Another reason why god doesn't exist (1 Viewer)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
who cares if god exists, if you don't think he does, good. if you think he does, then do something about it.

all these 'the existence of god' rubbish threads are useless, you are not going to change a person's religious believes in a forum, so at the end of the day, no one wins.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
wuddie said:
who cares if god exists, if you don't think he does, good. if you think he does, then do something about it.

all these 'the existence of god' rubbish threads are useless, you are not going to change a person's religious believes in a forum, so at the end of the day, no one wins.
there are actually a few members who have been influenced in their beliefs due -at least in part -to the 'does god exist' thread.

X

xeuyrawp

katie_tully said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/se...rch-lawyers-say/2007/07/15/1184438148982.htmlI also think it's totally unnatural for a human being to abstain from any sexual activity for the duration of their lifetime. Is this what compells them to be paedophiles?
I think that it used to work. It now no longer does.

Like kosher laws, it's become totally outdated and a waste of time; the only reason it's kept is because of 'tradition'.

Well sorry to tell all the conservative Christians out there, but Christianity was built on progressive philosophy.

X

xeuyrawp

Miles Edgeworth said:
Actually one would be able to seriously make the argument that priests and their ilk so vehemently attack natural sexual desires in public through their morals and their sermons that they are thus driven to these most depraved of acts through the ridiculous power relationship they have over younger children in their parish. They feel essentially as 'miniature gods' and in essence have that form of relationship with the children, but due to repression of natural urges, plus rallying against them with vitriol leads them to perform utterly abhorrent acts.

We can see due to the LARGE amount of Priests doing this that it is environmental and not a genetic issue, at least for this occurence.
But if that were the case, there would surely just be a link between priests and criminal/wrong activities. It seems unlikely that, if what you say is true, the only outlet for their oppression is paedophilia.

Rather, what we see here is a link between priests and specifically paedophilia.

I think it's something else.

K

katie_tully

You're 50, you've never had sex, you're in a position of power and you're in close proximity to children. These children have probably been conditioned their entire lives to respect and admire the Church and I definitely think the Priests realise their advantage in this situation.

Why is there such a low incidence of the same issues in other religions where the clergy (for lack of better word) are celibate. Or is there and they're just better at keeping it hush.

X

xeuyrawp

Miles Edgeworth said:
I'm assuming it's the power dynamic issue.

Also repressing the want to thieve isn't that bad. Repressing sexual urges is far far harder
Hmm, that's interesting.

I suppose it is also the one crime from which they will really benefit. Maybe they don't value possessions so much, so they don't steal. Maybe the don't hate so much, so they don't kill, etc.

It's also a crime where you don't lash out in a brief lapse of judgment, as you may with killing or stealing.

K

katie_tully

Interesting notion; when is it considered socially acceptable for an old man to place his mouth on the penis of a new born boy?
I don't know if it's socially acceptable but I think people take less offense to it when it's done under the pretense of a religious ceremony.

K

katie_tully

On that issue, I don't think it is just paedophilia. There have been several reports, although it's not widely circulated, that alcoholism and gambling is a problem in the Church too.

K

katie_tully

It's also interesting to note that many of these paedophiles do not consider themselves to be homosexual, despite the majority of those molested being boys.
Is the Church's stance against homosexuals what also provokes them to seek their urges? It's not homosexuality if it's with a young boy?

banco55

HSC
katie_tully said:
It's also interesting to note that many of these paedophiles do not consider themselves to be homosexual, despite the majority of those molested being boys.
Is the Church's stance against homosexuals what also provokes them to seek their urges? It's not homosexuality if it's with a young boy?
If you were a catholic male who thought they might be homosexual up until the 70's or so going into the church was a good option. What better way to stay in the closet?

X

xeuyrawp

Miles Edgeworth said:
The whole point about it is that Homosexuality != Paedophilia, no matter what people want you to think.

There's that distinction because otherwise morons assume that if you're homosexual you have sex with children, which is patently wrong and moronic.
Ah, thank you for saying it. :)

Tulipa said:
'm browsing Wikipedia and thought it'd be interesting, that's all.
I wasn't being sarcastic! I seriously never knew that. I thought the whole priest paedophilia thing was a massive issue which only came to light in the 90s.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
PwarYuex said:
But if that were the case, there would surely just be a link between priests and criminal/wrong activities. It seems unlikely that, if what you say is true, the only outlet for their oppression is paedophilia.

Rather, what we see here is a link between priests and specifically paedophilia.

I think it's something else.
Children don't understand the concept of cellibacy. If priests tried to pick up the other church goers they'd be all like: "wtf mate?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)