BoS - your one-stop destination for cheating in the HSC (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What I'm trying to get at and what I think is a more interesting discussion than whether the article is correct or not is where do you draw the line. As a website we allow discussions on cheating to take place on the basis of allowing students freedom to communicate, and hopefully cooler heads will prevail. But in doing so no doubt we do give some students ideas that might not otherwise enter their heads.

Beyond BoS I think it can be applied to other situations, eg should illicit drugs be taught in the classroom in the hopes that students are informed about the risks or do you say nothing so you don't give them the idea in the first place.

enoilgam

HSC
I don't think the article necessarily says we advocate cheating. I do think the deswa quote is misleading by all accounts certainly. But people do talk about methods of cheating openly and we do allow it, that part is accurate. But certainly disappointing that when the author referenced threats of X, Y, Z those threats also came from the same site where the " tips" were.

Tl;dr the article was a bit one sided yes, but it does speak to issues that do get discussed openly here
True - we do discuss cheating, but I think on the whole, many users actively discourage it. The article kind of gives the impression that we promote it and that there is some kind of culture here where everyone shares cheating tips. If they want to see a culture of cheating, they should go see some tutoring colleges.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If anything having it in an open forum is better than letting it stay in the dark. It keeps people aware! I'd liken this to the discussion of security exploits and so forth- if it's in the right environment, it can stimulate minds and lead to better outcomes.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
The SMH only wants attention. Apart from Deswa1 being famous, I don't fully agree about them having to quote him. This BoS doesn't really encourage people to cheat, but to inform them not to. Such typical behaviour from the journalists looking for attention.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
An reporter actually contacted me the other day, I refused.
Same here except on the 9th of October, and I'm not surprised it's Amy. She didn't send me through mobile, but rather as a private message.

Attachments

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I'm surprised that this goy on the front page haha. Obviously there isn't anything else to report :p

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
What I'm trying to get at and what I think is a more interesting discussion than whether the article is correct or not is where do you draw the line. As a website we allow discussions on cheating to take place on the basis of allowing students freedom to communicate, and hopefully cooler heads will prevail. But in doing so no doubt we do give some students ideas that might not otherwise enter their heads.

Beyond BoS I think it can be applied to other situations, eg should illicit drugs be taught in the classroom in the hopes that students are informed about the risks or do you say nothing so you don't give them the idea in the first place.
replace "illicit drugs" with "sexual intercourse"

Capt Rifle

HSC
Wow... Since the HSC is here, journalists think its smart if sum up some points regarding cheating in HSC and quickly directed it towards BOS. I say disregard, and just learn...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)