Am>gm (1 Viewer)

Mileyjoe

HSC
AM i allowed to just state it?? or do i have to prove it or shizznit??

untouchablecuz

HSC

heres for four variables

to prove for 3 variables, let d=(a+b+c)/3 and do some work

look in cambridge P 242 for a quick general proof

Last edited:

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC

heres for four variables

to prove for 3 variables, let d=(a+b+c)/3 and do some work

look in cambridge P 242 for a quick general proof
yeayea any EVEN number of objects is easy to prove, just using that first 3 line proof

however for ODD numbers it much harder, even proving it for 3 numbers takes quite a few lines

and then proving it for "n" numbers is FUCKEN hard (well at least I found it pretty damn hard)

so yea i think more clarification is needed on whether you can assume it's true or not =S

shaon0

HSC
yeayea any EVEN number of objects is easy to prove, just using that first 3 line proof

however for ODD numbers it much harder, even proving it for 3 numbers takes quite a few lines

and then proving it for "n" numbers is FUCKEN hard (well at least I found it pretty damn hard)

so yea i think more clarification is needed on whether you can assume it's true or not =S
It's not that difficult. Conjecture what you think it might be and use induction.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
It's not that difficult. Conjecture what you think it might be and use induction.
haha yea i did use induction, but it still took me quite a while =S well for ME it was hard lol maybe not for some of you xD

untouchablecuz

HSC

can someone help me out, im having a mindblock; i've forgetten how to deal with the a2bc+b2ac+c2ba term

jet

Banned
HSC
There's another way which I was taught, but it's a bit longer

untouchablecuz

HSC
you can also work backwards from this factorisation

this is a good thread, everyone give your AM>GM tips :)

Last edited:

kwabon

Banned
HSC
um guys, i dont think you have to prove Am>Gm, well you dont have to prove it for n=2,
you can just state it. asked HSC marker and said it was alright to just state it.

it wouldnt hurt to prove it anywho, just three lines.

and btw untouchablecuz, pretty cool way to prove for n, but it is pointless putting that to memory since if inequalities do come up and ask you to prove for n number of terms, you will have to use previous parts of that particular question to prove it, and it always differs from year to year.

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I agree. It's a well known mathematical fact. Just say 'Using the AM-GM inequality...'

even then, if you lose a mark for it, it's 1 mark out of 120. I accidentally skipped a page, lost 7 marks or something, and still got 95.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)