choosing subjects for Year 11 (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
dux&src said:
i have been Dux every year in high school though i think i can handle it. Besides i calculated it to be 14 times 60 hours giving a total of 840 hours.

out of 40 weeks minus public holidays and pupil free days
equals 38 weeks around and 23 periods each week of an hour means that i will have 874 hours to fit 840 hours worth of work.

assuming that the teacher isnt away or me then i would get through the syllabus.
OMG
lol no free periods
but more then likely i will have no free periods at all to study. o well i will try it though.
i can handle it.
I really doubt you can do all your units at school even though you can handle 14 units. You probably have to do some outside tutoring.

michael1990

HSC
dux&src said:
i have been Dux every year in high school though i think i can handle it. Besides i calculated it to be 14 times 60 hours giving a total of 840 hours.

equals 38 weeks around and 23 periods each week of an hour means that i will have 874 hours to fit 840 hours worth of work.

assuming that the teacher isnt away or me then i would get through the syllabus.
OMG
lol no free periods
but more then likely i will have no free periods at all to study. o well i will try it though.
i can handle it.
Being DUX in those years does not give an indication of how well or how bad you will go in the HSC.

You need to only do a limit.
Relax and take it as it comes.
Do year 10 first.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
kaz1 said:
I really doubt you can do all your units at school even though you can handle 14 units. You probably have to do some outside tutoring.
now that i think about it i think maybe i should stick to 13 units. i should ace those 13 units rather than trying out 14 units. oh well now i have to think again. thanks though for your comment and more comments please.

i am not sure now.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
dux&src said:
now that i think about it i think maybe i should stick to 13 units. i should ace those 13 units rather than trying out 14 units. oh well now i have to think again. thanks though for your comment and more comments please.

i am not sure now.
how lucky. You're allowed to do 13 units. too bad my stupid school only allows a maximum of 12. god. the schools is so fucking shit. they are so retarded!!! :pain:

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
nerdsforever said:
how lucky. You're allowed to do 13 units. too bad my stupid school only allows a maximum of 12. god. the schools is so fucking shit. they are so retarded!!! :pain:
Maybe Im stupid or not picking up the obvious... but say you only wanted to do one extension either maths or english... it would leave you with an odd number of units assuming you needed 12 for year 11?
How would it work?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
agirlinatutu said:
Maybe Im stupid or not picking up the obvious... but say you only wanted to do one extension either maths or english... it would leave you with an odd number of units assuming you needed 12 for year 11?
How would it work?
No. You can either do 12 Units or 13 Units. It only becomes a problem if you have 14 Units or more.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
lyounamu said:
No. You can either do 12 Units or 13 Units. It only becomes a problem if you have 14 Units or more.
Thats what I thought but there are people on here... NerdsForever I think that said they can have a max of 12units

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
agirlinatutu said:
Thats what I thought but there are people on here... NerdsForever I think that said they can have a max of 12units
Okay. Some schools recommend students to do that. I think she misinterpreted what they said. Maximum is 13 Units and the minimum is 12 Units for my school. Different schools might have different policy. But I swear that the minimum amount of Units is 12 Units for all schools in Year 11.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I know some school's have timetabling problems and can only allow you to do 12 units. Like if you do extension maths, they'll force you to do either Ext english or Religion or something.

At my school, our timetable allows us to do 14 units - so it really depends on the school. I'd reccommend doing 12-13 units. Why do more than you have to?

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
the-derivative said:
I know some school's have timetabling problems and can only allow you to do 12 units. Like if you do extension maths, they'll force you to do either Ext english or Religion or something.

At my school, our timetable allows us to do 14 units - so it really depends on the school. I'd reccommend doing 12-13 units. Why do more than you have to?
Hmm yeah thats what I was thinking but I wasnt sure. My school (and the one im hopefully transferring to) has a max of like 13 or 14 not sure. I wouldnt do anymore than 13 units. Esp when only 10 count

Thanks Namu

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
dux&src said:

OMG
lol no free periods
i can handle it.
I love it how you try and use a mathamatical formula to work out if you will have enough time. Those hours of study are just guides, and schools do not stick by them. Plus if you want to maintain your dux position (which I assume you would seeing as you cant help but flaunt it), you are going to have to put in more time for each subject, especially in year 12 (and especially if you want to do 4 unit maths)!

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
hello.
i'm thinking of doing
english advanced
mathematics
biology
geography
business studies
economics.

are these good choices? i'm aware that i want to do three social sciences subjects which could really narrow things when it comes to future careers/uni and all that in the future.
any advice would help :)

bawd

HSC
nhoustonrocks said:
hello.
i'm thinking of doing
english advanced
mathematics
biology
geography
business studies
economics.

are these good choices? i'm aware that i want to do three social sciences subjects which could really narrow things when it comes to future careers/uni and all that in the future.
any advice would help :)
Doesn't really narrow your choices, just opens it to other possibilities. I am doing two social science subjects, but I actually wanted to do three (our school does not offer Legal Studies :mad1:), yet I do not feel my career/Uni path has been impeded by these choices because what's most important is that I chose subjects I am good at. If you are good at these subjects and know you will enjoy them, then just do it. If your time table allows for it, do 14 units, so you can experience a wider range of subjects and then drop any which you do not like.

Pay your Careers Adviser a visit and grab a few University Undergraduate Guides and just finger through them to get an idea of what is expected. I know some Uni's such as USyd have no prerequisites (just assumed knowledge) so you will not be kicked out of the course if they find out ZOMG you haven't done 4 Unit Maths! (which they won't) You can always do bridging courses. (but why do that when you can learn it for free)

PS. On a more subjective note, Economics FTW. :)

Last edited:

Aznmichael92

HSC
some schools due to short any numbers of people in subjects, if you do a certain subject, you have to give up another.

For e.g. at my friends school the one who did bad in english standard, for choosing chemistry, she was not allowed to do biology. For doing physics she couldnt do business studies. Her choices were very limited.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
some schools due to short any numbers of people in subjects, if you do a certain subject, you have to give up another.

For e.g. at my friends school the one who did bad in english standard, for choosing chemistry, she was not allowed to do biology. For doing physics she couldnt do business studies. Her choices were very limited.
Same here. I could not have been able to choose SOR II or Engineering Studies. I don't regret my current subject choice but I wouldn't have minded doing those subjects.

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
Same here. I could not have been able to choose SOR II or Engineering Studies. I don't regret my current subject choice but I wouldn't have minded doing those subjects.
which subject did u choose to make you give up SOR II and engineering studies?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
which subject did u choose to make you give up SOR II and engineering studies?
Well, I initially chose SOR II, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics Extension 1 (already up there due to my acceleration), Mathematics (same), and English (Advanced). And I was considering picking up English Extension 1 but I already had 13 Units. So I basically could not choose English Extension 1. I could not choose Engineering Studies either because I didn't have enough units and the timetable issue occured.

However, right before the end of the Term 4, I decided to change Economics to Business Studies. Fortunately for me, I didn't meet any timetable issue there. Then during holidays, I was making a head start to both Physics and Chemistry. Then, I realised that Physics was not my subject. I was not interested in that boring subject. So I called school (no one answered) that I want to change Physics to Biology. Then they did after I came back to my school. Now, I regret doing Chemistry (only subject that I didn't change). Oh yeah, here is the truth: I basically changed all my subjects that I initially chose as my HSC subjects. (Economics to Business Studies, Physics to Biology). When I came back to school this year, I realised that I could not do SOR II either due to shortage of students. I tried to change Chemistry to Engineering Studies but now, I cannot. It's just too late... :mad:

It tells you what crap subject selection preparation can lead to (having to do all the callings to change all the subjects).

So, I ask you to choose carefully. You will, at one point, regret your subject choice. Please choose really carefully that you will never regret like I used to.

bored of sc

HSC
Your subject choices, in a ideal world, should be based on interest, ability and preparation for future study/career(s) --> never base it off (although it may help) the teachers you will get, what other people have told you or what your parents want you to do.

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
When I came back to school this year, I realised that I could not do SOR II either due to shortage of students. I tried to change Chemistry to Engineering Studies but now, I cannot. It's just too late... :mad:

My school is kinda funny, even there is short number of kids doing a certain subject, we still have it. Like german extension only 4 kids :D

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Aznmichael92 said:
My school is kinda funny, even there is short number of kids doing a certain subject, we still have it. Like german extension only 4 kids :D
same with my school, only 2 people do latin continuers (or something extravagant like that).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)