capped subjects (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If a not so smart person did Advanced, he probably would of performed bad. And thus would do standard and as a result will be lowering how well the subject scales. So if an advanced student went and did standard, he would probably expect a lower scaled mark due to the fact that the rest of the candidture doesn't perform well.

This is not really too fair because BOS encourages students to do subjects they like and know will perform well so they can score maximum marks. I guess there are a few exceptions. But then again, from past years experience you should be able to judge which you think you will be better at.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You are forgetting that both standard and advanced are scaled in exactly the same way (technically, combined and scaled as a single course).

Hence, a standard student will only have a greater scaled mark than an advanced student if they had a greater raw mark. In 2u english, the raw mark is comprised of 40% from the AOS paper and 60% from the modules paper.

For the purposes of scaling, the distribution of marks on the standard modules paper are shaped to the distribution of marks of those standard students on the common paper. Similarly, the distribution of marks on the advanced modules paper are shaped to the distribution of marks of those advanced students on the common paper.

It is obvious that the advanced candidature is, as a whole, better than the standard candidature - they will therefore perform better on the common paper, and receive better overall raw marks as a result.

Theoretically, the adjustment of the marks on the second paper is merely a 'balancing' procedure much like any scaling is, and so the student would receive the same scaled mark in standard as in advanced. In practise... I'm inclined to think they'd need to work harder in standard to get the high raw mark in the first place.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
I'm inclined to think they'd need to work harder in standard to get the high raw mark in the first place.
Hence being unfair slightly? :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
In theory, if all the Standard students did all year was AOS, then they'd probably outperform their Advance counterparts (or lessen the disparity). But as is the case, that won't happen. So history will continue repeatin' itself. :p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Doing AOS for a whole year..... That would be SO boring! :p

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC

Hence, a standard student will only have a greater scaled mark than an advanced student if they had a greater raw mark. In 2u english, the raw mark is comprised of 40% from the AOS paper and 60% from the modules paper.
What if teachers do a little bit of scaling themselves to bring up the marks of Advanced students because they feel the students deserve more marks for being in Advanced?
Would that make it unfair for Standard students?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I think in school, the Standard and Advanced are considered different because teachers are allowed to make their own trial exam and the AOS section need not necessaily be the same.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by deyveed
What if teachers do a little bit of scaling themselves to bring up the marks of Advanced students because they feel the students deserve more marks for being in Advanced?
The marks sent in don't matter much, as long as the ranks are preserved, which they would be. Otherwise, you'd probably be allowed to sue the school. :D (Because the Standard marks are a composition of AOS and their Modules.)
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Doing AOS for a whole year..... That would be SO boring! :p
Well, it wouldn't be much work, all year. :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Hence being unfair slightly? :p
If it is, it's only due to the Board's syllabi and outcomes, not due to the scaling process. :)

I recall an interesting quotation from the Masters' review:

On the basis of the 2001 results, some submissions concluded that no student could ever achieve Band 6 in Standard English and expressed concern that this had not been made clear to teachers and students. In fact, there is no reason why a Standard English student could not achieve Band 6, although the content of the English syllabuses makes a Band 6 performance much more likely for students in the Advanced course. (p54)

The moderating process would take care of that - the result would be no change.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Hmm.. let me see if i'm reading this correctly. If the marks in the modules paper of standard english are distributed according to the marks in the common paper, there should be no reason why a standard student with Band 6 marks in the common paper and top marks in the modules paper, cannot get a high scaled mark right?
Even if the quality of the candidature of Standard English is relatively low, there shouldn't be much affecting those at the top right?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
That's right. Students who perform extremely well (i.e. clear outliers) would only be marginally affected.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so if you're a strong english student, what's the advantage of doing advanced english over standard?

edit: studnet to student!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You'll enjoy it more and probably do better as a result.

Angelo

is it possible to get 100 UAI if you do a subject that is capped at a value less than 50.0, and it counts (e.g. IPT)?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
i still dont undesrstand how capping works (could you please word it in a way that a lebo could understand it)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The only marks that are capped are scaled marks. These have nothing to do with standards, or bands, or anything related to the Board. They are only used for your UAI, and only the top students are affected.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
The only marks that are capped are scaled marks. These have nothing to do with standards, or bands, or anything related to the Board. They are only used for your UAI, and only the top students are affected.
Is the 'cap' determined by the average quality of the candidature?
Is that why Standard Eng with a relatively lower candidature quality is capped?

stag_j

ok how about this one.
i do 4u math and retail operations. i found out that i got the highest trial result in the state for retail operations, but according to the scaling page on bos this subject will scale down a lot. which would you guess is more likely to count towards my UAI?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
1. Is the 'cap' determined by the average quality of the candidature?
2. Is that why Standard Eng with a relatively lower candidature quality is capped?
1. Yes (and the average variation).
2. No. See my post on the first page. Neither Standard nor Advanced is ever capped.

Originally posted by stag_j
i do 4u math and retail operations. i found out that i got the highest trial result in the state for retail operations, but according to the scaling page on bos this subject will scale down a lot. which would you guess is more likely to count towards my UAI?
I'll assume by 'trial' that you mean 'HSC'... and more information is required. How well did you do in 4u maths?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)