Anyone here NOT looking to go into commercial law? (1 Viewer)

travelfish

HSC
Frigid said:
oh com'on guys.
....level 25 deutsche bank place, allens......

That's actually the level where the Insurance, ERI and Projects Groups are. I think you'll find you've been to level 28 ;)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mea culpa...

guess i don't work in allens :p

subdued123

HSC
travelfish, do you work at allens? If so, any tips? Would love to know how to get a job there....

travelfish

HSC
subdued123 said:
travelfish, do you work at allens? If so, any tips? Would love to know how to get a job there....
Yes I work at AAR.

It is difficult, with any degree of confidence, to give you "tips" about what will or will not get you a job there - afterall, even after being hired, you are never told on what basis you were hired.

I can tell you the party line: "Imagination, Interests and Intelligence". This is the current recruitment byline. It means, I am told, that AAR looks for people who have a wide range of varied interests outside of the law (in a sense, people who are "interesting") and have done well academically.

I can also tell you what I have observed of the people working there. AAR seems to hire candidates with a varied range of combined law degrees. They appear to hire few comm / law grads, and instead mostly hire arts / law or science / law grads (with various majors).

The majority (note, not all) who they hire have done very well in university. They hire a lot of people from Usyd and UNSW and less so from other universities (although they do hire from other universities as well). They seem to also go for people who are "different" and it is difficult to say if there is a "type" of person who works there - I expect there is an emphasis on diversity in the recruitment strategy.

I think one thing that they will want to know in any interview, is why you want to work there, and will be looking for genuineness in your response. That, I expect, applies to any law firm interview and is something I'd think long and hard about - you really need to be able to provide a detailed answer.

travelfish

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
So is there anyone here who isn't looking to go into commercial law with a major law firm after graduation?

ie. Anyone looking to go into human rights or community law etc?
I think both areas can be rewarding and give one a great sense of personal fulfilment. At the same time, however, it is extremely difficult for a recently graduated law student to start out in either field as a career. I'll state confidentally that it is significantly harder to get a job working full time in a CLC after finishing university, than it is to get a job in commercial law. Not because the recruitment policies of CLCs are particularly demanding, but rather, because there simply isn't many jobs available.

If you did want to work in a CLC my advice would be:

- work as a legal practitioner in a small firm, for atleast 5 or so years; and
- at the same time volunteer at a CLC one day or evening a week (many are open for evening advice one day a week).

Then, if and when a job becomes available at a CLC apply. You will be in good stead because you will have experience in the areas of law that they require (such as fines, local court work, family, Victims of Crime, etc), and already be familiar with working in a CLC .

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)