Coldplay?

• Total voters

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
DigitalFortress said:
coldplay whiny little sluts,
oh wait i guess that sums up British rock :eek:
And that is a completely stupid statement.

wanton-wonton

HSC
mr_brightside said:
why do most albums come out at number 1?

if it were based on sales then the would start at the bottom and work their way up...

i believe the charts are purely commerical based....
Seems like you're an idiot too. You can't buy your way up the charts!

Counterfeit

HSC
Hmm coldplay, theyre nice. But not that special. I like them, i even stayed up till 2am once (v.late for me) to watch a coldplay concert. I wouldnt pay money for one of their CD's though, i burned rush of...head from a mate, and i hardly listen to it. Theyre just not that special. Theyre not really original, they dont really set a mood in their music, they dont really have an image, musically they dont really excell in any way.

But they are some nice easy listening.

heybraham

HSC
wanton-wonton said:
Seems like you're an idiot too. You can't buy your way up the charts!
yes u can. surprised to hear the the charts are based on how many cds the stores (eg. sanity, hmv, virgin music, kmart, big w etc.) buy from the record companies NOT how many people buy directly from the shops? i know i was, i always expected the shops to be able provide the appropriate statistics to ARIA or something and how artists always thank the 'fans' for good cd sales

therefore obviously, you CAN buy your way into charts (think the image of artist...eg. Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan etc.).

charts are only an indication of the expectations of the record industry and the strings they can pull. and people who think they are based on general consensus are COMPLETE FOOLS. (i don't blame them though)

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Umm....how the hell do you figure this? They come out at number one because people buy the album the first week it comes out.
i used to wory at Sanity and we would get the printed charts everyweek and it sometimes featured a unrealesed number one

and thanks for the backup heybraham

FIGHT THE POWER...IS NUMBER 1 REALLY NUMBER 1?!?!?!

edit: and yes they are also based on the amount of cds shipped to a store...

how do u think darren hayes ever got in the charts????

lol we had about 30 copies of his single and the kept bringing them in...

aaaman

Banned
HSC
any who sez coldplay suck should get aids and DIE......yes that was cruel but my care factor is 0, seriously its 0

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
heybraham said:
surprised to hear the the charts are based on how many cds the stores (eg. sanity, hmv, virgin music, kmart, big w etc.) buy from the record companies NOT how many people buy directly from the shops?
Woah, I seriously didn't know that. Pfft, and with only a little extra effort we could have the real chart.

wanton-wonton

HSC
heybraham said:
yes u can. surprised to hear the the charts are based on how many cds the stores (eg. sanity, hmv, virgin music, kmart, big w etc.) buy from the record companies NOT how many people buy directly from the shops?
Yes, that's quite obvious, but think about it. Why would retailers buy records if they can't sell them? They'd want to make a profit. Retailers don't buy CD because some artists are cool or they want certain artists to top the charts, they don't give a shit about that. As I said, retailers buy CD because they sell.

So obviously the chart-toppers are successful, right? Not because, as some guy said, the record labels BOUGHT their way up the charts, that's not true.

heybraham

HSC
no probs for the backup :D

oh yes...coldplay.

they improved dramatically from the last album i reckon, more consistent. X and Y is more raw yet more polished certain aspects (credit to the producer; probably a better one this time coz their last album was quite successful).

however? i'd have to say it was below expectations, if only marginally. the new album loses its steam pretty quickly from the 2nd half after Speed of Sound.

i began to like their mellow rock again after X&Y but man was their live8 performance complete shit. richard ashcroft was let down on what promised to be a greatest live performance of the greatest song ever...up yours coldplay.

mr_brightside

HSC
wanton-wonton said:
Yes, that's quite obvious, but think about it. Why would retailers buy records if they can't sell them? They'd want to make a profit.
yeah but sometimes...what they expect doesnt happen..

like i said...they expected darren hayes to sell....rofl...

heybraham

HSC
wanton-wonton said:
Yes, that's quite obvious, but think about it. Why would retailers buy records if they can't sell them? They'd want to make a profit. Retailers don't buy CD because some artists are cool or they want certain artists to top the charts, they don't give a shit about that. As I said, retailers buy CD because they sell.

So obviously the chart-toppers are successful, right? Not because, as some guy said, the record labels BOUGHT their way up the charts, that's not true.
well think about it. this is what happened to bardot, they sang some prewritten songs and those songs got put on a cd. that album sold SHITLOADS due to tv publicity, but did bardot get much money?

nah
they only got paid the performance rights, which equates to jackshit, its akin to being a background dancer in a music video clip [some bardot member said she got paid as much much as a checkout chick at woolies]. so what happens? the record companies get a higher % of the record profits.

now why would they push some anonymous guy's cd with really good music the artist wrote themselves when they could just sell a pop act with massive publicity and only a performance right?

if i was a record company executive i know which one I'D choose. the chart is just an ingenius marketing tool

Last edited:

mr_brightside

HSC
heybraham said:
well think about it. this is what happened to bardot, they sang some prewritten songs and those songs got put on a cd. that album sold SHITLOADS due to tv publicity, but did bardot get much money?

nah
they only got paid the performance rights, which equates to jackshit, its akin to being a background dancer in a music video clip [some bardot member said she got paid as much much as a checkout chick at woolies]. so what happens? the record companies get a higher % of the record profits.

now why would they push some anonymous guy's cd with really good music the artist wrote themselves when they could just sell a pop act with massive publicity and only a performance right?

if i was a record company executive i know which one I'D choose. the chart is just an ingenius marketing tool

someones been watching john safran's music jamboree :)

heybraham

HSC
artheterosexual said:
this is what i think of coldplay

thanks i think you have helped me understand why they are called COLDPLAY. it probably is supposed to leave you cold and shit when it gets played.

HSC
nekkid said:
where's the neutral option?
there isnt one...like i said, love it or shove it...if you sit on the fence you're bound to get splinters in your ass...im saving you from yourself (and the fence)...

thank me later...

HSC
aaaman said:
any who sez coldplay suck should get aids and DIE......yes that was cruel but my care factor is 0, seriously its 0

i guess thats why you have no rep after about 200+ posts...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)