Australia (2008) (1 Viewer)

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
I'm not quite sure what to think of it at the moment. Mixed reviews for a film I have been excited for for a while leaves me feeling disappointed before I step into the theatre. Same situation with Quantum of Solace.

sirfeathers

HSC
I'm seeing Quantum of Solace today hopefully. Australia looked a bit too corny for my likes. I'll wait for the DVD

jcurry

HSC
Australia looks shit while Quantum of Solace looks good and ive heard good things about it too

johony

HSC
it's an australian film produced for overseas audiences. i haven't seen it, but i do think it's overhyped.

that bloke

HSC
Apparently the aboriginal kid in the movie stops a herd of stampeding cattle by raising an outstretched hand?
The breed of horse used in the film are imports, much taller, prettier and far less hardy than the typical australian stock horse used back then. They also gave the horses hair extensions. And the men are dressed more like sexually confused cowboys than Aussie stockmen.
And old Baz used digital tech to merge the Bungle Bungles ranges of the WA kimberly with a seperate range in NT.
I think that says everything you need to know about who this movie was made for.

nomese23

HSC
I think the movie has been too overhyped and will probably fall short... too much money has been spent on this movie

michael1990

HSC
Was at the premiere.
Didn't get to see the whole movie, but the parts i saw were quite well done.

I do believe the movie will fall short of expectations. But hopefully will redeem Australia's film industry.

that bloke

HSC
how will it redeem our film industry? Its a hollywood film set and shot in Aus, that is all. It has about as much to do with our genuine film industry as the Matrix movies did.
Aussie films like the Black balloon, Two Hands, Candy are better than 99% of the rubbish from hollywood anyway.

GET FREE

HSC
What is this movie even about?
I saw the previews and trailers that kept getting played during the premiere hype on TV, but it seriously just looks like a mega-long ad for tourism.

I'm not even going to bother with it. I was hardly "anticipating its release" anyway.

Dr. Oyster

HSC
Probably the most overated trash ever. The media have been going on and on about it which is fuckin ridiculous.

I refuse to see it no matter how good/crap it is.

Mantello

Banned
HSC
[Movie] Australia

So, last night I watched the pre-screening with the family. My mums work had this offer or something where they were able to get the whole of the company to get in and watch a pre-screening of the movie.

I must say....

Despite any negative comments made about the movie & how it would be portrayed as a bland & 'boring' film...I believe this has been one of the most heartfelt, inspiring movies ever created.

The movie focuses on events based around the time of WW2 in Australia where oblivious to the fact, Japanese armies were to invade Darwin in due time...Nicole Kidman & Hugh Jackman are strangers to eachother in the movie where both are assigned to herd 1500 cattle across the deserts of Northern Territory to Darwin, in order to ship them off to the Americans / Aussies in the war effort. This is NOT the movie though.

The movie mainly focuses on the struggles and hardships of the original custodians of Australia's lands....

The Aboriginals.

A little 10 year old boy being a half cast to an Aboriginal mother & a white father is in the middle of a complication where by the Australian law 'Creamies' are not allowed & are to be sent to Mission Island where they will be in the hand of the good Lord.
The only 'savior' for this little boy are both Nicole & Hugh & his Grandfather who represents as the wizard in the boys eyes. The Aboriginal filled with the magical touch.

What I thought of the movie? I think it was an amazing piece of film. It's not everyday where you have a film released in cinema's worldwide AND you can actually relate to it. Not the events that happened, but everything that takes place with regards to what is said, where it's set & even the good old Aussie slang!

An inspiring story for the Australians. Very well created by Baz. Despite how much I dislike Nicole Kidmans movies, this one she just delivered a masterpiece alongside Hugh Jackman.

I URGE ALL OF YOU TO SEE THIS FILM.

If you have time to watch American action & blood and guts, then i'm sure you have the time to watch an inspiring story that may have affected you & your families in the past.
But the worst thing about this movie, the fact that the majority of critics are American or International. So therefor resulting in bad reviews since they can't relate to it. So it's our jobs as Australians to watch this film in order to achieve a high standard of money made to win maybe an oscar.

Baz tghe director of this film had created the movie, 'Priscilla' and won an OSCAR! I'm sure this film can win one also! :D

PLEASE DON'T SAY YOU WILL DOWNLOAD IT...THAT'S UNFAIR.

chamelia

HSC
Re: [Movie] Australia

K, you have kinda swayed me. I don't know though I still tend to think this wont appeal at all to me personally. But you're passion for it seems to be infectious. I should at least give it a fair go me thinks.

Mantello

Banned
HSC

chamelia said:
K, you have kinda swayed me. I don't know though I still tend to think this wont appeal at all to me personally. But you're passion for it seems to be infectious. I should at least give it a fair go me thinks.
Did you want me to include Edward Cullen in there you fucking gooch?

It's not an infectious passion, it's a passion of understanding OUR history.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Chamelia is Aboriginal. You should be nicer to her. YOUR PEOPLE, the white man, took her away from her family.

Fucken racist white nationalist bigot

chamelia

HSC

Mantello said:
Did you want me to include Edward Cullen in there you fucking gooch?

It's not an infectious passion, it's a passion of understanding OUR history.
Any passion is infectious you dork. Even if it is the passion for education.

boris

Banned
HSC

Aboriginals dont know that rape is illegal. I should hope they centred around that fact in the film?

that bloke

HSC

Mantello said:
The movie mainly focuses on the struggles and hardships of the original custodians of Australia's lands....

The Aboriginals.

The Aboriginal filled with the magical touch.

But the worst thing about this movie, the fact that the majority of critics are American or International. So therefor resulting in bad reviews since they can't relate to it. So it's our jobs as Australians to watch this film in order to achieve a high standard of money made to win maybe an oscar.

the movie mainly focuses on the romance?? as said by Baz himself over and over.
The stolen generation is a sub-story that is poorly focused upon. And this magical touch of the black kids is ridiculous, he stops a herd of stampeding cattle by raising his outstretched hand like he's moses or something? the kid would have been stomped into the dirt.
american critics are the only ones who WILL relate to a movie so horrendously holloywood'ised. The only good reviews ive seen from aussies are from the packer/murdoch? group of newspapers, who coincidentally own 20th Century Fox.... fancy that. Every independent review for the movie has been lukewarm at best.
Sure the movie may be enjoyable in its own right, but don't expect an accurate representation of this country. This movie stinks of Hollywood.

HSC

Mantello said:
A little 10 year old boy being a half cast to an Aboriginal mother & a white father is in the middle of a complication where by the Australian law 'Creamies' are not allowed & are to be sent to Mission Island where they will be in the hand of the good Lord.
The only 'savior' for this little boy are both Nicole & Hugh & his Grandfather who represents as the wizard in the boys eyes. The Aboriginal filled with the magical touch.
Yeah, thanks for confirming a review I read.
I guess I don't know enough about Australian racial politics to opine at length on this movie's vision of its aboriginal characters, but I will say that if my people were subjected to this simultaneously idealizing and condescending "magical Negro" treatment, I would seriously consider aiming a boomerang at Baz Luhrmann's head. All of the native characters, especially Nullah's grandfather, King George (David Gulpilil, who played the lead in the infinitely superior 1971 film Walkabout and who has been seen in many roles since), are benevolent, preternaturally gifted, and ultimately subservient to the white leads. Though much is made of Sarah and Drover's all-but-parental relationship to Nullah, he never stops calling them "Boss" and "Mrs. Boss."

spiny norman

HSC

Mantello said:
Baz tghe director of this film had created the movie, 'Priscilla' and won an OSCAR!
Baz Luhrmann had nothing to do with Priscilla Queen of the Desert and has never won an Oscar.

Therefore your entire review is in disrepute.

I was somewhat hopeful for this film. No longer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)