are you rich? if yes, you're automatically a liberal voter. (1 Viewer)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I have divorced parents. Dad's moderate, but votes mostly labour. Mum's a lefty, who votes Labour/Greens. Dad's a "richish" barrister, Mum works is TAFE manager. I don't know my place in this debate. I will most likely vote Labour, but that has nothing to do with my relative wealth. Unlike some, I believe in the distribution of wealth, and lean also towards the Labour-side of the debate with regards to social issues. Don't like the recent censorship contention however, and will use my time as an underaged non-voter to contemplate my political position. Again, this has nothing to do with my being well-off (at least compared to the average Australian).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
if i were a rich man
ayucka didadiad didididididididdong
all day long i'd biddyboddy bong
if i were a wealthy man

i wouldnt have ta woik hard
ayaka didadidadida diddiadiaidong

if i were diddle-diddy LIBRAL maaaaaAAAN

/intensly 'fiddles'

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
If I was a rich girl
nananananananana!
If I had all the money in the world
If I was a wealthy ger, er, er, erl

(This is just in regards to Sydney here...)
Everyone says that because I live in Lane Cove I'm automatically classified as "rich" so I'm going with that here.

Basically your saying that almost everyone on the North Shore is a Liberal voter because we're all "rich"? My dad is a manager in the printing industry... quite good pay imo and voted Labor in the last election (I have nfi what my mum voted). However my extremely well off auntie and uncle (also from the North Shore) both voted Liberal because my uncle met John Howard and was completely inspired or something along those lines.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
the success of this thread is cause for grief

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
bos went banana republic for a while

wasnt v funny

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Comrade, who spends a greater percentage of their wage on goods and services? The GST was simply a strategy of unloading a portion of the tax burden upon the aristocracy on to true blue fair dinkum aussie battlers who are working overtime to make ends meet. It was a tax inflicted not upon their employment but on their whole life, from the moment they get up in the morning and brush their teeth to when they pull their old valiant in the driveway at 11pm the tax has been on their very existance, on their living, the toothpaste? TAXED, the international roast he had to get himself going? TAX, the hair cuts his kids needed? TAXED the petrol he was using to drive the car? TAXED/ It was the "spit in the face of true Australians" tax.
Or possibly it was strategy to shift taxation to expenditure, so as to reduce the disincentive to earn. A tax to allow 'true Australians' to reach their earning potential and not be penalised by government for doing so.

I think you need to compare the taxation systems and scales under Howard and his predecessors before making sweeping ideological statements of the above kind (even in jest).

The vast majority of Australians benefited greatly from the Taxation reforms of the Howard Goverment.

Lentern

HSC
Or possibly it was strategy to shift taxation to expenditure, so as to reduce the disincentive to earn. A tax to allow 'true Australians' to reach their earning potential and not be penalised by government for doing so.

I think you need to compare the taxation systems and scales under Howard and his predecessors before making sweeping ideological statements of the above kind (even in jest).

The vast majority of Australians benefited greatly from the Taxation reforms of the Howard Goverment.
Don't listen to him comrades, he is regurgitating the lies spun by messers Fahey and Costello eleven years ago. The GST was known amongst Packer, Stolkes, Murdoch etc as the "Great Stuff treasurer" reform. Lining the pockets of the aristocracy whilst the common man struggled to make ends meet. The real Australians, the local hero's were the ones who got hit hardest by the GST, Mr Louie and his little corner store grocer, Sam the electrician down the street with three kids and a mortgage, they recived no income tax relief from this final solution of Costello's, instead they just had to pay ten percent more on their sons soccer boots. The incentive to earn was an insult to working families allaround the country, to suggest they were not trying to earn as much as they ethically could, the GST did nothing to ease the squeeze on working families, it may have placed greater prizes at the top of the ladder of opportunity, but it also turned that ladder into a greasy poll. Shame Howard Shame.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Don't listen to him comrades, he is regurgitating the lies spun by messers Fahey and Costello eleven years ago. The GST was known amongst Packer, Stolkes, Murdoch etc as the "Great Stuff treasurer" reform. Lining the pockets of the aristocracy whilst the common man struggled to make ends meet. The real Australians, the loca hero's were the ones who got hit hardest by the GST, Mr Louie and his little corner store grocer, Sam the electrician down the street with three kids and a mortgage, they recived no income tax relief from this final solution of Costello's, instead they just had to pay ten percent more on their sons soccer boots. The incentive to earn was an insult to working families allaround the country, to suggest they were not trying to earn as much as they ethically could, the GST did nothing to ease the squeeze on working families, it made it placed greater prizes at the top of the ladder of opportunity, but it also turned that ladder into a greasy poll. Shame Howard Shame.
:rolleyes:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What's the point in going to such effort to communicate things that you clearly dont believe, Lentern?
Why cant you seriously fight for a cause other than your own vanity?
Does this have something to do with your sexuality :confused:

Lentern

HSC
What's the point in going to such effort to communicate things that you clearly dont believe, Lentern?
Why cant you seriously fight for a cause other than your own vanity?
Does this have something to do with your sexuality :confused:
Oh come now as if you don't do the exact thing with the church, pretending God hates fags and doesn't like abortion and all that nonsense.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Thou shall not kill
Dont be a fag

etc
is clear

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sure you do, fag.
I am a Catholic! I subscribe to the universal moral values of the Church! I believe what I like!

Lentern

HSC
Sure you do, fag.
I am a Catholic! I subscribe to the universal moral values of the Church! I believe what I like!
Do you eat meat on fridays? Do you envy anyone? Do you ever indulge in a nice pigout? Do you judge? My friend, either neither or both of us are going to hell.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
No I dont eat meat on fridays? This is no great sacrifice.
Envy, gluttony and pride are serious sins that are difficult to master. But do you attend confession upon your failings, or are you happy to outrageously call yourself Catholic while dismissing Christian morality?

Lentern

HSC
No I dont eat meat on fridays? This is no great sacrifice.
Envy, gluttony and pride are serious sins that are difficult to master. But do you attend confession upon your failings, or are you happy to outrageously call yourself Catholic while dismissing Christian morality?
I go to confession when I betray God yes. I also place my own interpretations upon what biblical passages, I wish I could trust the cardinals to do it but they don't seem to be able to make up their bloody minds.

For example I impose upon myself not to eat fish on good friday or ash Wednesday because the whole idea of the abstaining was that meat was then a luxury and fish a common, cheap food for the plebs. Seafood is now rather a luxury and it would be far more sensible to eat say a cheap mince then a nice fish. However I normally just eat carrots and greens on good friday and ash wednesday.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)