capped subjects (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
however, like any extension course. history extension is a completely different outline to the history courses.

the corresponding thinking of it being an addition of the two history subjects is completely wrong. it is much more challengeing, and for a 1 unit course, it seems more like a 3u course.

though the only exception would be maths where everything must be tested on. whereas, normally in extension subjects, one is only tested with the corresponding work that is set in the extension subject.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Captain pi said:
Perhaps, the candidature in an extension course cannot be considered of a higher quality than the related course; but, I think that students expect the quality of the candidature to be higher in an extension course than a related course, and so can be hardly considered to be 'dumbing down'.
Nevertheless, ultimately it boils down to the fact that since the candidature is of a lesser quality, it's easier for an average student to rank in the 50th percentile. Even though students may not be intentionally 'dumbing down', it's still easier for a capable student to gain a higher rank.

Capping isn't explicitly intended to prevent students from 'dumbing down', but rather to ensure that all students (no matter what subject they're doing) have the same ability to attain a particular scaled mark.

Last edited:

yinks

HSC
um, one of my friends said something about PDHPE being capped, so u can never get 100 scaled mark in it, which makes sense..

but i dont really get the maximum scaled mark thing. So do some subjects that are "easier" have a maximum scaled mark? and how do they figure it out? sorry but all the posts on this subject are getting me mixed up and confused

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i know that cafs, religion I and art have all been capped in the past, not by much only by a maximum of 3 scaled marks, but yes. so if you topped the state in cafs ( in 2005) instead of having 100 marks contributed to your UAI you'd only get around high 80s/low 90s
sucks
but yes
go check out the sam calculator or become premium then it'll ALL make sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)