can u use other ppls set text as a related material? (1 Viewer)

Zieb

My set text for changing perspective is Cosi, and it seems noone else does that, an i was wondering if i could use looking for alibrandi as a supplementary text. if yes notes would be helpfull aswell, on both

MiSSi

yes you can use other set texts. i dont do those texts so i dunno if they relate.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Do you mean "prescribed" texts?

E.g. you're doing Prescribed Text A

and another school is doing Prescribed Text B, then I don't think they'll let you.

But if you're sharing the same related/supplementary text, then that will be fine.

That is, if you're doing TWO prescribed texts from the list of prescribed texts, then I don't think you're allowed to do that, since they are from the same list (that makes sense)

If everyone sitting for the HSC uses the same supplementary (additional, related) text, then that won't be a problem, assuming everyone finds the same text, knows how to integrate it into their response, etc :)

I don't believe you're able to use OTHER "set" (or prescribed) texts, even if you're not doing it.

(Because someone in my class asked if he's allowed to use Extension prescribed texts as part of his Advanced English essay, and the teacher said no)

Unless this rule doesn't apply for Standard, in which case... I best be going :)

MiSSi

are you sure? cos the stimulus booklet my school gives has gwen harwood father & child and my teacher said we can use it. im doing changing self and my prescribed text is away by michael gow. if your confused ring the hsc advice line see what they say.

Natske

Im Studying Cosi too and im in the exact same position... i want to use one of Peter Skryznecki's poems as a related text however other schools are studying it as their prescribed text. Ppl i hav spoken to said not to use other schools texts as your related text but i dunno!! (sorry if im totally not talkin about wat u were!)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MiSSi
are you sure? cos the stimulus booklet my school gives has gwen harwood father & child and my teacher said we can use it. im doing changing self and my prescribed text is away by michael gow.
I don't do Standard so I guess I don't even belong here.

Let's define a few things?

Stimulus Booklet ('Changing')
= Given out by the BOS, contains The Door, Sky High, Sturt's Dreaming and so on, relevant to the AOS (Change).

Prescribed (or set) texts
= List of texts in which you must choose 1 to do (in your case, it would be "Away").

I don't know too much about Changing Self, so I guess I could be completely w wrong, but I know that you can't use TWO prescribed texts (taking the one given to you by your school, as well as using another prescribed text, on the prescribed texts list, as supplementary material).

Originally posted by Natske
Im Studying Cosi too and im in the exact same position... i want to use one of Peter Skryznecki's poems as a related text however other schools are studying it as their prescribed text. Ppl i hav spoken to said not to use other schools texts as your related text but i dunno!! (sorry if im totally not talkin about wat u were!)
You can't use other prescribed texts as your related. The HSC exam markers will think that you're double-dipping (which you are).

If one school does Skrzynecki, you can't use the same text because they are both on the prescribed texts list. (Markers will not know what school you are from, or which texts you have, or have not studied, other than what you have written in your essay/response).

I hope that makes sense :)

Zieb

thanks, that explained it, but i was hoping u could, cause cosi totally sucks.

tink 18

I was told that you could use other prescribed texts as a realated text as long as you point out from the start what your prescribed text is and that the other prescribed text you are using is being used as a related text.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You can use other prescribed texts as your supplementary texts, but it's frowned upon.

The whole reason why you have to write about supplementary texts in the first place is to force you to do some individual research and to broaden your horizons etc.

Zieb

yeh they said same thing laz said, thnks laz, dont think ill do it, prolly not worth it....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)