Discussion Thread for Atar Notes & other forums (2 Viewers)

enoilgam

HSC
Re: ATAR Notes vs Bored of Studies

The moderators on ATAR Notes are quite active and closer to their users especially on the study and HSC threads, unlike the Moderators on BOS unfortunately.
I think this is a fair point about BoS. What you have to remember though is that a lot of the Mods on BoS are quite old and removed from the HSC. Like for me, I graduated from uni several years ago and have been working full-time for quite a while now. So for me its hard to post in the HSC forums because it was just so long ago. Also, when you work full-time it can be draining and posting on BoS and doing things like essay marking can be a real drain. I see myself as being more of an elder statesman on BoS and my contribution is more limited to employment (namely because I work in the HR area).

So that being said, Id like to see more younger Moderators who are either doing their HSC or have just finished. I think building that bridge between the mod team and user base is very important. We always welcome applications and I personally wouldnt mind seeing a few more people applying.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Have you had a rough time on this forum?
Just bc I said ppl on ATAR notes are friendlier doesn't mean that I'm saying that ppl on BOS are the type I don't like. Like every forum you get the good and the bad

But yeah the rules on ATAR notes are stricter and are bullshit IMO

Simorgh

HSC

The amount of searches over time on Google.

Lets compare the likes on Facebook as of now.

Bored of Studies: 1,160
ATAR Notes: 12,089

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

I think this is a fair point about BoS. What you have to remember though is that a lot of the Mods on BoS are quite old and removed from the HSC. Like for me, I graduated from uni several years ago and have been working full-time for quite a while now. So for me its hard to post in the HSC forums because it was just so long ago. Also, when you work full-time it can be draining and posting on BoS and doing things like essay marking can be a real drain. I see myself as being more of an elder statesman on BoS and my contribution is more limited to employment (namely because I work in the HR area).

So that being said, Id like to see more younger Moderators who are either doing their HSC or have just finished. I think building that bridge between the mod team and user base is very important. We always welcome applications and I personally wouldnt mind seeing a few more people applying.
We'll we do have some moderators who 've been here for a while and are working fulltime i.e. Trebla and Carrotsticks

But that said, we do have some young moderators who can relate to people quite well e.g. ppl like Strawberrye, Blit2014 and Katsumi

But ATAR notes isn't really targeted for uni students though (in victoria it is but not in NSW) as opposed to BOS it is

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I guess BOS's popularity has declined over the years? What's the reason for this?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

That's munted though, especially when BOS has been used by HSC students longer than ATAR notes

Also I believe the way ATAR notes markets themselves, is what makes them look popular as opposed to BOS and how they run free lectures and offer free essay marking for people who need it

BOS (IMO) seems popular because it's been existing here for a while and has been originally used by HSC students (remember ATAR notes was orginally used by Victorian's). It kinda starts off with people helping each other out and then people paying by by helping others out, etc. It's sort of like a chain reaction

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

If we're going on arbitrary constraints, then I will put this out as I have not seen anything about it yet.

ATAR notes is ugly as heck, the formatting is difficult to follow, so it's nearly impossible to tell where one post ends and another begins.

Compare BOS, where we have the distinct Navy Blue banner which marks the beginning of every post. The simplicity of the layout is easy on the eyes too.

Simorgh

HSC

Past 90 days within Australia. Must have been a busy period with all the Yr 12s preparing for trials and the current exams as of now.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

That's munted though, especially when BOS has been used by HSC students longer than ATAR notes

Also I believe the way ATAR notes markets themselves, is what makes them look popular as opposed to BOS and how they run free lectures and offer free essay marking for people who need it

BOS (IMO) seems popular because it's been existing here for a while and has been originally used by HSC students (remember ATAR notes was orginally used by Victorian's). It kinda starts off with people helping each other out and then people paying by by helping others out, etc. It's sort of like a chain reaction
So the main reason for ATAR Notes' apparent increase in recent popularity vs. BOS would be advertising superiority?

Simorgh

HSC

I guess BOS's popularity has declined over the years? What's the reason for this?
The high times of BOS were from 2004 to 2011 according to Google. Even from a lot of the older threads on this site I noticed there used to be so much activity until now.

Notice how the HSC comes closer every year activity gradually sky rocketed. Notice all those peaks.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

The high times of BOS were from 2004 to 2011 according to Google. Even from a lot of the older threads on this site I noticed there used to be so much activity until now.

Yeah, that does seem to be the case. Perhaps after such a long time, people just got bored of Bored of Studies.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

So the main reason for ATAR Notes' apparent increase in recent popularity vs. BOS would be advertising superiority?
It's really the way they market and advertise themselves to the general public (well to be more exact HSC students). Like how they keep saying things like "we understand the HSC is hard, and we wanna help you go through it" and how they claim to offer free services such as "free essay marking" and "free lectures" as opposed to other businesses that charge money. Also they claim that they "tutor" people "for free" when really all they offer is free help for nothing in return

They also say things like "our service becomes better when you invite more people to join ATAR notes", hence I am getting this feeling ppl are spreading the word of ATAR notes (also for free essay marking and free lectures)

I remember in one of their lecture slides it said "ATAR notes, just like Boredofstudies but better"

enoilgam

HSC

They also say things like "our service becomes better when you invite more people to join ATAR notes", hence I am getting this feeling ppl are spreading the word of ATAR notes (also for free essay marking and free lectures)
The thing with something like this is sustainability. As I said before, eventually Mods get older and they just cant keep providing this kind of service. It has to be a perpetual thing whereby new users come on and start providing the service. Ive always been an adherent to the logic that Mods dont create, they facilitate.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

Notice how the HSC comes closer every year activity sky rocketed. Notice all those peaks.

thats when I was around

#famous

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Notice how the HSC comes closer every year activity gradually sky rocketed. Notice all those peaks.

My pulse rate tbh.

Orwell

HSC

I probably shouldn't have called my ATAR Notes account Orwell...

Orwell

HSC

Nah, I only made an account because some chick had her EE2 Major up for download and I needed an account to get it. I didn't nor do I plan on using Atar Notes as opposed to BOS.

Btw, is Atar Notes in its infancy? Their notes aren't as excessive nor substantive as BOS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)