Concert Review Thread (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Re: Official Concert Review Thread

Bob Dylan - mixed reactions really, the songs he did off Modern Times were pretty great and have convinced me it's a pretty solid album. I was surprised that I managed to identify more than half the stuff he played, seeing as I only really have an interest in his mid sixties stuff, as well as Blood on the Tracks and Modern times. His voice was gruff and hardly discernable at times, but old age, can't really be helped I guess.

The Frames were enjoyable, pleasant and all. Like, Coldplay-pleasant, though a lot more fun. Lead singer wasn't a twat, either.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC

runtlocks said:
Bob Dylan - mixed reactions really, the songs he did off Modern Times were pretty great and have convinced me it's a pretty solid album. I was surprised that I managed to identify more than half the stuff he played, seeing as I only really have an interest in his mid sixties stuff, as well as Blood on the Tracks and Modern times. His voice was gruff and hardly discernable at times, but old age, can't really be helped I guess.

The Frames were enjoyable, pleasant and all. Like, Coldplay-pleasant, though a lot more fun. Lead singer wasn't a twat, either.
ahhh, I went to Bob Dylan's concert too..

Thought he had a few good songs, the stand outs were his last few songs, especially "all along the watchtower".. but the concert wasn't all that great, his voice was hard to understand, pretty much impossible at times. The instruments sounded awesome though so overall it was an okay concert.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC

YBK said:
ahhh, I went to Bob Dylan's concert too..

Thought he had a few good songs, the stand outs were his last few songs, especially "all along the watchtower".. but the concert wasn't all that great, his voice was hard to understand, pretty much impossible at times. The instruments sounded awesome though so overall it was an okay concert.
Yeahh well looking back it was probably the worst concert I've been to...

Mono was great, so great. end thread

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC

runtlocks said:
Mono was great, so great. end thread
Aww, but I was gonna gush about them too :p

I was sitting pretty much on the ground so all I had was flashing lights (occasionally the band) and fucking mega floor vibrations. The drummer was especially great.

Also I was really surprised by how good World's End Girlfriend was, especially the first song (which was like half the set anyway - the one with the repeating piano line). So many crazy sounds and white noise washes, but it all strangely came together in the end.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC

s-p-a-c-e-d said:
Aww, but I was gonna gush about them too :p

I was sitting pretty much on the ground so all I had was flashing lights (occasionally the band) and fucking mega floor vibrations. The drummer was especially great.

Also I was really surprised by how good World's End Girlfriend was, especially the first song (which was like half the set anyway - the one with the repeating piano line). So many crazy sounds and white noise washes, but it all strangely came together in the end.
Only watched Mono, dunno what I was thinking :lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Kicking myself now.

Found out that Mono started at 10:45, went for a little walkabout - somewhere - and when I came back they were playing.

Crowd were great, too

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC

runtlocks said:
Only watched Mono, dunno what I was thinking :lol::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Kicking myself now.

Found out that Mono started at 10:45, went for a little walkabout - somewhere - and when I came back they were playing.

Crowd were great, too
Fool! WEG was definitely a highlight of the show for me

But you're right, the place had a great atmosphere. Also, how funny was that drunk guy? (I mean the one shouting at really inappropriate times)

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC

Mono, WEG AND Castings were so tops .. Castings had a wolf eyes vibe about them which I really dug, had no idea WEG was just one guy till that night.

Yeah overall a great gig

icecreamdisco

HSC

castings and WEG were great, but mono... i dunno, i guess i'm just not into that epic crescendo thing anymore, so i was pretty bored. that, and i had an incredible sore neck that made it hard to stand for so long, so i eventually sat down and drifted off for a while. i dug the first song, though. and w00t for the djs for playing shellac and arvo pärt between sets.

ran into biomic, should've got in touch with runtlocks and s-p-a-c-e-d now that i found out they attended.

icecreamdisco

HSC

thecurtainfalls said:
you ran into me too, mr icecreamdisco.
DUH.
lol, i always run into you. and you barely post here anymore, you non-BOSer ghost, you.

sorry for the no-mention. :eek:

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC

its a well known fact thecurtainfalls fails at the internet so its all good

HSC

icecreamdisco said:
lol, i always run into you. and you barely post here anymore, you non-BOSer ghost, you.

sorry for the no-mention. :eek:
haha, by "always" you mean thursday night at mono, at envy in july, and barace on sunn)))day. a grand total of THREE times.

i felt the need to move on in the internet world, to messandnoise.com which very much failed after a few weeks, back here i am...

HSC

biomic said:
its a well known fact thecurtainfalls fails at the internet so its all good
NO, YOU FAIL AT INTERWEBZ, NOT TO MENTION OUTDRINKING ME.

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC

Battles was awesome the other night, shame they didnt play Rainbow but I was stoked the vocal effects came out as well as they did .. Race: In and Leyendecker standing out .. first time hearing My Disco aswell, great warm up for Battles, guitarist was a nut - loved that fingerpicking he did

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC

biomic said:
Battles was awesome the other night, shame they didnt play Rainbow but I was stoked the vocal effects came out as well as they did .. Race: In and Leyendecker standing out .. first time hearing My Disco aswell, great warm up for Battles, guitarist was a nut - loved that fingerpicking he did

sooo fucking jealous...

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC

s-p-a-c-e-d said:
sooo fucking jealous...
was an ace gig dude, how come you couldn't make it?!

killyridols

HSC

i was at battles too.
tyondai or whatever the hell his name is seemed like a tool. that + bad sound (and this skanky blonde bitch-slut who tried to push in front of me who looked like she belonged in club 77) made it suck a bit. but a few nice people let me and my bf in front of them for being 'tiny people' which was super polite (but probably because we both look 15).

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC

killyridols said:
i was at battles too.
tyondai or whatever the hell his name is seemed like a tool. that + bad sound (and this skanky blonde bitch-slut who tried to push in front of me who looked like she belonged in club 77) made it suck a bit. but a few nice people let me and my bf in front of them for being 'tiny people' which was super polite (but probably because we both look 15).
You see that blonde chick right at the front who wouldnt stop moshing around by herself, running into people, swinging her arms around and stuff? No matter how many times you pushed her off when her hair smacked into your face she wouldnt get the hint .. clearly completely out of it .. that was kind of fail.

Tyondai I didn't mind all that much, he at least tried to engage here and there

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC

Nick Cave & Grinderman - Enmore Theatre 20th October

Was the experience really as good as you expected?

It was better. I was expecting Grinderman to play as the main act because that was how it was advertised, but the band played grinderman tracks first (with the exception of go tell the women that we're leaving) then had a short break with some stage changes before returning to play nick cave solo tracks. It was a smooth transition, given that the grinderman outfit features the same band members of the bad seeds, and they worked well with nick cave throughout the entire set.

What was the playlist like?

Surprising. A friend of mine labelled it a 'best of nick cave' show because he played a selection of most popular tracks. we got the weeping song, the ship song, mercy seat, deanna, red right hand, people aint no good, into my arms, babe you turn me on, lyre of orpheus, tupelo, love letter, god is in the house.

I wouldv'e liked to hear more murder ballads, but apart from that the track listing made for a fun gig with plenty of crowd interaction.

The crowd demeanor?

There was the usual dickheads pushing to the front, though not as many as there could have been (perhaps i didnt notice because i was in the second row) but overall the crowd were chilled out and seemed to be having a good time. this was brought out in songs like god is in the house, into my arms, and the lyre of orpheus where the crowd were invited to sing

The band/singers energy?

Haha come on. It's Nick Cave. Pretty self-explanatory really. There was heaps of playful banter. Although there were some minor technical diffculties about half way through, these were used by Cave as another opportunity for banter, yelling out he was a "magnet for incompetence" but quickly apologising to the roadies off stage with "I didnt mean that, you are all beautiful"

The venue?

The Enmore keep changing their layout which I'm not used to. this time they had two separate standing sections. I was initially a little distracted by the sound quality but that may have been influenced by my positioning quite close to speakers. The sound seemed to be improved by the time nick cave started his solo set so I wasnt too bothered.

Overall, I was really impressed, though I hadn't expected it to be anything less than what it was :eek:

HSC

My chemical romance rocked but circa survie sucked so bad it looked likethey had been taken over by devils for 40 min with their wacky dance moves

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)