Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

Ashabella

HSC
Thanks Ashabella. My problem doesn't really invovle with depression due to the HSC though. It's just that I can't befriend with anyone. In the past I've tried to sit with many different groups, only to find out that I'm so different from my friends in some ways. I can neither bear the way they speak nor emphathise with their concerns. I always feel better when I stay in the library doing my works during lunch or recess.
What worries me is that I start talking to myself (indistinctly) so more often that it's like muttering all day and wherever I go. Maybe there's something wrong with me psychologically; but I'm too scared to see a doctor or
Maybe the problem is not as serious as I thought and I'm just too socially inadequate that I can't be integrated into any group at all...
Hi again :)

Oh, I didn't actually make the thread with the purpose of depression DUE to the HSC it was more about dealing with depression (no matter what the cause) during the HSC.

Hmm... well I promise you that your problem is significant. If you are having trouble connecting with people, if you are withdrawing from others and if you are generally unhappy, then there is definitely a problem. All of those things you mentioned are symptoms of depression. So I would really encourage you to look into seeing a doctor or counsellor (remember seeing a counsellor can be free and anonymous at community health centres).

Why don't you ring around and try and find a doctor that bulk bills? That is, unless your happy to go with a doctor that is privatised? Or alternatively you could google your local community health centre and book an appointment to see a counsellor there.

OR you could call a help line. They can help you connect with these services too. And can be advocates for you during the process. And of course, you can chat with a counsellor there :)

It's really hard when you can't connect with anyone. It can be really really frustrating and it's no wonder that it makes you feel lonely.

Maybe you're talking to yourself because there is a lot of thoughts going through your head? Maybe there are just so many thoughts that you end up unconsciously speaking them in order to allow yourself to make better sense of them? What do you think?

Just so you know, you're not crazy. Maybe you are depressed, but that doesn't make you a loony. I promise ;)

It must be kind of disheartening hearing some of the rude comments people have posted in this thread. Just try to remember that the people posting those comments really have no idea what they're talking about (clearly..) and they're probably just bored. I assure you that the majority of people do understand depression and they do realise that it can have a very significant impact on someone's life. Professionals, such as doctor and counsellors are very aware of this. So please do not fear that there would be any judgement cast upon you if you decided to access one of these services.

I really hope you manage to muster up the courage to do something about this. Because, even though it seems scary, it will be worth it in the end. You can feel better you know. And one day you will be able to connect with people with more ease. Accessing support WILL help you in this process, and hopefully stop the difficult feelings you are feeling now, from getting any worse.

Think about it ok. This is possible. You can feel better, you just have to take the necessary steps.

And after all... you've got nothing to loose and everything to gain!

:)

Take care chook

xo

Ashabella

HSC
are u being serious or saecatic cos it sure sounds like the later
I'm being serious. It's great that person has found something that helps them to cope.

I'm not being sarcastic in any way.

I'm very sorry if it came across that way.

eggy91

HSC
Go to the beach or movies with friends and try to get out of the house at least once on the weekend, pref twice. Driving for about 30 mins is also good as it helps you unwind and relax, much like music. Btw Ash, you thinking about choosing a career in psychology or something? sounds like you would be suited to that lol.

Ashabella

HSC
Go to the beach or movies with friends and try to get out of the house at least once on the weekend, pref twice. Driving for about 30 mins is also good as it helps you unwind and relax, much like music. Btw Ash, you thinking about choosing a career in psychology or something? sounds like you would be suited to that lol.

Yeah that's awesome advice. Getting out of the house and getting some fresh air can often really help you to clear your head, hey? Exercise can help too :)

haha yes actually, that it probably the thing I would most like to do. Maybe law of teaching though... not sure. But i'm pretty sure my passion is helping people. So yeah, probably psychology :)

What about you Eggy?

Guardian23

HSC
Do not let HSC affect your other spheres of life (family, friends, sport, etc)

embrace what you can change as a test and accept what you cant change

alot of people suffer depression during HSC because they are ignorant of what they can and cannot change. Something you cannot change just has to be accepted so you can focus on what can be changed.

anyway, HSC results count for nothing in acheiving happyness and greatness if your priorities are set straight.

You spend no more than 130 years of living and infinite years of non living so why does it matter in the long term

eggy91

HSC
Yeah exercise def helps and speaking of it I'm thinking of doing a B science (health and exercise) at UNSW or B Applied Sc (sport and exercise) at USYD so i can get into a career like sports rehab/physio possibly.

Ashabella

HSC
Yeah exercise def helps and speaking of it I'm thinking of doing a B science (health and exercise) at UNSW or B Applied Sc (sport and exercise) at USYD so i can get into a career like sports rehab/physio possibly.
That sounds great :)

That would be a really good career I think. And those types of industries are growing, hey?

Good luck with it! I hope you get in and get the UAI you're hoping for. If not, well there are other ways to get there.

Have a good night Eggy,

Ash

slip00knot

HSC
my girlfriend has depression. its awful because she's such a lovely girl. i just support her however i can and give her space when she needs it :). she's decided to do something called crossroads or something. she does hsc over 2 years and she's pretty happy with that. tell your friends/boyfriend/girlfriend and look for support from both personal and professional sides. i promise if they are any kind of friend they won't mind supporting you. i hope this helps

Ashabella

HSC
my girlfriend has depression. its awful because she's such a lovely girl. i just support her however i can and give her space when she needs it :). she's decided to do something called crossroads or something. she does hsc over 2 years and she's pretty happy with that. tell your friends/boyfriend/girlfriend and look for support from both personal and professional sides. i promise if they are any kind of friend they won't mind supporting you. i hope this helps

:)

That's so nice to hear that you're supportive of her. I'm sure your advice will help! It's probably really refreshing for people to hear that a person that is not depressed, still can understand depression enough to recognise that it's significant.

Thanks so much for you input. I hope your girlfriend gets through it all okay and that you continue to be so understanding! (seriously, good on you!)

Best of luck to the both of you,

Ash :)

dosso

HSC
i find that when i go the gym i forget about all my problems... its like my release from the pressures of the HSC... i just find nothing better than lifting those dumbells and barbells... its like my religion.
i currently bench the bar and sometimes i can add 2.5 to each side if i go really hard
and yes, you can see some of the muscles of my abdomen

Ashabella

HSC
i find that when i go the gym i forget about all my problems... its like my release from the pressures of the HSC... i just find nothing better than lifting those dumbells and barbells... its like my religion.
i currently bench the bar and sometimes i can add 2.5 to each side if i go really hard
haha... well that's awesome you have found release. :)

Exercise can be good for that!

Ash ;)

likah666

HSC
Srsly how the fark do you get depression over the HSC if you fail go to tafe and do it again easier!!!

kids fail:jedi:

Sorry I have depression not from school but....so no hate

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Depression brought on by the HSC and depression during the HSC period are incredibly different things.

Ashabella

HSC
Srsly how the fark do you get depression over the HSC if you fail go to tafe and do it again easier!!!

kids fail:jedi:

Sorry I have depression not from school but....so no hate

Hmm I actually never intended this thread to be about depression due to the HSC.

I was more just talking about dealing with depression while doing the HSC. The cause of depression is irrelevant in the end, because regardless, it's going to make you feel like shit.

Even though I have never experienced depression DUE to the HSC, I don't think it's unreasonable or at all strange that people would be depressed due to the pressures of the HSC.

That happens a lot, to a lot of people.

It's not unreasonable... people don't get to choose whether or not they get depressed, it just happens.

Some people get depression from not external pressure at all. It's all about the chemical imbalance... sometimes it's genetic, sometimes it's event driven... sometimes it can even be both.

When your stress and anxiety levels are consistently high, a chemical imbalance can occur and cause depression.

Considering that the HSC can be pretty stressful for a lot of people, science pretty much proves that it's totally understandable to be depressed over it.

Do you see where i'm coming from?

Ash

Ashabella

HSC
Depression brought on by the HSC and depression during the HSC period are incredibly different things.

Really though?

Because the final diagnosis is still 'Depression'.

It's still the same illness.

Sure, it can differ in severity, but it can certainly still affect people just as significantly as depression caused by other factors.

Let be fair here...

depression is depression.

depression can differ in severity based on the severity of external factors and on brain chemistry.

And depression can arise due to the pressure of the HSC, and that is OKAY, and perfectly understandable.

Do you still not agree?

likah666

HSC
Hmm I actually never intended this thread to be about depression due to the HSC.

I was more just talking about dealing with depression while doing the HSC. The cause of depression is irrelevant in the end, because regardless, it's going to make you feel like shit.

Even though I have never experienced depression DUE to the HSC, I don't think it's unreasonable or at all strange that people would be depressed due to the pressures of the HSC.

That happens a lot, to a lot of people.

It's not unreasonable... people don't get to choose whether or not they get depressed, it just happens.

Some people get depression from not external pressure at all. It's all about the chemical imbalance... sometimes it's genetic, sometimes it's event driven... sometimes it can even be both.

When your stress and anxiety levels are consistently high, a chemical imbalance can occur and cause depression.

Considering that the HSC can be pretty stressful for a lot of people, science pretty much proves that it's totally understandable to be depressed over it.

Do you see where i'm coming from?

Ash
Yes sorry I didn't read what you said at the start fully.

I do see where you are comming from trust me.

I wish this mental illness on nobody.

I hope you get through this struggle and your HSC , best of luck to you!!

I still Battle my depression but I keep it hidden to my friends and family :(

gurusson

HSC
earlier i added a post about bible verses but forgot to mention which ones so they are
Romans 8, verse 10
2 corinthians 5, verses 11-21 with emphasis on 17,18 and 21
also i find sport helps

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Really though?

Because the final diagnosis is still 'Depression'.

It's still the same illness.

Sure, it can differ in severity, but it can certainly still affect people just as significantly as depression caused by other factors.

Let be fair here...

depression is depression.

depression can differ in severity based on the severity of external factors and on brain chemistry.

And depression can arise due to the pressure of the HSC, and that is OKAY, and perfectly understandable.

Do you still not agree?
I think he means that depression can be brought on by the HSC because of the pressure for results, or the realisation of its importance to some people, whereas depression can happen during the HSC due to other factors because it can definitely be a hard time for some, and can influence you're performance throughout the year.

eilys close

HSC
I think that whether the depression is DUE to HSC or DURING the HSC is important -

Due to HSC - it's mainly going to be full of worries about marks, not getting UAI/job you want, losing contact due to studying, ect. Once the HSC is over, it would (in theory) be easier to recover from (note, nobody just 'gets over' depression. It's not like you tripped over a rock or something. psshh!). Unless, of course, the depression caused other areas of life to disintergrate to the point where the focus of the depression shifts.

DURING HSC would be worse, in my opinion. It's assuming that a) something else has distracted you (aka, bad breakup, death in the family,ect) OR
b) Prior Depression. This is depression a person had (long) before and would be sort of an in-grained behaviour.

Any depression, of course, there are the usual recommendations
1. Excercise. Or at least get out of the house!
2. Meet new people
3. Have hobbies.
4. Don't over stress
5. Call a helpline

And while of course all of these would work (I suppose), I'd like to ask: if you were depressed, as in truly CLINICALLY DEPRESSED with antisocial/selfharm/suicidal tendencies, then where the hell are they supposed to get the motivation to do any of these? That's one of the things we learnt in mental health 101 at school - that Depression = no motivation.

My (perhaps harsh) advice is this: Grit your teeth and bear it. HSC will not last for the rest of your life. You are in control of yourself, even when it feels like it's all lost. If it's lost, it can be found!

Note: I am not willing to state where I get my info from (whether it be from a friend/family/myself who suffered Depression or simply because I listened in PDHPE) because that's information I can't divulge on a place where people I know might find out. And apparently, someone from my school has figured out that this account is me...

Venom.

HSC
Strong. If thats 2.5 pounds, I'm rather impressed. :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)