• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can I get 99+ ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Dylanamali

HSC
oh and another note..
don't get a big head if your smashing your internal assessments.. as they are not necessarily a reliable indication of how you will go in the actual HSC.. as long as you maintain high ranks and develop strong HSC exam technique your set to get whatever atar you desire... essentially if you come 1st in everything, your HSC mark becomes all on you and nothing is relied on your peers.. As most probably your external mark will become your internal mark - as was the case for my bio and chem.

SanjoyM

HSC
Everyone keeps there external mark. The highest external mark becomes the assessment mark of the person ranked first internally.
Wait, so If I'm ranked first and receive an assessment mark of 96 by the school, but in the external exams achieve 98, that means I get 98 for external exams as well as my assessment mark? Are you serious!? BEST new ever! xD

Dylanamali

HSC
Awesome! That's like me in Advanced and Extension English :)
Last Year (prelim), I consistently came first in Advanced and Extension English with a final mark of 96, and hope it my first place too this year! My Advancec cohor not that strong, so I have maintain 1st place throughout the year:)
yeah.. my cohorts were weak as.. so if i didn't come 1st or at least top 3 i knew that I would suffer..
In saying that, some cohorts were stronger then others (e.g. mx1 and eng) so I didn't mind dropping a rank or two.
in the end even if your top 3 and the gaps are relatively small, it'll still put in you in a good place. Because at my school 1st in eng got 94, 2nd got 92, 3rd (me) got 91.. so it wasn't too bad.

Dylanamali

HSC
Wait, so If I'm ranked first and receive an assessment mark of 96 by the school, but in the external exams achieve 98, that means I get 98 for external exams as well as my assessment mark? Are you serious!? BEST new ever! xD
the school doesnt give you a assessment mark.. or if it does (on your report) it doesn't matter.. RANKS matters.
If you came 1st in Biology during your school assessments, and then you get 98 for the external exams, then you will get 98 for your internals and 98 for your externals -> 98 HSC mark + state ranking.

So even if you went to a school where the assessments were CRAZY hard, and you finished with 60% but you were still 1st.. but in the HSC exams you end up getting 96, you will get 96/96 -> 96 HSC mark.. as rank matters not school based assessment mark.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Low 99 is quite good, I guess! What marks would I need to achieve in order to attain a 99.95? just wondering, or an ATAR of the high 99's?
Come 1st in 10 units of your subjects. Then, get 95+ in those 10 units in the HSC. Maybe even higher, because you're not doing any Maths.

SanjoyM

HSC
the school doesnt give you a assessment mark.. or if it does (on your report) it doesn't matter.. RANKS matters.
If you came 1st in Biology during your school assessments, and then you get 98 for the external exams, then you will get 98 for your internals and 98 for your externals -> 98 HSC mark + state ranking.

So even if you went to a school where the assessments were CRAZY hard, and you finished with 60% but you were still 1st.. but in the HSC exams you end up getting 96, you will get 96/96 -> 96 HSC mark.. as rank matters not school based assessment mark.
OMG! Thank you so much:) So happy hearing this!!
I can still get state ranking in English Advanced and Extension :D lol
The school doesn't usually award over 90% for Modules :|
I really want to achieve 98/98 :D

Dylanamali

HSC
OMG! Thank you so much:) So happy hearing this!!
I can still get state ranking in English Advanced and Extension :D lol
The school doesn't usually award over 90% for Modules :|
I really want to achieve 98/98 :D
as i said earlier.. it doesn't matter how the school marks, as long as your 1st and you know that you can achieve highly in the HSC externals.
rep me bizzz. :)

Dylanamali

HSC
IMO, drop music - poor scaler.. unless your a mad musician whose aiming for encore, etc and can get 95+ with ease.

SanjoyM

HSC
Thank you guys! This has really motivated me,especially the fact that school marks does not matter, ranks do!! xD
I will rep you all soon:):)

SanjoyM

HSC
IMO, drop music - poor scaler.. unless your a mad musician whose aiming for encore, etc and can get 95+ with ease.
I'm a performer and have consistently achieved 90+ :)
It's for fun anyway!! :):) If I drop it, I will only have 10 units left.

Dylanamali

HSC
I'm a performer and have consistently achieved 90+ :)
It's for fun anyway!! :):) If I drop it, I will only have 10 units left.
ah k, yeah if you can balance your time that go for it.
but for me, 10 units was the best decision I could make.. opened up so much free time and enabled me to focus on the subjects I knew were going to count

SanjoyM

HSC
ah k, yeah if you can balance your time that go for it.
but for me, 10 units was the best decision I could make.. opened up so much free time and enabled me to focus on the subjects I knew were going to count
That's true, but music relaxes me because its usually during the last period or last two periods:) just a nice break from studies and HSC pressure! + it is only the top10 units that counts anyway:)

I was wondering if you could provide me with some tips on how to study for Biology and Chem exams, and make notes? Please? :)
Really need to ace these subjects! Tried of coming 2nd lol :p

enoilgam

HSC
Yes. The person who comes first internally recieves the highest external mark from their cohort whilst the person coming last recieves the lowest external mark from their cohort as their internal mark. Those in between first and last recieve a moderated mark based on the relative gaps between them and the rest of the cohort (this does NOT mean that 2nd internally recieves the 2nd highest external mark)

Cl324

HSC
N/A
It works both ways. If you get an assessment mark of 100 in school but externally, you get 80, well your internal and external is going to be 80.
You might think you are doing really well in school but in comparison to the rest of the state you might not be performing that great.
Are you just very ambitious or geniusly smart? Seriously nobody in my school aims for 99.95 with state ranks or at least not confident enough to publicise it.
Dont set goals that are too far of reach!

Dylanamali

HSC
It works both ways. If you get an assessment mark of 100 in school but externally, you get 80, well your internal and external is going to be 80.
not neccessarily.. unless 80 is also the top external mark =/.. doubt a cohort could be that bad.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
not neccessarily.. unless 80 is also the top external mark =/.. doubt a cohort could be that bad.
Yeah he was talking about the person ranking first and so was I. I was just trying to make it clearer for the OP :)
And besides, 'the class we failed' LOL

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Using an ATAR calculator, to get 99.95 you need

English Advanced - 96

English Extension 1 - 97

English Extension 2 - 98

Ancient History - 98

Biology - 96

Chemistry - 96

SanjoyM

HSC
You might think you are doing really well in school but in comparison to the rest of the state you might not be performing that great.
Are you just very ambitious or geniusly smart? Seriously nobody in my school aims for 99.95 with state ranks or at least not confident enough to publicise it.
Dont set goals that are too far of reach!
I'm ambitious, motivated and confident!! I'm confident that with consistent hardwork and effort, I will achieve my goal! If I don't attain state ranking or miss out by 1 or 2 marks, atleast I will know I put in the effort and worked my hardest! BTW, I know this goal might be 'out of reach', but it's not impossible! Remember, there's a 'I'm possible' in every impossible!! :)

YES! I'm MOTIVATED and AMBITIOUS!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)