Anyone ready for UMAT? (1 Viewer)

Mathew587

HSC
does anyone know if transfering into undergrad med still exists?

A1P

HSC
does anyone know if transfering into undergrad med still exists?
Depends which uni and what you mean by transfer. UNSW WSU JMP accept applications from students who have started, or even completed a uni course (any degree any uni). Some people call this transfer but really not so since it's just re-applying to start Y1 med. Selection for interview and place offer is based on your GPA and/or ATAR plus UMAT.

UNSW also offers 15-20 places to the highest students completing UNSW MedSc (not other unis MedSc) to join halfway into the undergrad/MD course. These are more like transfers and yes they still exist. Also Adelaide/Curtin but there you "transfer" into Y1 med not halfway.

Mathew587

HSC
Depends which uni and what you mean by transfer. UNSW WSU JMP accept applications from students who have started, or even completed a uni course (any degree any uni). Some people call this transfer but really not so since it's just re-applying to start Y1 med. Selection for interview and place offer is based on your GPA and/or ATAR plus UMAT.

UNSW also offers 15-20 places to the highest students completing UNSW MedSc (not other unis MedSc) to join halfway into the undergrad/MD course. These are more like transfers and yes they still exist. Also Adelaide/Curtin but there you "transfer" into Y1 med not halfway.
which unis have "transfers" based on GPA only?
thank you again :))

A1P

HSC
which unis have "transfers" based on GPA only?
UNSW combines your GPA & ATAR into an equivalent rank.
WSU requires *either* ATAR 95.5 (ie. if already have that GPA won't matter), or GPA 6.1 for 1 year of uni, 6.0 for > 1year, 5.6 completed degree.
JMP requires "Close to Credit average" for incomplete degree.

Adelaide & Curtin are also GPA only I think but unlike the above you have to be their students to apply.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Not sure if right place but, can someone help me? I think there might be an error in the answers but not sure. (maybe my logic is really that bad lol)

A classroom window was broken today. You know that two students were responsible. There were 4 students inside the classroom, Allen, Beatrice, Camille and Donald. You know that two of them are the ones who broke the window, and you also know that all four of them saw who did it. After asking each of them in turn who broke the window, you receive the following replies.
A: C and myself did it.
B: A and D did it.
C: B and myself did it.
D: A and B did it.
Given that one of them told the complete truth, two of them told half-truths (i.e. they only named one guilty student correctly) and one of them told a complete lie, and assuming that it is one of the guilty students who told the complete lie, which of the students was the one who told the complete lie?
A) A
B) B
C) C
D) D

Part of the sol I don't get: The other method of solution is similar and involves recognising that the culprit who is telling a complete lie cannot name themselves, as this would be inconsistent. Thus, B or D is the culprit who told the complete lie. (I followed it up til this part).

Assuming Donald is the culprit who told the complete lie, then A and B are not culprits whilst C is the other culprit. However, by looking at C's statement it can be seen in this situation she is also telling a complete lie. Since only one student told a complete lie, this answer is not correct and Donald cannot be the culprit who told the complete lie.
Answer: B tells the complete lie.

Assume C tells the complete truth (so B and C are the two who did it). Then we can see that:

• B must be telling the complete lie (since neither D nor A did it, yet B says these two did it)
• A and D both tell half-truths (each identifies precisely one of the two culprits (B or C)).

As this is multiple choice and time-pressured, once we have found this consistent solution, we would just pick (B) and move on.

(To show uniqueness of the solution, which is not required for such an MCQ, we can just go through the other possibilities of who tells the complete truth (A, B, or D) and we'll see we always run into a contradiction.)

Last edited:

FootballRobotic

HSC
N/A

Hey I was browsing this thread and your response couldn't help catching my eye haha xP How does one transfer halfway in? it says on the website the undergrad is 6 years but the med sci is 7 years, where does the extra year fit in?

A1P

HSC
How does one transfer halfway in? it says on the website the undergrad is 6 years but the med sci is 7 years, where does the extra year fit in?
The MedSt/MD course is 3+3 with most of the 3rd year being a research project. The MedSc transferees, after being selected at end of their 2nd year, need to complete the MedSc plus do a research year (Honours?) before joining MD thus 4+3.

You seem overconcerned about "losing" a year. As @iStudent already replied, after not making in directly from Y12 you'll be among the lucky ones to get in the following year. Most will do a Bachelor first then apply for MD total 7 years. With 1+6 you are not worse off, 1+5 at WSU/JMP is even shorter.

lustforlife

HSC
Hey BOSers,

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE SITTING THE UMAT TOMORROW! HOPE YOU ALL GET THE PERCENTILES YOU DESERVE!

P.S. Didn't know my first post would get that amount of replies and views!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Hey BOSers,

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE SITTING THE UMAT TOMORROW! HOPE YOU ALL GET THE PERCENTILES YOU DESERVE!

P.S. Didn't know my first post would get that amount of replies and views!
rep just cos of username

chickencoop

HSC
Welp i started prepping last night. Gna half arse this. I pray for a miracle story D:

Sara1324

HSC
People please im really panicking now. My last exam on medentry is 23 percentile ranking. What do you think ill get in UMAT? Dont say youre compared to smart people, more than 50% of the actual UMAT students do it. Any thought of what ill get?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
What has everyone gotten in ACER paper 1? In the process of doing it atm

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
People please im really panicking now. My last exam on medentry is 23 percentile ranking. What do you think ill get in UMAT? Dont say youre compared to smart people, more than 50% of the actual UMAT students do it. Any thought of what ill get?
Nope

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)