• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Career,, HELP ME!!! (2 Viewers)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
khosanman said:
Well, I just applied for a grad position at KPMG for International Exec Services (tax for expats), to start soon, for the hell of it.

And I got knocked back!!!!

What the hell, granted I filled in the application pretty quickly and it was loaded with mistakes I bet and maybe I filled in a couple of sections pretty brief, but still Im really suprised. Thought Id be a good candidate since i have a years accounting experience in international tax in Denmark, and I have been at goldman sachs for 3 months now.

Or maybe is it because i graduated so long ago in mid 2005.??? What do you people think??

I must be bollocks, I feel like a reeejeeecttt!!
Aren't grad programs for people with 1 year max experience.

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
Yea UBS writes some okay stuff. I quite like ML reports.
Merrill and Macquarie put out the best research. In my opinion of course.

Anyone ever rung up the analyst that put out the report to have a chat about the stock? They were far nicer than I thought they'd be.

pete_mate

HSC
wait so you applied for the exact same job (tax or whatever) but at an accounting firm.

wtf is wrong with you, just wait a year ffs. All entry-level jobs are fairly shit, you're completely green and you're at the bottom of the ladder, just give it a year or so.

geetarjoe said:
Merrill and Macquarie put out the best research. In my opinion of course.

Anyone ever rung up the analyst that put out the report to have a chat about the stock? They were far nicer than I thought they'd be.
you have their number? how much do you pay for that, aren't there only 4 guys or something per stock, don't they need time to talk to large insitutionals?

Last edited:

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
khosanman said:
Well, I just applied for a grad position at KPMG for International Exec Services (tax for expats), to start soon, for the hell of it.

And I got knocked back!!!!

What the hell, granted I filled in the application pretty quickly and it was loaded with mistakes I bet and maybe I filled in a couple of sections pretty brief, but still Im really suprised. Thought Id be a good candidate since i have a years accounting experience in international tax in Denmark, and I have been at goldman sachs for 3 months now.

Or maybe is it because i graduated so long ago in mid 2005.??? What do you people think??

I must be bollocks, I feel like a reeejeeecttt!!
maybe they rejected you because they know you're going to ditch them too to go to scandinavia.

but seriously, one year wouldn't hurt can it? i wouldn't think another firm would want to hire you knowing that you're going to leave them after 6 months

is a roflcopter
HSC
pete_mate said:
wait so you applied for the exact same job (tax or whatever) but at an accounting firm.

wtf is wrong with you, just wait a year ffs. All entry-level jobs are fairly shit, you're completely green and you're at the bottom of the ladder, just give it a year or so.

truth.

3 months at gs ops doesnt count for very much
and neither does a years tax in denmark
in fact you are at a disadvantage competing for grad jobs against someone fresh out of uni because they would have less explaining to do

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Def stick for at least a year...

I'd say employers these days are getting increasingly worried about the cliched GEN-Y job-hopper.

Your year overseas could easily be justified by a desire to travel, which I'm sure many people could relate to.

khosanman

HSC
Newbie said:
truth.

3 months at gs ops doesnt count for very much
and neither does a years tax in denmark
in fact you are at a disadvantage competing for grad jobs against someone fresh out of uni because they would have less explaining to do
So basically my career is F'ed now?

The good thing about this is when I try to move to a new employer, the job disguises itself well as not being so operational.

All i'm depending on is that my CFA level 1 I get and take with me to go to scandinavia will help me a lot as well.

Im thinking of doing CA as well next year, so I can get there with a module or 2 behind me and a year of the experience ticked off. Or would I be better off not going for the CA and going for level 2 CFA?? Its just that when I get to scando, its a bit harder to get any job because I dont speak scandinavian very well at all, so I figure I can diversify my opportunities if I have a bit of the accounting behind me, plus my danish accounting experience, as well as the banking experience at GS.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i dont think its fucked
you are employed nothing fucked about that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)