Chill out people - the HSC isn't that hard (1 Viewer)

amisha_amisha

I'm a Title now?
HSC
Raven3333 said:
Alright this might sound like a rant but i do have the best intentions at heart. I've spent alot of times reading about how people are stressed out and scared of getting a crappy UAI. Well trust me it's hard to get a crap UAI, I ended up getting 82.5 with little study. The majority of my school assesments where in the 50-70% range. Also people, if you get 1 bad assesment its not the end of the worlf for 2U maths i got 28% and 14% in the half-yearly's and trials, so take it from someone with experience, one or two flunked assesments is not the end of the world. Yr 12 was the best year of my schooling life and I'm sure everyone else will love it so take so advive, don't stress, enjoy yourselves, put in some effort and you will have one of the best years of your life and a decent UAI to kick.
So you failed Math and you got over 80? You must've done extremely well in your other subjects then....
Am I right, or am I right? =)

HSC
You are wrong. You don't have to go "extremely well" to get a 80 UAI...

I can estimate to you the range of raw marks (before they were scaled) for each of my subjects (my average was usually toward the lower to middle end of the scale, although I did go well in a couple of assessments which takes the average up)...I don't think you can call any of these marks "extremely well"....

English: 65-70% (final mark 73/100)
Maths: 65-70% (final mark 84/100)
Maths Ext: 45-55% (final mark 37/50)
Chemistry: 55-65% (final mark 74/100)
Physics: 70-75% (final mark 77/100)
Japanese: 60-65% (final mark 70/100)

UAI: 80.90

I dont want to make people with a lower UAI feel bad about theirs ( i dont mind if im making people with a higher UAI feel better about themselves :p)..and I apologise if it seems as though I'm flaunting my marks or whatnot, because I'm simply not doing that...Someone might say I did high scaling subjects which I agree did help in the end, and someone with lower scaling subjects with my raw marks might be screwed...but the point im trying to make is....

As someone said in this thread or another thread many people think that you have to get 100% in every assessment to get 100 UAI, 90% in everything to get 90 UAI, 80% to get 80 UAI and so on....This is certainly not the case! My estimates are relatively accurate and see the UAI I got...

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
littlewing69 said:
I count 4 unnecessary years of work which may or may not in the end actually pay off as constituting being 'screwed' because you bombed the HSC for whatever reason. I never said any more or any less.
You could get a UAI of 100, do whatever you had dreamed of at Uni, then 10 years later hate your job or whatever you do with your life and be financially locked into it etc. It could take years to finally find something you love doing even though it would have been "10 years of unnecessary work" to get there. A lot of people never find something they love or is right for them, regardless of how well they did in highschool or even at uni. So getting a less than required UAI is not being "screwed" as the UAI and doing the uni degree/s you want do not guarantee success/happiness.

L

littlewing69

timobr0 said:
You could get a UAI of 100, do whatever you had dreamed of at Uni, then 10 years later hate your job or whatever you do with your life and be financially locked into it etc. It could take years to finally find something you love doing even though it would have been "10 years of unnecessary work" to get there. A lot of people never find something they love or is right for them, regardless of how well they did in highschool or even at uni. So getting a less than required UAI is not being "screwed" as the UAI and doing the uni degree/s you want do not guarantee success/happiness.
That's correct, but irrelevant. Anyway, during that hypothetical ten years....you're actually making money, not spending it. And odds are, with a 100 UAI, you're getting paid quite handsomely.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
What does having a 100 UAI have to do with how much you end up being paid? :confused:

L

littlewing69

Sprinkles~ said:
What does having a 100 UAI have to do with how much you end up being paid? :confused:

Opens doors to uni courses which open doors to lucrative careers. Of course, you can go the other way as well and be a reclusive genius type, or too smart for your own good, etc..

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
littlewing69 said:
That's correct, but irrelevant. Anyway, during that hypothetical ten years....you're actually making money, not spending it. And odds are, with a 100 UAI, you're getting paid quite handsomely.
Odds are, more people with uai <100 make more money than people with 100 uai :)

But why do you keep coming back to the issue of money. If life for you is all about how much money you make and if spending a few extra years to get to that position is such a negative thing, then why go to uni at all? You don't need a degree to earn a living. There are other-and more profitable-ways apart from wage/salary to earn $$$.

L

littlewing69

timobr0 said:
Odds are, more people with uai <100 make more money than people with 100 uai :)
Yeah that was a fairly spur-of-the-moment comment, admittedly, and you're right. Still, my point was that I don't think 10 years spent being awesomely successful in one field, only to at the end of that change career paths is a 'waste'. Most of us will change careers at some point in the future, many of us multiple times.

But why do you keep coming back to the issue of money. If life for you is all about how much money you make and if spending a few extra years to get to that position is such a negative thing, then why go to uni at all? You don't need a degree to earn a living. There are other-and more profitable-ways apart from wage/salary to earn $$$.
Of course. I'm not money-obsessed...but then again I'm an upper middle-class suburban WASP kid, so that's hardly very noble of me. Money is a large determining factor in what jobs people pursue.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
I didn't mean the 10 years actually is a waste, I was just comparing it to the 4 year @ uni thing. Hence the " ". In my opinion, neither are really a waste if it gets you where you want to be.

Yes ofcourse money is a big factor when choosing careers. My point was that your UAI won't stop you from getting into a career that pays well.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
littlewing69 said:
Opens doors to uni courses which open doors to lucrative careers. Of course, you can go the other way as well and be a reclusive genius type, or too smart for your own good, etc..
Or maybe they worked their ass off in the HSC to the point that they've had enough and choose live their life as a lazy dole bludger :p

L

littlewing69

timobr0 said:
I didn't mean the 10 years actually is a waste, I was just comparing it to the 4 year @ uni thing. Hence the " ". In my opinion, neither are really a waste if it gets you where you want to be.
Fair enough. If you are hellbent on some certain career it could be a massive inconvenience and is an added debt...but yeah...personally I'd rather chill in uni for as long as possible than hit the office :)

Yes ofcourse money is a big factor when choosing careers. My point was that your UAI won't stop you from getting into a career that pays well.
Definitely not. Some of the world's most successful people never finished high school, let alone uni. They are the exception to the rule, though, I think...

L

littlewing69

Sprinkles~ said:
Or maybe they worked their ass off in the HSC to the point that they've had enough and choose live their life as a lazy dole bludger :p
Very possible ;)

HSC
in terms of the content, the hsc isn't hard, the hard part comes in beating thousands of other students across the entire state to get the course u want, this is the hard part

however, in saying that this is hard, it is not impossible, y?
cos someone has to be at the top cos someone will always come first

in regards to the hsc as the 'be all end all', i do not receive this with very much interest, there are many other options in life, and the trick is not to find an occupation that produces the dough, but finding one that u enjoy

life isn't a story about going to skool, getting a good UAI and getting a job that gives u heaps of money, if u find happiness in money, i feel very sorry for u, cos ur values are severely misplaced

life is about finding contentment, e.g: finding a job that u enjoy, a job that when u wake up, ur not saying to urself "omg, have to go to the office...again" or sumfing like that

if a job which u enter in the future does require a high UAI, then so be it, strive for this goal and u can reach it (can does not equal will though, the two words are very different)

other pathways other than the hsc are possible to follow, but the road will be a bit rockier

in regards to people thinking that "u can achieve anything" is a load of garbage, perhaps u r not trying hard enuf. having said that though, one must know there limits cos there is no use in striving for sumfing that isn't there

the hsc isn't hard, but its not easy either, its effort, and that is what life is, effort. in the end, the students who work the hardest will get the best marks, there's no 2 ways about it

so good luck to all those doing hsc 2007, don't stress, have confidence in ur abilities to peform

circusmind

HSC
the pospinator said:
in terms of the content, the hsc isn't hard, the hard part comes in beating thousands of other students across the entire state to get the course u want, this is the hard part
I found some of the content quite difficult, particularly in Chem and Ext. Eng I.

in the end, the students who work the hardest will get the best marks, there's no 2 ways about it
Some people slave away and don't crack the 90s and others cruise through the year into high 90s.

cl3nta

HSC
Circusmind, the hsc is not only about working hard but working smart..

HSC
circusmind said:
Some people slave away and don't crack the 90s and others cruise through the year into high 90s.
i never said that a good mark was 90+, a good mark is one that u have worked hard for and that u feel is a reflection of the effort u've put in

for instance, if ur a person that struggles, what may seem a low mark to someone may be a good mark for u, and as long as u are content in that u've done ur best, u will be happy with the fact that u have rightfully earned the mark u have achieved

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
the pospinator said:
life isn't a story about going to skool, getting a good UAI and getting a job that gives u heaps of money, if u find happiness in money, i feel very sorry for u, cos ur values are severely misplaced

life is about finding contentment, e.g: finding a job that u enjoy, a job that when u wake up, ur not saying to urself "omg, have to go to the office...again" or sumfing like that
Agreed x 1000000000000. :) :)

Family, friends, experience, health, happiness, spending your time doing things that you enjoy, are just some of the things that are more important than getting a brilliant hsc, or a high paying job. Not that you don't need money of course, but i guess life would suck if you spent it working your ass off in a job that you hate just for the money or high status. You need to be able to live to.

circusmind

HSC
cl3nta said:
Circusmind, the hsc is not only about working hard but working smart..
Aren't you a 2007er???

(cram.)

Last edited:

circusmind

HSC
the pospinator said:
i never said that a good mark was 90+, a good mark is one that u have worked hard for and that u feel is a reflection of the effort u've put in

for instance, if ur a person that struggles, what may seem a low mark to someone may be a good mark for u, and as long as u are content in that u've done ur best, u will be happy with the fact that u have rightfully earned the mark u have achieved
Oh yeah..for sure. But still, people do honestly try their hardest and still come away disappointed. It's tough when there's such an overt ranking of you amongst your peers--people are going to get hurt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)