Anyone here NOT looking to go into commercial law? (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
So is there anyone here who isn't looking to go into commercial law with a major law firm after graduation?

ie. Anyone looking to go into human rights or community law etc?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
nupe, i can be fairly certain the majority of us have sold out to investment banks, top tier law firms, consulting firms and big 4 tax departments. LOL. :bomb:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
So far I'd like to work in prosecution....but going to top tier firms makes me want to sell my soul occasionally...clayton utz is pretty sexy.

I would like to take the bar though.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Yeah, prosecution for me as well.

Or maybe I'll join the AFP and not specifically be involved in pure law.

subdued123

HSC
Clayton Utz ...sexy?

Care to explain why? Certainly can't be the people - I know a lot of people who work there.

subdued123

HSC
can't disagree with the perks. Free coke (of the soft drink variety) is a plus. Apparently they have it pretty good. But here's the funny thing about those perks - once you start working those fab law firm hours, you'll realise those cokes/bowls/sticky pads/free pens are not free!

However, their building as to the worst of the top firms - Corrs and Malles have GPT, which is stunning. When you're at level 61, you can see the curvature of the horizon, you're that high up.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
So far I'd like to work in prosecution....but going to top tier firms makes me want to sell my soul occasionally...clayton utz is pretty sexy.

I would like to take the bar though.
Why clutz in particular?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
oh com'on guys.

most of your visits to law firms have been the 'client meeting' floor, with the big board room and smaller meeting rooms. that level is always always dressed to the nines (personally i've been to: level 61 GPT, malles; level 32 GPT, corrs; level 36 grosvenor, blakes; level 25 deutsche bank place, allens; level 10 no44 martin pl, HDY).

once you've seen the coalface (ie 'back office'), you realise they're all pretty much the same. [in other words, partners and S.A's get the offices with a view, junior solicitors get the offices closer to the lift shaft (hence the expression, 'to be shafted'), support staff sit the open area so they can suck in the ozone of the photocopiers...]

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
I'm considering prosecution too...but probably won't. I have my eye on Allens and Minters.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
oh, now you're just showing off, Frigid. :p
i didn't get interviews at all of those firms. (some of them, yes.)

i'm just a plain-jane, vanilla law student. really. nothing special. :shy:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
So in a thread where I'm asking about anything but commercial law firms, the conversation almost immediately gravitates towards those law firms anyway.

*correction - the conversation immediately gravitates...

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
That sucks. I think the prospect of death (in addition to the annoying 'beyond reasonable doubt' thing) would deter me from prosecution - although I'm sure commercial lawyers more than make up for their lack of morbidity through suicide rates.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
So for those who are interested in prosecution, I assume the OPP/DPP then?

subdued123

HSC
I would assume so - are there really very many other options? I cannot think of many.

I mean, private bar is one option, then you could work for the DPP in that way as a prosecutor?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)