tiered system based on the mum and dad's ability to pay. If you see that as a commie point of view, then oh well.
no, i saw YOUR view as a ridiculous one

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
uh huh

Asquithian said:
so why did i get a high uai going to a comprehensive high school? How could i have possibly learnt to play a musical instrument at a public school! Or gone to the snow twice with the sschool? How could i have gone on walkathons and ask for sponsorship for the school (to raise money for the school cos we needed it)...how could a public school ever provide me with such cultural opportunities :rolleyes:

NEWS FOR YOU sport...yes my school didnt have a big field...we just used sporting facilties in the community...

interesting side note

i played cricket against barker on barker one...well knowing that barker only allows asquith boys on their oval once every 30 years or so...i took my opportunity and hit a nice 50 :uhhuh:
Hence, and I say this for the last time, EXCEPTIONS.

Asquithian said:
i didnt say you didnt work...i just dont think you like the non spoon feeding nature of the public schools...

its a VERY COMMON comment at uni...that privateschool people generally are not used to independent learning...however most adapt to it...others drop out...

then again you have paid for teachers to pay close attention to you...that does happen in the real world
Well, yes, you DID say we didn't work (or rather implied it by your 'spoon-fed' comment).

Most of the learning we do is 'independant'. Our teachers are GUIDES, same as yours - we learn what we learn by the work we do. And last time I checked, public schools have pain teachers as well. :rolleyes:

Generator said:
Sport? GPS rugby or rowing is not a concern for the wider public.
Academics? Unlikely (Exceptions? Are we comparing the exceptions or the norm?).
Petty comments? We all do it when we are annoyed.

Also, "a substantially lower standard of education"... How does that claim support your position? I may have understood 'a lower standard of education' given your point of view, but the above phrase does seem to take it too far.
Team sports are not a concern for the wider public? No, they just teach teammanship and other important life skills which are not necessary to interacting on society. :rolleyes:

I have a tale to tell about 'substantially lower standards of education', if you'll sit tight for a moment.

Asquithian said:
Ms K this is at you

life would end as you knew it if you went to one of those schools...you would get a shit uai and some people might be poor in your school...and you know poor people are not worth talking to thats why my parents sent me to a school with appropriate people because rich people are obviously nicer people than poor people...and you would have to go to hornsby pool for your swimming carnival! (Since public schools dont have aquatic centres we tend to use the local council one)

:rolleyes:

also miss K...are you gonna do liberal studies at usyd next year? What do you wanna do at uni?
Life would end as I know it if I went to 'one of those schools' because I would not continue the same 'vein' of teaching style (and certainatly subjects) that I have been exposed to for the past 5 years; I would be torn away from my friends (both among the student body and teachers). Yes, life would end as I knew it. Not to mention the serious disruption to studies a move would provoke.

And you know, I'd rather NOT go to a school that has kids wandering around selling drugs (or where the trend is to wag every second class and go and have a smoke with your friends at Hornsby) - look no further than Turramurra High!

And on that swimming pool note with public schools, I still have my tale to tell.

Liberal studies? No. If all goes well i'll be studing BSc (Oceanography/Marine Science) at ADFA through the Navy (different from my career aspirations until about 2 weeks ago; once more, I have a tale to tell!)

Now, the tale I promised you:

Once upon a time, there was a little person that just happened to be me. Moving fresh to Wahroonga from Singapore and renting a little place, I joined the student body of Wahroonga Public School (aka the Bush School) at Kindergarten level. Life was good. It was fun, the work was easy. The school had (and still has) those little tincan demountables with no heating or air conditioning (like my current school, actually :rolleyes:), there was lots of space for running around, and we had a large outdoor swimming pool that generally caused a host of things (including planta worts, one of which I contracted on my little toe). However, at my happy little school, as the years rose we learned about history and geography and all that stuff, including basic (!) maths until about year 4. Then the learning stopped, and I spent my year 5 with a teacher who liked nothing more than to make concerts based around a plush toy (The White Monkey Concerts I, II, and III) and give points to the tables who could name the correct Smurfs. Maths, in particular, was neglected, which didn't bother me at the time because maths sucked and who needs maths? I didn't learn basic fractions and decimals, I didn't learn basic times tables above X6, I didn't learn basic numerations. But who cared? I certainatly didn't until I left my plucky little school to go to Abbotsleigh; and found out just how much I had missed out and how left behind I was to those who had gone to the junior school - I didn't know how to do basic assignments, I floundered in maths, and my knowledge of basic science was limited. Maths, however, was particularly bad. Because I wasn't taught even the most basic of principles I never quite grasped the concepts they taught us in Mathematics - and I floundered further. It was around year 9, doing Intermediate Mathematics, that my career aspirations took flight: I wanted to become a pilot in the Air Force! To do that I needed AT LEAST 2U MATHEMATICS in the HSC. Fair enough, I would just work harder and do 2U in year 11, even though I was floundering in Inter and should have gone to General! I struggled; and finally got my wake-up call last week when I got my (easy) exam result back for 2U: 18%. I just couldn't do it. I didn't get the principles behind the mathematics. And so, forced to drop down to General, I've forever lost the chance to be accepted into the pilot course at ADFA. Although I do have other options that don't involve 2U maths, it's safe to say that my 'experience' of public primary school mathematics teaching ruined what could have been my life. I don't know the situation at public high schools, but I suspect that at many other places the situation is the same.

Higher standard of education at independent schools? Without a doubt, and with experience, yes.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
I also have a tale.

Supposedly, I attended the best primary school in the district. Life goes on. Well, I was accelerated through with mathematics in year 5 (although I had to take year 6 maths again seeing as though the school either lost interest or did not know what to do with my friend and I) and then I went along to a high school (selective, admittedly) which, from what I can gather, was by far one of the most laid back in the state and allowed each student to chart their own course, whether it was a path to law or a path to the gutter (both extremities were achieved, I think). Life was cruisey, as it still is today.

I have also been shaped by my experiences, and those of my sisters at the local comprehensive high, and I can see absolutely no fault in the public education system. The fact that my mum is the occasional Teacher's Federation representative at her school also plays a role, too.

Last edited:

dangerousdave

HSC
Fine, I'll tell my story as well...

In year 7 i went to a public school and was going reasonably well. Year 8 I moved to Sydney and went to a catholic school. Immeditely everything was difficult, the standards were obviously higher. I never even experienced a set out exam week, assignments were harshly marked. By the end of year 8 I found I was failing.

Since then it's been all up hill and I'm now quite proud of my academic achievements (execpt for spelling, I still can't spell)

Generator

HSC
N/A
dangerousdave said:
Since then it's been all up hill and I'm now quite proud of my academic achievements (execpt for spelling, I still can't spell)

Blame the spell chequers :p.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I wouldn't be able to spell either (nor would I do as well as I do in English) if I wasn't, and always were, addicted to reading ;)

ellymelly

HSC
Asquithian said:
i cant spell either...then again i dont have to be able to...spell checker...

i spell better when im writing
i'm not sure yours is working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)