Consider this -- Is all you need a degree? (1 Viewer)

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
most employers i have spoken to (mainly related to law) agree with beaky, that uni is not that important. but as keypad says, all other things being equal......

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
as we've already determined, just because you have a high enough UAI to get into USYD doesnt make you a good job candidate.
Who said anything about UAI? For all we know they both had the same UAI, and just went to different uni's because of convenience.

Whoever gives a job out to a graduate, based on his/her UAI should be shot for idiocy. (Unless that job involves alot of shoolwork ...)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
The only reason I would go for the UOWer is if he/she made a deal with me to work at half pay and twice as much effort.

I'd go for USyd usually because I know the standard of the departments at USyd is much higher than UOW. Especially for engineering.
I think i Hate u......:chainsaw: :burn: :vcross:

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
1. Marks (someone with a pass average might only know half of the material taught in the degree!!!)
2. Relevant work experience (saves lot of effort in training all the 'basic' stuff)
3. Irrelevant work experience (as above)
4. Uni (quality of education and quality of competition, arguable, but that's what I think)

Generator

HSC
N/A
I would consider the nature of the units taught at the university over the perceived quality of the school...

Basically, if it is a standard job at a standard firm, then the university attended makes little difference. However, at the 'higher' end, attending USyd or UNSW can make life much easier. It may not be right, but that is the way that it is.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
makes perfect sense to me...
except the unsw part :p

befree

We need to all realise that University isn't for everyone. Mr Smith might need it to get into dentistry but then Miss Bell doesn't need University for a welding job.
It is whats important to ourselves as individuals.
But also, don't do what you THINK you should do. Do it because you KNOW and WANT to.

Escape the fundamentals of society and just be free!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by befree
We need to all realise that University isn't for everyone. Mr Smith might need it to get into dentistry but then Miss Bell doesn't need University for a welding job.
It is whats important to ourselves as individuals.
But also, don't do what you THINK you should do. Do it because you KNOW and WANT to.

Escape the fundamentals of society and just be free!
yes, that is so true- but then again, money is factor for sure. :D

ladidid

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by BraZen
Consider this hypothetical.

You are an employer looking through a long list of graduate profiles, lets say that all these students have the same grades of about credit average. The only thing that changes is the university they attended, the things they have done outside of university including things like vacation work.

Would you give preferance to someone just becauce they went to a particular university, say just becauce they went to UNSW, UTS, USYD, MAQ, etc. Or would you look at other more personal qualities and skills they have shown in past work experience?

What are you thoughts?
I was talking to my uncle (who is a scientist) the other day and he was telling me that his employers never really asked him about which university he attended and never really seemed that interested either in the matter.

Personally I would put personal experience, skill and other qualifications over what university was attended.

Last edited:

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
honestly? i would go the UOW'er
Why?

Theoretically, you had a USyd grad, UOW grad, both maintained a 60 average, both did the same subjects.

So all things being equal, only the uni is different.

For an engineering job, I'd pick the USyd over the UOW simply because I know the facilities are better, and thus he/she would have more knowledge and/or experience than the UOWer.

Why would you pick the UOWer, is there some hidden bonus I don't see?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i honestly dont know, i cant explain it...just...i dunno...i think theres more of a community spirit at the 'regional' unis, and the larger ones, the students i know are like 'ok, i have to get 100% on everything i do and nothing else matters'...i just think people from smaller unis have a better balance, are more well rounded.
but thats just my opinion.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
jess has spoken!
The cutoffs for the regional unis are going to skyrocket now...

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Suvat
jess has spoken!
The cutoffs for the regional unis are going to skyrocket now...
prolly dat's y usyd give lyk, ppl livin far away like up to 2-3 uai bonus...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)