Banking internships 2009/10 (2 Viewers)

tofu

HSC
Is it weird that I'm receiving notice of an intention 'to consider your application' from the Banking & Finance division at Macquarie at this stage? I applied ages ago, hadn't heard anything, and assumed all these positions had been filled by now :S.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Is it weird that I'm receiving notice of an intention 'to consider your application' from the Banking & Finance division at Macquarie at this stage? I applied ages ago, hadn't heard anything, and assumed all these positions had been filled by now :S.
Perhaps some other candidates have dropped out and they still have offers available?

If the email said that they're 'keeping your details on file' then that's a negatory, otherwise you may be in luck.

tofu

HSC
The email is to the effect that they have received an 'overwhelming' number of applications and 'are still in the process of reviewing applications'.

It's hard to take this at face value, but maybe the Group is genuinely behind in reviewing applications.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I don't think so. The deadline for some divisions was extended from 14th of July (originally) to 14th of August. I got a similar reply as well recently.

04er

HSC
Did anyone apply to the Risk Management division at Macquarie? They said they'd try to reply by today but I haven't heard anything yet... =/

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Gah!...Macquarie are certainly taking their time! I really wish they didn't extend the deadline a month later. I'd much prefer the interview/pschometric test in the early weeks of semester rather than deep into the middle of semester where I also have to worry about mid-semester exams and quizzes etc :(

Hardenne

HSC
yeah I think macquarie are making a big mistake by being so slow. All the people who get offers from the other banks (who are efficient) are accepting the those obviously rather than keeping waiting for macq.

3li

HSC
N/A
hardenne i think u shuld still go to it - i think its good interview practice regardless. im still going to the interview cos will be having dinner at king st wharf after neways

Hardenne

HSC
lol sounds like you're going to the interview cause its convenient? Which division you in for anyway? But nah I'm not saying don't go to the interviews, I'm just saying Macq is shooting themselves in the foot and losing the better applicants to the other banks by being so slow.

Last edited:

AlternateAlt

HSC
N/A
Basic question, but does anyone know if you usually get 25/26 December off during the internships?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
lol sounds like you're going to the interview cause its convenient? Which division you in for anyway? But nah I'm not saying don't go to the interviews, I'm just saying Macq is shooting themselves in the foot and losing the better applicants to the other banks by being so slow.
Hopefullyit's not too big a loss for them and they'll be able to get through this financial year unscathe.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Basic question, but does anyone know if you usually get 25/26 December off during the internships?
Interns getting Christmas off? Most certainly not!!!

Of course they wouldn't allow the lowest ranked employee's Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off! That only happens in Government.

3li

HSC
N/A
has anyone been lucky enough to negotiate a internship or part time work with their bank?> and if so - wat was ur spiel? feel free to pm me

i,.e. get more than 1 offer at a bbib and negotiate to do a further internship with a rival??

i know of two ppl doing that i.e. 10 weeks then 4 weeks, the other 10 weeks then 6 weeks.

its gna eat into university but some banks have been lenient and are willing to take interns up until mid march.

rationale is so u see which team u fit best in and firm culture b4 u grad

Nick151090

HSC
Just out of curiosity. Would having 2 years work experience (cadetship) with PwC help alot with getting an interview/intership placement?

yh88

HSC
Interesting to take someone with IBD and Audit experience for prop trading. They are all completely different skill sets. Along with a non quant degree - must have interviewed very well/have a good CV.

Do you they put you up in a hotel for 2-3 months?

Haha to clarify - I applied for equities research only and during my interview with UBS head of equities i spoke a lot about my cfd trading experience. He asked me where I thought the price of crude oil was heading and what my views were on the US dollar in the long run. He must have liked my answers because he later offered me a role in prop trading...subject to availability.

Hoping that offer still stands when i start :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)