Back up to medical degree .. (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
but you should reconsider your desire to study law, it sounds like you're just picking law without really thinking about it
Cannot stress this enough - dont do law "just because you can". The last thing you want to end up doing is too be sitting in a high workload degree whilst having little motivation for it.

lvella10

HSC
Cannot stress this enough - dont do law "just because you can". The last thing you want to end up doing is too be sitting in a high workload degree whilst having little motivation for it.
Yeah I most likely wouldn't do law .. Was just an option I wanted some feedback on :)
If my umat is poor , then I think I'll do nursing at Usyd and try transferring

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
orly. wouldve thought its quite competitive given that 80% of people in med sci are aiming for med.
It is - in second year where everyone's together. In first year, medsc students are inter-dispersed with a gazillion other students doing maths/chem for whatever degree they're doing.

lvella10

HSC
Former, I guess.

For a high WAM, do maths/science at the advanced level.
Do you recommend any of the medical science degrees over another? I don't see too much difference between their course structures/ units covered

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you recommend any of the medical science degrees over another? I don't see too much difference between their course structures/ units covered
If I didn't get into medicine, I'd personally have taken MedSc at usyd. You just need a 65 average for med - put every last ounce of effort into the GAMSAT as Dr_Fresh outlined.

SunnyScience

HSC
If I didn't get into medicine, I'd personally have taken MedSc at usyd. You just need a 65 average for med - put every last ounce of effort into the GAMSAT as Dr_Fresh outlined.
Is 65 'hard' to obtain? Do you think I could do it? (Just off the bat)

(not sure if this counts as hi-jacking :p)

lvella10

HSC
Thanks for your opinion and the clarification of the average marks :)

HSC
Uni Grad
orly. wouldve thought its quite competitive given that 80% of people in med sci are aiming for med.
yeah but you can still be 'good' at something even if everyone else is better than you

e.g. higher maths, the uni knows that most of the kids in there are smarty pants, even those in the bottom quartile

HSC
Uni Grad
Is 65 'hard' to obtain? Do you think I could do it? (Just off the bat)

(not sure if this counts as hi-jacking :p)
depends on the person

i got a ~relatively~ high atar (98.55) without much study

and i got HDs in everything without much study

because for me, maths and science is super easy to grasp and understand

but it's not for everyone

---

but imo at university level, it's like hsc, you can get whatever you want if you're willing to work hard enough

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
depends on the person

i got a ~relatively~ high atar (98.55) without much study

and i got HDs in everything without much study

because for me, maths and science is super easy to grasp and understand

but it's not for everyone

---

but imo at university level, it's like hsc, you can get whatever you want if you're willing to work hard enough
"without much study"

At least 10 times more study than me.

lvella10

HSC
I get the feeling you two are what most would consider "really smart" :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I get the feeling you two are what most would consider "really smart" :p
hahaha no. I bombed out this semester.

I'm on a 68 WAM average/5 GPA average, looking to get to it better next sem though. :/

Last edited:

lvella10

HSC
Still not too bad :)
Nice degree! My friend wants to do the exact same next year without the med science part .. How much hsc extension maths and physics is involved in that course?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Still not too bad :)
Nice degree! My friend wants to do the exact same next year without the med science part .. How much hsc extension maths and physics is involved in that course?
it's pretty shit.

It's okay. I'm probs swapping to BE(Chem&Biomol)/BSc(Adv) next year if I don't get into MBBS.
Well, Extension One Maths is required for the regular units and I did advanced where Extension Two Maths is required, but I didn't do physics in the HSC and I did Regular Physics last semester (which I barely passed. Haha) and it was pretty much Extension Two Maths + Physics + harder. :/

But I don't think there's as much of a difference between advanced and regular physics as subjects such as chemistry and Maths.
And advanced and regular biology are like the same too.

lvella10

HSC
Well hopefully you get into medicine .. I find it sad seeing all these wannabe med kids lerking around these forums lol
Haha I could just imagine how hard the physics would be .. I know I'd struggle with it -_-
The fact biology seemed similar is good though :) Not that I do biology haha

Did you get any med interview offers straight out of year 12? If you don't mind me asking .. I'm just trying to calm my nerves before umat on wednesday

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Does maintaining a good WAM at Sydney in any way contribute to your chances of getting into graduate medicine?

It's not my original choice, but if my current path doesn't live up to my expectations I'd like to have a back up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)