Can you call people online as your friends? (1 Viewer)

HSC
irl friend = friend
internet friend = internet friend

johony

HSC
maybe, if i knew they weren't a predator of some sort. i've had too many pedos beat off to me on msn. i'd have to see em in rl to count them as a genuine friend.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
maybe, if i knew they weren't a predator of some sort. i've had too many pedos beat off to me on msn. i'd have to see em in rl to count them as a genuine friend.
i'd beat off to you on msn.

and yes i call them friends. but embarassingly, net friends.

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Msn online chatting ( or watever thing) should only be used in complement with real-life social chatting. Nothing beats real-life, otherwise...it's not really a friendship you develop online. Therefore, I wouldn't call someone who'd I just met on a forum as a friend unless I've met them and stuff. Cos I guess with online chatting, it's just 'words' + imagination whereas real-life =...well real life experiences! lol

RuffWoof

HSC
By virtue of having not met them personally, means they cannot be your friend.

period.

conics2008

HSC
sure, the pedo i talk to is my friend also.. we cna all have group sex now..

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
It really depends in my opinion.

Like if you know they exist - because you met them through a friend or for any other reason in REAL LIFE, and you just use the internet as a form of communication - then yes.

If you just add them and talk to them without ever having contact in the real world - then no.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
It really depends in my opinion.

Like if you know they exist - because you met them through a friend or for any other reason in REAL LIFE, and you just use the internet as a form of communication - then yes.

If you just add them and talk to them without ever having contact in the real world - then no.
yea true, i mean u cant just randomly talk to some guy half way across the world and regard him/her as your friend, thats craziness :haha:

lou071

HSC
N/A
Like lets say; I happen to know this guy or girl over the internet, over a forum or social networking site, we know each other for i.e 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 1 year etc. Do you consider calling them as your friend? Or does it feel awkward? Bare in mind that you know them, chat with them, but have never met them yet.

I had this friend who I think she's a bit of a retard, she talks about some of her friends, she sound so into them but I ask her where they're from - she hasn't met them yet but talks to them online. :confused:
call people online as your friend../
it depends on individual. like what people online means to her.
i personally don't call them friends

Furbob

HSC
I've had 3 e-friends that I've known for a good 4 years but one lives only 10 minutes away and it varies

I feel that the one who lives closer/more local to me is more of a friend since we talk about the media and whats going on more often while the others I just talk about latest video games and internet junk like that

It's a bit confusing to telling friends "oh my friend ---" when you actually have never met them :s

I guess my final answer is no

iNerd

Banned
HSC
i personally do NOT
you talk to them online
chat and agree on issues
but you've never seen them
talked with out the barrier of the computer between you guys

and had the chance to reveal your true selved
without enclosing some fake information

Schoolies08

HSC
N/A
heh hard call.
Used to play a online game when i was like 11 to about 15, now almost 19, still talk to 2-3 of those guys and one goes to the same uni as me. Obviously met him etc. Pretty cool guy, so i would say i classify him and a couple others as friends. But yea usually No.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)