Beijing Olympics 2008 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
"Ukraine Olympic silver medallist Lyudmila Blonska has tested positive to anabolic steroids at the Beijing Olympic Games and faces a life time ban from sport."

lol

Charizard

HSC
stazi said:
funding is a lot of the equation, but not everything.

india has a massive population and an economy increasing at a very fast rate. you could invest billions of dollars into sports if the govt wanted

Also, Ukraine's economy is shite, but they're 10th. Italy's isn't amazing and they're 9th.

Some of the world's richest countries (the oil countries) buy lots of athletes, but still don't get many medals

edit; and what GB did was a marketer's tactic. Where are the biggest gaps we can exploit? Cycling doesn't have that much funding historically (I'm assuming) and they decided to focus most of their sports spend on that area
I think it was more GB have a history of being very good at cycling, then that it was severly underfunded. sort of like 'picking a winner" except they already knew they would probably win.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
stazi said:
funding is a lot of the equation, but not everything.

india has a massive population and an economy increasing at a very fast rate. you could invest billions of dollars into sports if the govt wanted

Also, Ukraine's economy is shite, but they're 10th. Italy's isn't amazing and they're 9th.

Some of the world's richest countries (the oil countries) buy lots of athletes, but still don't get many medals

edit; and what GB did was a marketer's tactic. Where are the biggest gaps we can exploit? Cycling doesn't have that much funding historically (I'm assuming) and they decided to focus most of their sports spend on that area
india don't really spend that much on their olympic sports, they're all about cricket. with the ukraine, i guess they've got some naturally talented olympians, same with italy. but, for example, the GB put so much extra funding into their olympics campaign this year (because they've got the next games) and it's sure paid off. i've also read a few articles about how the governmet needs to put more funding into the AIS, so i guess that's a start.

Charizard said:
Just look as great britian. They tripled their funding to cycling and look how many medals they won this year.

A lot
exactly.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/19/2339636.htm?section=justin

stazi

Nightman
HSC
north korea spends a ridiculous amount on their athletes, i would presume, but look at how well they perform...

also, i don't see why ukraine would have more natural athletes. perhaps they just have mandatory sports programs in schools focusing on things like athletics and gymnastics where they do very well.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
i'm doing work

is the bball over? results? :)

and fucking lol at that first pic

Charizard

HSC
stazi said:
north korea spends a ridiculous amount on their athletes, i would presume, but look at how well they perform...

also, i don't see why ukraine would have more natural athletes. perhaps they just have mandatory sports programs in schools focusing on things like athletics and gymnastics where they do very well.
North korea probably don't spend as much as you think. I don't even think they have much facilities there to train at.

Ukraine is just one of those eastern europe countries that perfroms well in particular sports. Maybe you could trace it back to the USSR days when they dominated and link a relationship to that, or else, like Australia, it just might be culturally ingrained to play sport.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
considering how much of their ideology is centred around national pride, I would guess that government spending will be going towards things like erecting giant gold statues and sports.

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
bball results still wanted!
don't make me get lube up my baseball bat!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
your.knee said:
bball results still wanted!
don't make me get lube up my baseball bat!
it's not hard.

seven's olympics site
beijing site

australia lost 162-88

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
yea but i thought i'd get a quick response here

and damn thats rough!

sally mclennen should've played

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nah that's not the real score. it was like 115-85 or something. lol at spearman dancing around and shit, thinking he's won. he still doesn't realise he's disqualified

stazi

Nightman
HSC
im pissed off they cut away when he was hearing the news :( i wanted to lol more

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
oh damn, forgot about the 200m

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
Insane Bolt 19.60, New World Record

The candidates for Next Years Laureus World Sportman of the Year Award are:
  • Rafael Nadal
  • Michael Phelps
  • Usain Bolt
One of these 3 are gonna be crowned Laureus World Sportman of the Year next year.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Charizard said:
like Australia, it just might be culturally ingrained to play sport.
iirc, at least as of a few years ago, Australia was second only to the US in absolute spending on it's olympic teams. Which is an interesting point to consider with all the bullshit you hear every games about how Australia's performance is amazing for a country of its size etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)