Can I get 99+ ATAR? (1 Viewer)

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Not necessarily!! It depends on the degree of difficulty of the paper, not the school.
Some years, James Ruse may have easier papers, for e.g. 2010 Bio Trials.
Donot understand this system. Personally, it seems quite bias to award ATAR's and scale marks based on the school's rank.
I do acknowledge that James Ruse may rank 1st in all subjects, but other schools have potential as well.
My friends and I are planning to write a letter to the BOS and UAC to consider each assessment and their degree of difficulty in a fair manner, not just based on school ranks/results.

According to my cousin, the Advanced and Extension English at PHS are way harder than James Ruse!

It's degrading to award marks on the basis of the school's rank. It hinders an individual's potential...
I am referring to the trials papers. The difficulty of the paper does not need to be taken into account at all when referring to the trials as If the paper is easy than every one at t a school such as ruse will do well on that particular paper, if not than they will do less well, nevertheless the ranking will stay the same. In layman terms, easy paper top ruse student=98 second=97 ,hard paper top= 94 second=92. Hence the ranking is independent of the difficulty of the paper.

As you said not in all cases, particularly when a very good student(who literally aces every subject) is attending an average school, yet for 99% of cases ranking must be taken into account.

Examine

same
HSC
Not necessarily!! It depends on the degree of difficulty of the paper, not the school.
Some years, James Ruse may have easier papers, for e.g. 2010 Bio Trials.
Donot understand this system. Personally, it seems quite bias to award ATAR's and scale marks based on the school's rank.
I do acknowledge that James Ruse may rank 1st in all subjects, but other schools have potential as well.
My friends and I are planning to write a letter to the BOS and UAC to consider each assessment and their degree of difficulty in a fair manner, not just based on school ranks/results.

According to my cousin, the Advanced and Extension English at PHS are way harder than James Ruse!

It's degrading to award marks on the basis of the school's rank. It hinders an individual's potential...
Talking about school rank, harder to beat the cohort of jrahs than Parra

SanjoyM

HSC
A school's rank per se isn't used to moderate the marks. The cohort's collective performance at a certain school in the HSC exam is used to get a better understanding of how their school marks can be used to ultimately rank each student with the whole student base which did a particular subject.

Say PHS did very well in Biology with an average mark of 85 in the HSC. As a result, the Board of Studies can use this information to get a better understanding of how students actually performed during the school year as marking and the setting of assignments is subjective across the board.
Oh Thank God! I was scared for a while and lost complete hope of attaining 99+
The average mark for most of the subjects I'm doing are in the 80's - lowest mark - 75+ and above. Is that good?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Are you familiar with how moderation actually works? School rank plays no part with that in theory because of how ranks are determined based on band 6s, but there will ofcourse be a correlation. The way moderation works is quite fair, i dont think many improvements could be made. Think about how many different assesments are taken across the state each year, considering each different task or paper would be impossible with the boards current resources. Additionally if that were done the whole point of the HSC exam itself/standardised test is redundant.

SanjoyM

HSC
I am referring to the trials papers. The difficulty of the paper does not need to be taken into account at all when referring to the trials as If the paper is easy than every one at t a school such as ruse will do well on that particular paper, if not than they will do less well, nevertheless the ranking will stay the same. In layman terms, easy paper top ruse student=98 second=97 ,hard paper top= 94 second=92. Hence the ranking is independent of the difficulty of the paper.

As you said not in all cases, particularly when a very good student(who literally aces every subject) is attending an average school, yet for 99% of cases ranking must be taken into account.

so, would you say I have a chance of achieving 99+
My marks
Advanced English: 97
Extension 1 English: 95
Extension 2 English (viva voce) - 99
Ancient history: 94
Biology: 98
Chemistry: 89
Music: 91
??

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
My marks
??
Your marks for school assessments don't mean anything really.

Alkanes

HSC
Why? My teacher's say it counts 50% towards your HSC final mark?? Isn't this true?
Raw internal marks have no value at all hypothetically speaking. Only value it has is that it determines your internal ranks.

D94

HSC
N/A
Isn't that unfair! Why should an individual's external marks be awarded to someone else? I'm just relieved, I'm coming first! Have to maintain this though!!
Depends on if you're on the receiving end of it or not. But think about it, chances are that the highest exam mark will be performed by the person who came first. The whole year builds up to the HSC, so essentially, the one who masters school assessments should be the one who gets the highest mark.

Sure if you bombed out in one assessment, but you got the highest exam mark, you will still receive that as your exam mark, just not your assessment mark (which will be determined by your rank and cohort performance).

Also, even if that person ranked first gets that highest exam mark for their assessment mark, they still need to perform well in the HSC. If they get say 60 for their HSC exam mark, they will get the average of 60 and the highest exam mark (as that will be their assessment mark).

enoilgam

HSC
Why? My teacher's say it counts 50% towards your HSC final mark?? Isn't this true?
Raw marks are moderate based on your rankings, meaning that the raw marks themselves dont indicate much. School rankings are used to gain perspective with an estimate. Obviously, the person coming first in a subject at your school is probably not as good as the person coming first at James Ruse. If you were to maintain your current ranks, you would probably have a good chance of getting 99+. However, a lot can change from now until the end of the HSC.

D94

HSC
N/A
Raw internal marks have no value at all hypothetically speaking. Only value it has is that it determines your internal ranks.
They do have meaning, as your moderated assessment mark is calculated by your deviation from the mean of raw marks. Also, if your teacher artificially inflates your marks as a whole, those at the top may not experience as much alignment as with someone ranked lower.

SanjoyM

HSC
Depends on if you're on the receiving end of it or not. But think about it, chances are that the highest exam mark will be performed by the person who came first. The whole year builds up to the HSC, so essentially, the one who masters school assessments should be the one who gets the highest mark.

Sure if you bombed out in one assessment, but you got the highest exam mark, you will still receive that as your exam mark, just not your assessment mark (which will be determined by your rank and cohort performance).

Also, even if that person ranked first gets that highest exam mark for their assessment mark, they still need to perform well in the HSC. If they get say 60 for their HSC exam mark, they will get the average of 60 and the highest exam mark (as that will be their assessment mark).
Oh okay, So I still receive my actual exam mark, just the assessment marks that are different?
Awesome! Thanks a lot for explaining this! Less paranoid and anxious :)

SanjoyM

HSC
Raw marks are moderate based on your rankings, meaning that the raw marks themselves dont indicate much. School rankings are used to gain perspective with an estimate. Obviously, the person coming first in a subject at your school is probably not as good as the person coming first at James Ruse. If you were to maintain your current ranks, you would probably have a good chance of getting 99+. However, a lot can change from now until the end of the HSC.
Thank you! Motivated now:):) I really need to maintain my rank/s and achieve 1st place in other subjects as well!!

enoilgam

HSC
Isn't that unfair! Why should an individual's external marks be awarded to someone else? I'm just relieved, I'm coming first! Have to maintain this though!!
Everyone keeps there external mark. The highest external mark becomes the assessment mark of the person ranked first internally.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
My marks
??
You have a chance,but it would be a low range 99 tbh

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Theres no need to write letters.
The system is the fairest it can be and they're not going to listen to a year 12 with the wrong information.
Just do your best! If you are good enough, you can definetely get 99.

Dylanamali

HSC
all you can do is aim for 1sts across all subjects.. after that, aim to smash the external HSC and that will put you in good stead for 99+.
I went to a school ranked 280ish, now 150ish.. and top 3 across all my subjects was sufficient enough to get me 98.75.. however in saying that, i received my own biology and chemistry marks (as I was ranked 1st and topped externally), i misadventured adv eng and received my assessment mark, my mx1 cohort did relatively well (4/8 students received E4's).
1st in bio + chem, 2nd in mx1, 3rd in adv eng and mx2

SanjoyM

HSC
You have a chance,but it would be a low range 99 tbh
Low 99 is quite good, I guess! What marks would I need to achieve in order to attain a 99.95? just wondering, or an ATAR of the high 99's?

SanjoyM

HSC
all you can do is aim for 1sts across all subjects.. after that, aim to smash the external HSC and that will put you in good stead for 99+.
I went to a school ranked 280ish, now 150ish.. and top 3 across all my subjects was sufficient enough to get me 98.75.. however in saying that, i received my own biology and chemistry marks (as I was ranked 1st and topped externally), i misadventured adv eng and received my assessment mark, my mx1 cohort did relatively well (4/8 students received E4's).
1st in bio + chem, 2nd in mx1, 3rd in adv eng and mx2
Awesome! That's like me in Advanced and Extension English :)
Last Year (prelim), I consistently came first in Advanced and Extension English with a final mark of 96, and hope it my first place too this year! My Advancec cohor not that strong, so I have maintain 1st place throughout the year:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)