Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

Ashabella

HSC
I could not agree more!! It's not worth putting your health and life in danger for the HSC. Life is precious and, in the long run, an extra year won't really make a difference
I second that.

:)

Ashabella

HSC
If you truly do suffer from depression, the best thing you can do is see a psych, if the first one you see is a piece of shit, go to another. PLEASE don't judge the helpfulness of psychologists by how helpful you found your school councilor (which, sadly, often isn't very helpful at all), it can really make a difference, particularly during the HSC.

Yeah, that's good advice. I think people often are too quick to judge all psychologists/counsellors on one bad experience. There tends to be this really strange and inaccurate perception of counsellors and psychologists. Most are really nice and understanding, hence their career choice.

For people that feel like a school counsellor is the only one available, I have good news... you are wrong.

Free anonymous counselling is available at local community health centres.

You can also call the mental health access line on 1300 369 968 and they can put you in touch with a free counselling service. Kids Help Line (1800 55 1800) and Lifeline (131114) can also help you to connect with services and provide counselling.

Sorry about all the info. I just wanted to lay it all out! haha

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
Heaps of people get depressed. It's pretty damn common. 1 in 4 Australians will experience depression at some point during their lives.

It's a sad statistic, but I think it might help people to feel like they are not alone.

What do you guys think?
sorry didnt mean depressed...cuz i get depressed and so does many people...i meant over the HSC...my mistake

loz8888

HSC
Yeah ok... i'm pretty stressed. Particularly today. I have spent the entire weekend trying to concentrate and write an essay for my half yearly exam tomorrow and have only managed to get out one pretty terrible paragraph. I have serious issues with concentration. haha

I think i'm just going to have to embrace failure! :z

I'm really glad you were able to get help :)
Coming on here and letting everyone know that you were able to do it and get through it all, is probably sending a really hopeful message. So thanks so much.

Ash
Oh don't stress! And no, you won't fail!! I'm sure you will be fine. Honestly, the time will pass so quickly and soon the HSC will be over. Just think of that huge break you get when it's all over!
I'm trying to write an essay today for psychology..but have also only written one paragraph.. quite ironic really because it's on procrastination lol!!
But yes, don't stress. Just try not to focus too far into the future because that can be too overwhelming. Good luck with the essay and the half yearlies.

And thanks, I think you're also sending a really positive message. Great thread! I think it's really great that people are able to talk about depression and other mental health issues now, without it attracting the stigma of being 'crazy'. I'm sure it's comforting for people to know that they aren't alone in their struggle, despite it often feeling like that.

Ashabella

HSC
Oh don't stress! And no, you won't fail!! I'm sure you will be fine. Honestly, the time will pass so quickly and soon the HSC will be over. Just think of that huge break you get when it's all over!
I'm trying to write an essay today for psychology..but have also only written one paragraph.. quite ironic really because it's on procrastination lol!!
But yes, don't stress. Just try not to focus too far into the future because that can be too overwhelming. Good luck with the essay and the half yearlies.

And thanks, I think you're also sending a really positive message. Great thread! I think it's really great that people are able to talk about depression and other mental health issues now, without it attracting the stigma of being 'crazy'. I'm sure it's comforting for people to know that they aren't alone in their struggle, despite it often feeling like that.
Thanks Lozza888,

Good luck with your essay too :)

That's so cool you're doing psychology! Well done.

Yeah, it's great that society is finally opening up and accepting these things. Although, there's still a long way to go.

Thanks again, and have a brilliant life! haha

loz8888

HSC
Thanks Lozza888,

Good luck with your essay too :)

That's so cool you're doing psychology! Well done.

Yeah, it's great that society is finally opening up and accepting these things. Although, there's still a long way to go.

Thanks again, and have a brilliant life! haha
Hahah thanks :) Best of luck! Hope you have a brilliant life too! :)

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
I try to go for a run every morning and I eat tuna or fish up to 5 times a week, coz it has zinc and magnesium. Which is good for moderating testosterone and modd swings and stuff :D. It worksreally well.

Ashabella

HSC
I try to go for a run every morning and I eat tuna or fish up to 5 times a week, coz it has zinc and magnesium. Which is good for moderating testosterone and modd swings and stuff :D. It worksreally well.
I have heard of that actually! I'm glad it's working for you. Go your motivation.. running every morning! Jeez! :p

Thanks for sharing that with everyone by the way. It's good to know that it can help too.

Cheers,

Ash

Petyo

HSC
I don't have any friend. I dont' feel like I can trust anyone, even the teachers. I'm so lonely, but I think I can survive though...

Ashabella

HSC
I don't have any friend. I dont' feel like I can trust anyone, even the teachers. I'm so lonely, but I think I can survive though...
:(

Oh, it sounds like things are really really hard.

Are you worried about someone betraying your trust if you tell them how you are feeling? You, teachers or other people that work with young people are not allowed to betray your trust unless they have fears for your safety.

Can we help you to work out some ways to cope with this?

Have you ever tried emailing/calling kids help line, by the way?

It could be really helpful for you to make contact with someone and get some help.
You shouldn't have to go through this alone Petyo. There is so much help and support out there, I promise. It's really just a matter of getting out there and accessing it. Getting help can be one of the scariest experiences, but I swear it will be worth it.

Is there anything I can help you with?

You said you THINK you can survive. Would I be correct in assuming that maybe there is a part of you that thinks you might not survive?

Please contact Kids help line or a relative, or friend if you are feeling unsafe.

You can beat this ok.

Ash xo

loz8888

HSC
what is with the negative comments?! honestly, why do some people have to be such dicks?! can't you have some empathy rather than coming onto these threads and trolling?!! seriously, just think about what you're saying before you say it..

and to the girl above who said she's really lonely, i hope you are okay. maybe we can help?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
lol @ everyone getting trolled.
Btw I see this tag that says 'smoke more cones'. That is 100% true, smoking weed will get rid of any and all depression you have.

But yer, I have absolutely no depression over HSC whatsoever. I was a bit bummed at the end of Summer holidays 'cause I knew I would have to go into full study mode ==;;
I went through depression in Year 9-10. But then yeah, awesome friends + computer got me out of it. (NOT SCHOOL/STUDY RELATED)

Petyo

HSC
Thanks Ashabella. My problem doesn't really invovle with depression due to the HSC though. It's just that I can't befriend with anyone. In the past I've tried to sit with many different groups, only to find out that I'm so different from my friends in some ways. I can neither bear the way they speak nor emphathise with their concerns. I always feel better when I stay in the library doing my works during lunch or recess.
What worries me is that I start talking to myself (indistinctly) so more often that it's like muttering all day and wherever I go. Maybe there's something wrong with me psychologically; but I'm too scared to see a doctor or
Maybe the problem is not as serious as I thought and I'm just too socially inadequate that I can't be integrated into any group at all...

joben

HSC
yea u gotta find people that are similar to u - people u can relate to. they are the best type of friends.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
yea u gotta find people that are similar to u - people u can relate to. they are the best type of friends.
Notrly, anyone that you get along with and can easily spend lots of time with.

da-g91

HSC
man i just spark up a ciggie every time im stressed out

not the healthiest way to go

but it helps so meh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)