Damn! I forgot about Earth Hour. (1 Viewer)

HSC
...campaign to encourage businesses, communities and individuals to take the simple steps needed to cut their emissions on an ongoing basis

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
kenvinx2 up^ there has the right idea.

Just a symbolic gesture really. Didnt participate, cause there's no purpose. If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd turn off the power to industries.
Yeah man, lets cut the power off to the fucking industries and manufacturing plants. I see no negative repercussions to this ingenious plan at all. /sarcasm

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
But there is a little problem, the concept of earth hour is not really viable (if we were to do it like every week), we cant just sit in the dark.
Well you could, it's not like you were going to do anything important.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
CO2 doesn't actually have any cause-effect on global warming. Just extremely glorified by scientific theory where there was a increase ain Co2 & temp (by chance) and then decrease in temp but increase in CO2 (for over a few years).

The public panicked and thus became the global warming theory.

0hNivlek

HSC
I did it for like 5 minutes. Half Yearlies tomorrow so light is essential!

red-butterfly

HSC
i didnt, we lit up candles everywhere and ended up setting off the smoke alarm :S

HSC
lol..i was watching tv (swans game) and i saw itwas 8:45..so i went to my room and looked outside and saw most of the other buildings had lights on so i kept mine on :)

Venom.

HSC
kenvinx2 up^ there has the right idea.

Yeah man, lets cut the power off to the fucking industries and manufacturing plants. I see no negative repercussions to this ingenious plan at all. /sarcasm
I wasnt advocating that. I'm just explaining to pointlessness of such a stupid concept. So fuck you.

k2nv

HSC
For Earth Hour - I turned off my laptop charger and had candles :L i'm so cool.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Exactly. It's a good awareness raiser, but ultimately pointless- it just means that there's more unused electricity in the grid.
The power generated by turbines is variable, they don't operate constantly at maximum capacity, every kw is money the coal station doesn't need to lose. They can and do decrease output in response to decreasing load.

I'm not saying anything about the effectiveness or relevancy of earth hour, but it's a myth power stations will constantly operate at full capacity, and they must either be on or off.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
kevinx2 said:
In Soviet Russia, Earth Hour forgets you!
lol

I was at work, so I had no control over what the lights did... I did light candles though, but again, part of the job.

walkahz

HSC
HAHAHA I turned more lights on purposly. What a load of wank. Was listning to the radio on the way to the race track this morning though. Newcastle had a drop of a whole 7% of power usage WOW THATS FUCKING HUGE!! NOT.

pokerchoker

HSC
The power generated by turbines is variable, they don't operate constantly at maximum capacity, every kw is money the coal station doesn't need to lose. They can and do decrease output in response to decreasing load.

I'm not saying anything about the effectiveness or relevancy of earth hour, but it's a myth power stations will constantly operate at full capacity, and they must either be on or off.
If anything they have to ramp up capacity during this time for when all the earth hour dolts turn everything on all at once!

iNerd

Banned
HSC
earth hour
ftw
shame on you for those who didn't do it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)