Career,, HELP ME!!! (1 Viewer)

khosanman

HSC
Hi all,

Well I got a job at goldman sachs, after leaving a crappy auditing job at a crappy accounting firm.

Problem is this job is not all its cracked up to be, its a bit too operational for me. Being an analyst at GS everyone thinks wow, how good, but it aint that good, I feel like id learn so much more in accounting. Been here for 3 months now, and left my last job after 3 months. I can't keep swapping firms.
I'm currently studying my CFA with the exam in december, and thinking about taking up CA next year too.

Thing is I would swap jobs to a good accounting firm, but in about 9 months time I have to go back to europe with my girlfriend, and its not gonna look good on my resume having worked in my next job for so short I'd imagine when trying to score a job in Scandinavia.

So really I just don't know what to do, stick it out at GS, hopefully find a better job within the firm soon after getting my level 1 CFA, or move on??

Or just stay in this job, get my level 1 CFA, and try to get as much of my CA as well while im there. So essentially I would have a year experience in this position, have completed CFA level 1, and then completed 1 or 2 modules of CA and have a year of the CA experience program behind me.

Also I have a years experience of having worked previously in accounting in denmark behind me with a boutique international tax advisory firm.

So what should I do, stick it out at GS in this job, stick it out and hope I get a transfer, or jump ship to PwC or some other big 4 if I can, which probably would only eventuate at the start of next year if i could.

PLEASE HELP ASAP, THANKS guys and girls

khosanman

HSC
well I do.

Its not totally ops. We create reports for clients and calculate there capital gains and toher tax liability info. And provide them with this and potential tax implications etc.

But its mostly operative trying to keep tehre CGT info updated etc.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
to be honest my opinion is that you should stick it out for a few more months at least, i don't think it would look good on your resume if your always bunny hopping after 3 months.. people might think that you either didn't pass probation or that they wouldn't want to hire you because they most likely think you will leave them.

but yeah, if your new job is really bothering you so much that you can't handle it, then fair enough, find somewhere else, thats what i did after 10 months though because i gave them time to fix the problem but in the end they didnt so yeah.

just try to give them a help me help you type.
what you think? not what ur looking for aye haha

khosanman

HSC
well I think sticking it out for a few more months would be pointless. 3 months or 6 months wont look great on the resume either way.

And as for teling them to change things its not going to happen, if its a quite operational role, its not something they are gonna change, thats just what it is.

What im thinking is probably just stick it out, get that years experience having GS on the resume and a bit of CFA and CA behind me, and hopefully that will look good going to europe middle next year. Also I guess its easy to talk crap and talk up what you did.

But still i dunno, some of these big 4 jobs look tempting....

is a roflcopter
HSC
you sounded quite excited when you got the job lol

ops isnt too bad
kinda stress free i would think

Rorix

HSC
Stay at GS and try to move up when you get to Scandinavia. Hopefully operations doesn't translate into Swedish:) and they just see GS Analyst. Switching again really shows you can't cut it anywhere. But lol @ newbies comment about an operations 'analyst'

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Stick it out at GSJBW (its not GS, GS only have a 45% equity stake in it.). Will look better on your resume instead of jumping shop when you dont like it.

At least they wont ask you why you left so quickly - in your next interview.

Last edited:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't like it and you're going to change industries, leave. It's not really firm hopping. It's career changing.

havy

HSC
wat about the big 4 commercial banks ? ie. NAB, CBA etc. Don't they have "front office-ish" departments as well?

havy

HSC
I'm referring to the commercial banks' investment departments...I know they pay less but the hours are more reasonable, its a trade off that some ppl rather prefer.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
havy said:
I'm referring to the commercial banks' investment departments...I know they pay less but the hours are more reasonable, its a trade off that some ppl rather prefer.
Talking to yourself? Im sure they are good. Ask Seraphim, he will know after this summer.

A few are AMP Capital Investors, NABCapital etc. They are on the same tier.

havy

HSC
thx for ur advice, so wat kind of work is seraphim doing?

Last edited:

khosanman

HSC
well i do get quite a bit of direct client contact, and heaps of adviser contact out of the job. And you learn a fair bit of corporate finance out of it.

And its just great reading all the GSJBW research and going to all the meetings and things they have.

I think maybe the best idea is to look around for internal jobs at GSJBW, and move within, as I've got to leave in 9 months for scando anyway.

And with GS analyst type experience, a bit of CFA and a bit of CA done, I shouldnt have a problem getting a job there. especially some accounting type one ig euss.

is a roflcopter
HSC
hehe i have a gsjb insto login
man it lacks
ubs research is a lot better

jpsnail

HSC
How different would you say the work you are doing now in GS from the audit work u were doing previously? Stressful?

I am working in a 2nd tier firm now and starting my CA soon next year. But ultimately would love to be working in an IB. How good are the chances do you think I have?

Sorry to hijack your thread but I didn't wanna open a new one asking similar questions. Thanks for any replies from the OP or any other members.

khosanman

HSC
Well, I just applied for a grad position at KPMG for International Exec Services (tax for expats), to start soon, for the hell of it.

And I got knocked back!!!!

What the hell, granted I filled in the application pretty quickly and it was loaded with mistakes I bet and maybe I filled in a couple of sections pretty brief, but still Im really suprised. Thought Id be a good candidate since i have a years accounting experience in international tax in Denmark, and I have been at goldman sachs for 3 months now.

Or maybe is it because i graduated so long ago in mid 2005.??? What do you people think??

I must be bollocks, I feel like a reeejeeecttt!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)