B Business B computing (1 Viewer)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Depends, there are benefits to both.

BScITDipITProfPrac: Straight IT degree with 1 industrial year, providing you practical experience which is very valuable when looking for a graduate position when you finish uni.

BBusBScIT: Double degree of Business and IT which allows you to do 1 Business major. It opens up your options when you leave uni as you can go into either industry.

Beege

HSC
If i did this double degree. Would I struggle with the financial accounting side of things because i'm only doing general maths but i'm doing business studies and there is a little bit of accounting in it which i'm finding alright.

rormonor

HSC
Well so far, the only maths we've used is addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. So if you can do these basically, you shouldn't have that much trouble calculating stuff.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Beege said:
If i did this double degree. Would I struggle with the financial accounting side of things because i'm only doing general maths but i'm doing business studies and there is a little bit of accounting in it which i'm finding alright.
You shouldn't find the finance and accounting too hard to learn seeing that you've done business studies. If you are finding finance and accounting hard, you do not have to choose it as a business major. There are many other business majors in which maths is used rarely or not used at all.

In terms of Maths in the core subjects, like rormonor said, it is normally just +, -, *, / and you shouldn't find too hard seeing that you have done maths. If you thing you need help in this department, there are normally maths study sessions at the beginning and middle of all of the semesters.
The subjects in which you will use maths are: Accounting , Economics, Business Stats, Accounting 2 (if you are taking it). The other core subjects have close to no maths content in it.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
Ok, so I'm going to transfer to this course in the midsession. I think I would be ok in the commerce side of the course, but for the IT side, does anyone know what subjects will be involved? I need to prepare myself for the IT section of this thing.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Hey Muffinman,

The core subjects for the IT side are listed here: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/stm90651.html. They are pretty much all fundamental couses which will give you an idea of what you can do with your course. So if you are interested in anything, you can choose it as your IT major. The IT majors are listed here: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/cbk90781.html. Taking the inference that you are okey with the business side, the Business Information Systems Management major may be the way to go- it links the business and computing degrees very nicely.

Anyways have a look at the handbook links, as they will give you a general idea of what is involved in each individual subject. Most of the first year subjects do not require any previous knowledge, and start right from the beginning. So I don't think you will have any troubles settling into this course.

Cheers.

MuffinMan

HSC
Cool, any tips on the personal statement guys? I will have a look at the handbook now, thanks heaps :)

Does anyone have the handbooks for the b business section of the course?????

Last edited:

MuffinMan

HSC
Huratio said:
The course you want to transfer to is here: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10219.html

Business Major Choice:
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/cbk90169.html
Business Core Subjects:
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/stm90273.html

Also, if you want a sample personal statement, PM me.

Huratio
cool, I have jemsta's personal statement, but I guess I can use yours to compare and stuff.

Thanks heaps dude :)

Oh isn't this a 5 year course?

2 years uni + 1 year work experience + 2 years uni?

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Mine was an internal transfer personal statement as per PM.

There is no work experience in the BBus/BScIT course you are transferring into. You may be thinking about the BScIT/DipITProfPrac, where the Diploma part involves 9 months work experience.

MuffinMan

HSC
Huratio said:
Mine was an internal transfer personal statement as per PM.

There is no work experience in the BBus/BScIT course you are transferring into. You may be thinking about the BScIT/DipITProfPrac, where the Diploma part involves 9 months work experience.
ok 4 full is ok :)
hoping to get some advanced standing

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Which IT or business subjects have you done?

I can tell you which ones you may get exemptions in.

MuffinMan

HSC
c++ :eek: I'm not really sure if they even do c++ at uts though, probably at second year or something.

Last edited:

MuffinMan

HSC
Huratio said:
You will probably get an exemption in Programming Fundamentals.. http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/subjects/31267.html, in which you learn Java.
???
How does c++ equate to java????

also I did alot of computer science ethics subjects (2 - 1 d, 1 incomplete (doing it now) a subject called intro to management, statistics, and communications engineering

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
It doesn't equate. I'm not sure how the system works, but I got exemptions on the old Programming Fundamentals (where you learn VB) from doing a subject called Object-Oriented Programming (where you learn Java).

Intro to Management --> Managing People and Organisations [21129]
Statistics --> Business Statistics [26134]
I'm not sure about cs ethics or communications engineering.

Tsubasa

HSC
Huratio said:
I'm not sure about cs ethics or communications engineering.
Computer science ethics should be Communications in IT proffesional, i think. (new subject)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Maybe.. Communications in IT professionals is a post-2006 subject, thats why I don't know about it =p

MuffinMan

HSC
ok guys I've finished my personal statement. Do you think I can post it on bos for you guys to check or will UTS be a stingy bitch and not even consider my application when they find a copy of it on bos?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)