Comparison of Maths Ext 2 books (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
my maths teacher wrote the 4 unit cambridge book i saw her name on it

IMTB

HSC
lol
according to my tutor terry lee is really good for challenging quesitons and later in the year when u r more ready
fitz is good for additional qusetions
but cambridge is the main one that goes from basic to challenging...and heaps of selectives use it as main textbook

gm.haider3000

HSC
Hi i do 4unit with cambridge but cant seem to find any diffculties with it .. can every 1 tell me how many people are in your class mine there is only 2 and possibly 3 ... and your subjects please thanks you

4unit maths 2unit english 2unit eco 2unit business studies

frostysnow

HSC
My school uses:
Fitzpatrick - but the teacher recommends that you MUST do more than this
Cambridge - i think some questions are hard but going through the numerous examples really help
Patel - i think this is supposed to be the hardest, but i think some of the stuff is beyond requirement

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Mine uses S.Patel: I have a different view here 'cuz it's probably the better one compared to Cambridge in terms of a wide range of samples, ways of explaining problems and the the number of exercises.

Cambridge still appeals to me more tho. Don't know why, maybe because it looks better, sounds cooler? Anyway, it requires more thinkings when looking at its examples so it's a good thing tho. The types of questions are also cool, hard but not boring. I like it.

Does anyone has the '50 tips...'? It is said a lot of questions in this year paper are quite identical to those in that book! Wow. I'm hunting it now, really.

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
well coroneos is good but i think u need to use it with patel (not excel!)... im wokring wid dem and finding it much easier before... btw dont work through every bloody question itll kill u..

badquinton304

HSC
Ive got Cambridge and Coroneos. I learn from both and do the excercises from both. However I do plan on buying the fitzpatrick, terry lee book and the 4u mini hscs book too, for harder questions and hsc questions.

kony

HSC
cambridge books no longer reflect the style of exam questions.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
kony said:
cambridge books no longer reflect the style of exam questions.
What do you mean? As in they're inappropriate and unrealistic compared to the HSC exam questions?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
denise arnold isn't neville weber. nor is graham arnold.

on the other hand, neville weber isn't rod yager.

hsc exams are inappropriate because the lc was better.

not only was the lc better than the hsc, it was also better than the entrance exams prior to the lc.

the sydney university senate tried to overrule professor carslaw, and temporarily succeeded, but ultimately failed because the old entrance exams were eventually replaced by the lc.

and carslaw would be turning in his grave if he saw one of neville weber's exams.

tg room's maths department at sydney uni being split up by keith bullen is inappropriate and the langland's program is trying to unify mathematics, not split it up

a statistician as chief examiner for hsc maths is inappropriate, because margaret bigelow and her cronies reckon stats isn't maths.

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
but allow me to contradict myself

it is entirely appropriate that we all do neville weber's exams because it PROVES stats isn't maths.

yes. that's right. it PROVES a statistician can't write a maths exam.

and it PROVES keith bullen had a very good reason to split tg room's maths department up.

oh. and carslaw would be laughing.

Last edited:

d1arrh0eaz

HSC
Kujah said:
What do you mean? As in they're inappropriate and unrealistic compared to the HSC exam questions?
like, conics, we arent required to do locus on anything but rectangular hyperbola, but terry lee + patel both have questions on them. its great practice, but not required. other stuff im not too sure abt (cambridge i cant quite remember)

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
terry lee compleletely kills my brain and i DONT feel good after doing it, although it has full solutions and all =/..still sometimes his methods take too long when theres quicker alternatives

cambridge all the way =D so wat IS the best txtbook thatl reflect exam type questions?

i admit the hsc ques are harder than txtbook questions

jcurry

HSC
I have only just started doing 4unit this term as my school was screwing me around since i was the only one wanting to do it, so i need to use several textbooks.
ATM my favourite would is Cambridge as it asks the hard questions plus the author teaches at my school
I also have the copy of Patels book and find that the solutions he/she gives are not very good and tend to skip some worked answers
I also have a copy of an Excel book but i dont know if this is considered a "textbook" as such but find that this book is helpful

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
jcurry said:
I have only just started doing 4unit this term as my school was screwing me around since i was the only one wanting to do it, so i need to use several textbooks.
ATM my favourite would is Cambridge as it asks the hard questions plus the author teaches at my school
I also have the copy of Patels book and find that the solutions he/she gives are not very good and tend to skip some worked answers
I also have a copy of an Excel book but i dont know if this is considered a "textbook" as such but find that this book is helpful
wow ur lucky wat skoo is it btw? i dont like excel 4unit >=[

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
We're using Cambridge and were also told to get Fitzpatrick from the library. However, we never use Fitzpatrick.

Cambridge, as someone has said, skips steps when they provide examples, leaving you wondering how they got there when you're stuck halfway between steps! But the questions are good, of varying difficulty and fairly fulfilling. =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)