B.Commerce/B.Laws: Transferring, WAM and employment opportunities (1 Viewer)

Naz1234

HSC
Re: Please understand my dire situation (ALL FAIL) and HELP ME CHOOSE FROM MY OPTIONS

Dude dont transfer to a different degree. Stay with what you have. Get your act together. Get a piece of paper and start planning.
Just write anything that might save you. You can improve BUT you gotta work your ass off.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Please understand my dire situation (ALL FAIL) and HELP ME CHOOSE FROM MY OPTIONS

I had some crazy shit happen with me earlier this year around the start of semester and I did fine. You said that the time after HSC was crazy, I get the feeling that it wasn't all crazy when uni started.

Why are you performing so poorly?

Also, transferring won't make you better, no matter what uni it is but if you do transfer and get a new transcript, if you mess up, what are you gonna do?

Last thing, this is YOUR life. If you let things mess it up for you, it's your fault for not preventing it - that's what life is about.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

I had some crazy shit happen with me earlier this year around the start of semester and I did fine. You said that the time after HSC was crazy, I get the feeling that it wasn't all crazy when uni started.

Why are you performing so poorly?

Also, transferring won't make you better, no matter what uni it is but if you do transfer and get a new transcript, if you mess up, what are you gonna do?

Last thing, this is YOUR life. If you let things mess it up for you, it's your fault for not preventing it - that's what life is about.
in terms of job prospects which one would be better?

Also in terms of prestige which one would be better (considering both prestige of uni and course itself)

enoilgam

HSC

Also in terms of prestige which one would be better (considering both prestige of uni and course itself)
To be perfectly honest, prestige is the least of your worries.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

To be perfectly honest, prestige is the least of your worries.
IK. But to me it is because of the sub society I fit into.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad

I assume that you come from one of those 'top 100 schools' where kids just memorise the content and think they'll do well - but it doesn't work in university.
People like you angry me, so many kids out there... work so hard to get to university and don't even make it into a decent course; let alone doing Economics at USYD. I myself come from a low socio-economic school ranked ~464/516 in the state and know how unfortunate those hard working kids are!
Firstly, stop blaming your current situation or problems for your bad results as everyone has problems! Some of my friends are international students from China and have no one here to support them. They are having a constant battle between affording living amenities; whilst at the same time getting a decent education. Your results are just a reflection of how much effort you've put into your course.
Secondly, transferring to law/commerce will not make a difference if you can't get your act together. In fact, you'd fail harder there with the same attitude as the course is much more challenging.
My final advice is to forget about the past and try your hardest to compensate the bad results that you've already achieved. If you believe that you are motivated enough to tackle law/commerce and a new start will diminish your bad results, then go ahead and transfer. But if you travel as you are at the moment, the future is not looking good for you!

albertcamus

HSC

lol m8 at this rate you won't graduate out of a UWS course, so don't bother about these external factors and just work hard at uni.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Prestige doesn't mean anything when it comes to employment especially if you're failing to this extent

Also someth1ng is saying stuff which has nothing to do with prestige yet for some reason you've brought it up as a reply.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

If you're failing, I'll be honest, prestige of the uni will mean jack shit.

I assume that you come from one of those 'top 100 schools' where kids just memorise the content and think they'll do well - but it doesn't work in university.
People like you angry me, so many kids out there... work so hard to get to university and don't even make it into a decent course; let alone doing Economics at USYD. I myself come from a low socio-economic school ranked ~464/516 in the state and know how unfortunate those hard working kids are!
Firstly, stop blaming your current situation or problems for your bad results as everyone has problems! Some of my friends are international students from China and have no one here to support them. They are having a constant battle between affording living amenities; whilst at the same time getting a decent education. Your results are just a reflection of how much effort you've put into your course.
Secondly, transferring to law/commerce will not make a difference if you can't get your act together. In fact, you'd fail harder there with the same attitude as the course is much more challenging.
My final advice is to forget about the past and try your hardest to compensate the bad results that you've already achieved. If you believe that you are motivated enough to tackle law/commerce and a new start will diminish your bad results, then go ahead and transfer. But if you travel as you are at the moment, the future is not looking good for you!
Some of these words are quite harsh and I can understand why. I went to a school ranked in the 600s before moving to PHS and so, I know what it's like at those sort of schools.

I do agree with the memorisation and how it only gets you so far in uni (and by extension, life). I do get the impression that he is one of those people that have only gotten few difficulties in his life, got a big one then couldn't cope well because he's had to easy for too long. sghguos, you need to accept that you need to take responsibility in your life. Sure, you might fail here and there but running away from it doesn't look good at all. As an employer, the university will matter but it won't be anywhere near the top of the list. Take some initiative and do things yourself - reach out.

Last edited:

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Ty s0mething I have to admit what u predicted about me all true.

ALSO GUYS

What would be the employability of a commerce/law degree at macquarie with a credit average compared
To lets say a b.eco with a distnction average.

Roscosmos

HSC

Transfer to Macquarie. If you fail more than 2 subjects in a year then drop out and pick up a trade.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Transfer to Macquarie. If you fail more than 2 subjects in a year then drop out and pick up a trade.
Thank u.
These are the type of answer im lookin for. I already know I need to change my attitude.

Anyone else?

lee337

HSC
Uni Grad

I'd take the transfer if you want to continue with uni, thus giving you a fresh transcript and another chance.
Kind of off topic, but is this true?

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Kind of off topic, but is this true?
its one of the main reason for me considering transfer mate.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad

but why would you pick up law if you are bad at essays, just stick to a bcom at macq?

lee337

HSC
Uni Grad

its one of the main reason for me considering transfer mate.
Ohh, strong reason man.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
You dont even freaking read what I wrote on my thread.

someone pls read my thread and aanswer

Last edited by a moderator:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

What sort of answer are you looking for?

Your post is largely concerned with what you can do to increase your employability.

The reason that everyone keeps commenting how important it is to fix your issues first is because no amount of prestige or course switching is going to matter if you do not make a seriously significant improvement to your marks

You're acting like someone who has just had their leg cut off, and is more interested in which brand of tourniquet to use rather than seeking medical assistance.

kittystar

HSC

What sort of answer are you looking for?

Your post is largely concerned with what you can do to increase your employability.

The reason that everyone keeps commenting how important it is to fix your issues first is because no amount of prestige or course switching is going to matter if you do not make a seriously significant improvement to your marks

You're acting like someone who has just had their leg cut off, and is more interested in which brand of tourniquet to use rather than seeking medical assistance.
^ This.

If you don't fix your issues, after the transfer you'd be likely just to spiral into the exact same situation. This is YOUR life, not ours. We can only recommend what your options are, not set out plans for your life. If you're not enjoying Eco then the obvious reason is to drop out. If you're passionate about it then pull yourself together and put everything you've got into finishing it as best you can.

izzy88

HSC

Like what has already been said in this thread, you need to work out why you had such a difficult first semester and make sure that you are able to overcome those issues before continuing studies (whether at MQ or USYD). If the personal issues which made semester 1 very difficult are continuing, perhaps consider deferring university for semester 2 to work on those issues (or go part time). There's no point transferring if you end up repeating the mistakes made in semester 1 and fail subjects again.

I would suggest talking to university councillors/academic support - they may be able to provide advice on how to approach uni/improve your marks; and also advise on potential careers (although at this point in time, I think employment prospects should be the least of your concerns). University prestige doesn't matter if you keep on failing subjects and courses. Link to usyd counselling/academic support here: http://sydney.edu.au/current_students/counselling/

One possibility to look into is whether you can defer the transfer to MQ so that you start semester 1 next year? (or if you stay at usyd, defer studies in semester 2 and start back semester 1 next year). This might give you some time to sort out what you want to do and fix up your approach to university and subjects. I had quite a few friends that went straight from school to uni, and realised that they didn't know what they wanted to do/what they were doing, and deferred uni for semester 2 and then came back the next year (they either went on holidays, worked - had a break from study basically in that time off).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)