Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
What a pity Rudd's wife is super rich, we could have found a way to turf the bastard.

Brown is no big loss, the Greens are just a sub-branch of Labor after all. I don't feel anything in regards to his plight, neither delight or sympathy. He made his bed, he can sleep in it.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Brown's appearance on GNW tonight was pretty sickly hey. He was supposed to be having a bit of fun and showing some personality, but instead he chose use the opportunity to sprout politics.

He sure looked out of place.

Lentern

HSC
Brown's appearance on GNW tonight was pretty sickly hey. He was supposed to be having a bit of fun and showing some personality, but instead he chose use the opportunity to sprout politics.

He sure looked out of place.
I think Ted Robinson is a longtime supporter of Brown and is well aware of his present problems. I suspect it was a bit of a boost his public profile, make him seem like a nice guy gift to try and help Brown raise the money.

Re Browns performance, Good News Week had Stot Despoja on the old show and she just took to it like a duck to water. GNW has since tried to find other politicians who can replicate the chord Despoja struck and as such has had on Amanda Vanstone, Tim Fischer, Bronwyn Bishop, Kate Ellis and Julie Bishop, none of whom really pulled it off(JB was ok, she danced which was funny). But aside from NSJ none of them have ever really been able to create the impression they aren't just using the show for entirely political purposes.

Re Rudd getting turfed, if such a thing did happen the GG would just commision Gillard to form a government (yikes) and issue the writs for a by election in Griffith.

Personally I will be very dissapointed if Brown goes, for the duration of the Howard government he was the leading voice for better treatment of refugees and asylum seekers which was the issue that first got me interested in politics . The greens were the only party that insisted that compensation be a component of the apology to the stolen generation. Was also the first openly gay politician in Australia and I dout either party would have so readilly endorsed gay candidates if the Greens had not allready done so. When approached by Peter Costello about GST votes in the senate he replied "um, no" and that was the end of it.

Seems a pretty extraordinary thing that a may voted into his seat by his state will be forced out of parliament because of his state of finances.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Poor brown. I'm surprised he doesn't have that amount in savings and investments, I guess he must be an active philanthropist. He'll raise the money though, he's too popular and high profile.

Lentern

HSC
Poor brown. I'm surprised he doesn't have that amount in savings and investments, I guess he must be an active philanthropist. He'll raise the money though, he's too popular and high profile.
I understand this trial has thus far cost him in excess of six hundred thousand so whatever savings he had were largely wiped out. I do agree his popularity will deliver him the money though.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Serious, it's not dignified for the prime minister to weigh in on such piddling controversies. He should publicly appear to only be concerned with matters of national importance. It's such a non-issue, he looks like a berk to give his two cents on something so rubbish, a tiff between two insignificant people.

I suspect it's strategic, something his advisors pushed him to say for some sort of change in public image.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But he has been taking heat over the supposedly sexist cabinet.
I think it's a reality that most Australians would be reached through an opinion on something like this. It's a clever and democratic way to slowly worm his way into the affections of everyday people

Tracy Grimshaw

HSC
N/A
Serious, it's not dignified for the prime minister to weigh in on such piddling controversies. He should publicly appear to only be concerned with matters of national importance. It's such a non-issue, he looks like a berk to give his two cents on something so rubbish, a tiff between two insignificant people.

I suspect it's strategic, something his advisors pushed him to say for some sort of change in public image.
How dare you label me 'insignificant', you don't know me! I have the support of the Australian public, and that's all that matters.

blue_chameleon

HSC
I don't know that commenting on tabloid news would be the most convincing opportunity to change his public image (for the better, anyway).

Iron said:
But he has been taking heat over the supposedly sexist cabinet.
I think it's a reality that most Australians would be reached through an opinion on something like this. It's a clever and democratic way to slowly worm his way into the affections of everyday people
Whilst I can't agree on it being 'clever', it's pretty obvious why he made the comment. I'm of the view that there are much more appropriate, more dignified approaches to improving/repairing his public image in regards stocking the cabinet full of sausage.

Rudd's not convincing, and not doing himself an favours here imo.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I think it's a reality that most Australians would be reached through an opinion on something like this.
Absolutely. Personality rules in modern politics. Policy, philosophy, truth is beyond the interest and understanding of most Australians.

And so we are reduced to this.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Meh. Rudd's a realist and a fine media manager. Blame the people, I say. They dont want truth; they want someone to massage their ego
Contours of a tragic age

blue_chameleon

HSC
Absolutely. Personality rules in modern politics. Policy, philosophy, truth is beyond the interest and understanding of most Australians.

And so we are reduced to this.
Meh. Rudd's a realist and a fine media manager. Blame the people, I say. They dont want truth; they want someone to massage their ego
Contours of a tragic age
Why you guys gotta tell it like it is. :(

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

Agreed.

Lentern

HSC

And how does calling Muralitharan a chucker rate upon issues of national importance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)