Back up to medical degree .. (1 Viewer)

lvella10

HSC
So my aim is to eventually study an mbbs as either an undergrad after year 12, or as a grad .. I can't decide however upon what I'd do as an alternate undergraduate degree. Here are my options:

Bachelor of Nursing ( advanced studies ) - Usyd
Bachelor of Science ( Major - Anatomy or Neuroscience ) - Usyd/ Unsw
Bachelor of Engineering/ Bachelor of Science - Uts
Bachelor of Science /Bachelor of Law - Uws
Bachelor of Education ( Science ) - Anywhere really
Bachelor of Medical Science - Anywhere also
Bachelor of Biomedical Engineering - Unsw

Each has their merits and based upon my own interests I'd like to do the nursing degree, but I'm not certain for many reasons ( Not salary or gender based ) .. Opinions on what degree you all would take :)

HSC
Uni Grad
however, on the contrary

med sci is a great environment where everyone has the same goals and ambitions as you, the support will keep you motivated

lvella10

HSC
That's what I thought .. Which is why my tendency is leaning toward nursing because at least I'll have a job to fall back on .. Is the science learnt throughout the med science / science degrees really that beneficial for Gamsat, or would self study be sufficient?

HSC
Uni Grad
it's just the basic first year content i've heard

if you did bio and chem in high school then first year should be easy to self-learn (in my experience)

HSC
Uni Grad
p.s. i'm a 1st year med sci student at unsw

there are some parts that i don't like (poor job prospects) but if i could go back i'm not sure if i'd change anything

lvella10

HSC
I did/ am doing chemistry, however not bio.
It does seem like an enjoyable course, however the job prospects limit my willingness to apply

Thanks for your insight and quick replies btw :)

lvella10

HSC
Any opinion on the combined law degree at uws? I've heard there are really limited job prospects in law, especially if I were from a "lesser" university .. I know I only plan on doing it as a pathway into medicine, but I'd like to think I could get a job if all turns sour for me

HSC
Uni Grad
i can't really talk but in general, if you're good at it you'll get a job

but you should reconsider your desire to study law, it sounds like you're just picking law without really thinking about it

lvella10

HSC
Yeah I'm sort of neither here nor there with law .. I had considered doing it as an undergraduate to potentially bolster my chances of getting into medical law/being a board member etc after my normal medical career .. I did prelim business studies and really enjoyed it, but dropped to lessen the load for year 12
I guess I like the idea of being a lawyer, but probably not the degree ( which answers my original question too I guess :p )
I just don't want to do nursing and end up being stuck in a career where I don't get to have much of an opinion

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
do a bachelor of arts.
get HD with 0 effort.
use free time to study for GAMSAT.
get into med.
win

lvella10

HSC
I'd considered it , but I thought universities had a set limit of HD's on offer?

lvella10

HSC
Anyone know the likelihood of transferring after a year given I meet umat and Gpa requirements? I can't see them offering too many places .. I know uws offer 6 spots from all their advanced science degrees, however no one states the likelihood of transferring if completing an alternate degree/ being at an alternate university

HSC
Uni Grad
at uws you'll be put in the same group as high schoolers

same with newcastle

same with unsw

jcu (?) and tassie have different groups, at utas it works to our advantage, at jcu it doesn't

lvella10

HSC
at uws you'll be put in the same group as high schoolers

same with newcastle

same with unsw

jcu (?) and tassie have different groups, at utas it works to our advantage, at jcu it doesn't

Thanks for that .. I wasn't aware of the situation at jcu and utas
In what way is it disadvantageous at jcu?

lvella10

HSC
My school is listed as being in area of disadvantaged status .. From what I'm aware of JCU med offers interviews to interstate non rural applicants whom achieve around 97, yet 94 if I was rural .. Would being deemed disadvantaged subject me to similar cut offs as rural applicants?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)