clubs and societies (1 Viewer)

dora

Originally posted by kini mini
I think you should all try something completely different and join the USyd fencing club, take a few lessons and realise the immense pleasure to be had from hitting someone else with a sword :D.

wow, i did not know there's a fencing club, just how do u join ? i did not find that club during o-week!

have u joined already kini? can i join now? is it too late? and what are the fees and charges?:eek: :D :D

Pretz

They always use the chocolate club as an example of "diversity", but it wasn't listed on the site.
I missed that earlier. So usyd had a chocolate club? How delicious. What happened to it?

Thanks for the help btw Fi.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Theres a "clubs and societies" office at the top of manning (i think...?)

I looked for the chocolate club, but didn't find it. The fencing one was amidst all the sports stalls. Kini won't be joining it as he goes to unsw. Go to HK ward gym and try to sign up for fencing there. Or phone the sports union. The union was also giving out little beige books with the names of all the societies/clubs in them if u want something to refer to.

Clubs/societies are usually in need of funds/members...don't stress, i'm pretty sure you can join anytime. :)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by dora

wow, i did not know there's a fencing club, just how do u join ? i did not find that club during o-week!

have u joined already kini? can i join now? is it too late? and what are the fees and charges?:eek: :D :D
I haven't joined yet, as timmii said I'm at UNSW. I am planning on joining when I get my ps so I can "borrow" the equipment :p

You can find the club page here http://www.suwsa.usyd.edu.au/sports/clubs/Fencing/sufc.htm, I suggest you sign up for the beginners' classes :).

You can join any time you want, just talk to Brendan or Harriet or Mario or any of the senior members (fencing's a small world :p).

timmii

sporadic attendee
wow kini...u go to unsw, r also a member of uts, and a prospective member of usyd...? How much equipment do you need??? :confused: or are you merely the epee-wielding equivalent of those doctor-shoppers hoping to hoard prescription meds? :p

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
wow kini...u go to unsw, r also a member of uts, and a prospective member of usyd...? How much equipment do you need??? :confused: or are you merely the epee-wielding equivalent of those doctor-shoppers hoping to hoard prescription meds? :p
LOL no - fencing equipment tends to break easily, so it's always nice to know some places where you can borrow gear until you have the time and/or materials to fix your own. This joining busisness is getting expensive though, $140 so far for UNSW & UTS...maybe I'll just get my USyd buddies to borrow gear for me :p.

But I am trying with a few friends to borrow enough electric sabres and epees from around the place so we can rendezvous at one of the clubs and have a crazy beginners' session , we being but deprived foilists :p.

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by dora

2 of my friends joined the fencing club last week so i guess Usyd is now going to a lot of broken foil blades. Oh btw kini u would be impressed by the bruise on my right arm (thank goodness for FIE fencing gear or i wouldn't be able to hold a foil again) Oh yeah and for me joining the fencing club is on $10!!

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Which reminds me i broke my foil blade on the weekend:( luckily it was only a dry foil not an electric

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Out of interest who actually did join the fencing club??

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by lappang

2 of my friends joined the fencing club last week so i guess Usyd is now going to a lot of broken foil blades. Oh btw kini u would be impressed by the bruise on my right arm (thank goodness for FIE fencing gear or i wouldn't be able to hold a foil again) Oh yeah and for me joining the fencing club is on $10!!
I wear my FIE gear all the time, including the underplastron. You can never be too careful.

$10 for you eh...well your sports union fees are much higher than mine :).

Since I have my own gear, UNSW is pleased to offer me a $7 discount :p.

Which reminds me i broke my foil blade on the weekend :( luckily it was only a dry foil not an electric
Look on the bright side, it's much cheaper to replace :). If you bother replacing it - I wouldn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)