Discussion Thread for Atar Notes & other forums (1 Viewer)

Simorgh

HSC
Re: ATAR Notes vs Bored of Studies

Nah, I only made an account because some chick had her EE2 Major up for download and I needed an account to get it. I didn't nor do I plan on using Atar Notes as opposed to BOS.

Btw, is Atar Notes in its infancy? Their notes aren't as excessive nor substantive as BOS.
They have been around since 2007 and their still much more popular in Victoria. However they only recently started targetting the HSC and students in NSW like only this year I believe. So most of their notes and forum for HSC is of this year.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

They have been around since 2007 and their still much more popular in Victoria. However they only recently started targetting the HSC and students in NSW like only this year I believe. So most of their notes and forum for HSC is of this year.
Do you have an account?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

Another fact to consider..that the people running Atar Notes get paid so they can work full time there and help the kids out with essays and what not..but mods here work voluntary...Carrotsticks doesn't get paid making BoS trials while when they run the Lectures they get money from universities and advertisements. Personally I don't see any 'battle', my sole purpose to use both sites is to help me through HSC.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Another fact to consider..that the people running Atar Notes get paid so they can work full time there and help the kids out with essays and what not..but mods here work voluntary...Carrotsticks doesn't get paid making BoS trials while when they run the Lectures they get money from universities and advertisements. Personally I don't see any 'battle' my sole purpose to use both sites to help me through HSC.
That's people like Brenden who are the op managers of ATAR notes, not moderators like Jamon, Jake and Elyse (uni students) though who actually work for ATAR notes. You have to remember that ATAR notes is mainly situated in Vic (and there isn't as much attention to NSW) and BOS is associated with the HSC

I think the way they get paid is through selling those revision booklets, not the essay marking because they offer essay marking for free.

And yes the mods on BOS do things voluntarily for the benefit of others and so do some other moderators in ATAR notes

ANd the lectures run at UTS are actually for free. They have to ask them to use the rooms free of charge

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Only posted on atar notes for the maths HSC thread since they have solutions there but other than that no, because the format is so bad.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

If you guys have ideas to better the site, and more importantly believe you have the dedication and commitment to help us make the site better-then I welcome you all to apply to be a moderator-a site will only be as good as the willingness of people to work towards changing it. We need more people to be willing to step up to the responsibility, moderate this site and expand on what we offer. The chance is in your hands (don't complain and expect other people will always be able to change it-there is only so few of us who moderates the forums regularly, and even less who post regularly, hence when you ask questions, also think about what you can give back to the BOS community in return-it really is a cyclic thing.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC

That's people like Brenden who are the op managers of ATAR notes, not moderators like Jamon, Jake and Elyse (uni students) though who actually work for ATAR notes. You have to remember that ATAR notes is mainly situated in Vic (and there isn't as much attention to NSW) and BOS is associated with the HSC

I think the way they get paid is through selling those revision booklets, not the essay marking because they offer essay marking for free.

And yes the mods on BOS do things voluntarily for the benefit of others and so do some other moderators in ATAR notes

ANd the lectures run at UTS are actually for free. They have to ask them to use the rooms free of charge
They are sponsored my uts with the lectures, so I think uts pays $$$ to them for the publicity tbh

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A

If you guys have ideas to better the site, and more importantly believe you have the dedication and commitment to help us make the site better-then I welcome you all to apply to be a moderator-a site will only be as good as the willingness of people to work towards changing it. We need more people to be willing to step up to the responsibility, moderate this site and expand on what we offer. The chance is in your hands (don't complain and expect other people will always be able to change it-there is only so few of us who moderates the forums regularly, and even less who post regularly, hence when you ask questions, also think about what you can give back to the BOS community in return-it really is a cyclic thing.
I'm going to second this. Moderator applications are highly encouraged and needed to keep the site going. I'd suggest giving it a go if you at all want to play a direct part in the running and improvement of BoS.

If anyone wants to discuss anything about modship/apps privately you can always PM me

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

I'm going to second this. Moderator applications are highly encouraged and needed to keep the site going. I'd suggest giving it a go if you at all want to play a direct part in the running and improvement of BoS.

If anyone wants to discuss anything about modship/apps privately you can always PM me
Isn't there a certain criteria you must meet in order to become a mod Katusmi? (e.g. your contributions to this forum, your infraction history, why you want to become a mod, etc)

BTW I forgot to mention (I'm talking mainly to you Simorgh) but in ATAR notes, if you get IP banned, you account(s) get permanently banned as well, so if you try to go on another computer under another IP and login into your original account, they'll IP ban atar notes from that computer as well, so yeah if you wanna come back to ATAR notes, then do it under another username and a brand new IP

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A

Isn't there a certain criteria you must meet in order to become a mod Katusmi? (e.g. your contributions to this forum, your infraction history, why you want to become a mod, etc)

BTW I forgot to mention (I'm talking mainly to you Simorgh) but in ATAR notes, if you get IP banned, you account(s) get permanently banned as well, so if you try to go on another computer under another IP and login into your original account, they'll IP ban atar notes from that computer as well, so yeah if you wanna come back to ATAR notes, then do it under another username and a brand new IP
There's no specific criteria to apply.

An ideal moderator would have those traits yet a willingness to really pitch in and contribute is all that's required for an application.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

There's no specific criteria to apply.

An ideal moderator would have those traits yet a willingness to really pitch in and contribute is all that's required for an application.

not what I was told when I applied

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC

Going to safely assume that BOS wouldn't want their flow of visits to go to a competitor (not sure if they get revenue from advertisements and what not?). Just a guess though, I use to see 1 - 2 advertisements on BOS but now I look for them, the header is gone.

Can say that AN has more activity in the help department from what I remember because they actually have people who purposefully look to help people with questions. But BOS community is more fun IMO (also need to insert some bias because I saw BOS first and stuck around to see a lot of faces etc)

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Going to safely assume that BOS wouldn't want their flow of visits to go to a competitor (not sure if they get revenue from advertisements and what not?). Just a guess though, I use to see 1 - 2 advertisements on BOS but now I look for them, the header is gone.

Can say that AN has more activity in the help department from what I remember because they actually have people who purposefully look to help people with questions. But BOS community is more fun IMO (also need to insert some bias because I saw BOS first and stuck around to see a lot of faces etc)
Felt the need to revive this after 1 month but yes ATAR notes has more activity in the help department because there moderators there feel that it is their duty to help others even though they are under no obligation to do so. As opposed to BOS they help in multiple subjects (I mean one person helping others in 4-5 different subjects) however on BOS, it's usually that one subject (or 2 depending on the circumstance) that individuals help out with

But yes, there are heaps of helpful articles which the moderators at ATAR notes has created as opposed to BOS (we still do have heaps of "helpful articles")

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Btw I know this is a bit irrelevant to the thread, but could we please start a moderator nomination thing where in a thread we nominate certain users to be moderators and why

E.g. I nominate this user because he has made many contributions such as __________________ and has helped many people in return in choosing their desired subjects for high school, etc

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Our selection of moderators does not work on a nomination mechanism, it works on the individual willing to submit an application to be considered. Unfortunately nomination is not going to be very effective if the individual nominated is unwilling to take on the responsibility in the long term, and they can only demonstrate that by personally taking the effort to fill in the relevant application form. We don't mere select moderators because they are smart and help out around the forum, they need to be passionate about staying around and also have good ideas to reform our site as well.

Also in response to your insight that ATAR Notes moderators seems to be a lot more willing to help than our moderators, it might do well to consider that all of the moderators were willing to give a lot back to the community even if their contributions are declining, it is unrealistic to expect a few moderators to always answer endless questions when those who have been helped/graduated don't step up to the mark and help out as well and some of us have stayed many years on as moderator, even if our occupation is not education related, do you get that sort of extremely long time commitment with all the moderators on ATAR notes?, I don't know whether you experienced this-but if you constantly help others over a significant period of time, you get drained out and become no good to anybody. I have had that experience as well, and as a result, I tend not to answer repetitive questions that have been asked many times before on the forum-when people could also have taken a bit more effort to search for previous answers, it is unrealistic and unfair to even suggest we are not doing our best and not pouring our hearts and soul to this community.

It is unfair to suggest that moderators should give help as a matter of people's right as users of this forum. We are not super humans and I think it is fair to say all the moderators is doing the very best they could given the circumstance, the very fact we are still on this website and still helping around despite our inability to change it is a testament to our commitment to our role. If our generation could all learn to be a bit more grateful, and take less things for granted, then we will all live better for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Also in response to your insight that ATAR Notes moderators seems to be a lot more willing to help than our moderators, it might do well to consider that all of the moderators were willing to give a lot back to the community even if their contributions are declining, it is unrealistic to expect a few moderators to always answer endless questions when those who have been helped/graduated don't step up to the mark and help out as well and some of us have stayed many years on as moderator, even if our occupation is not education related, do you get that sort of extremely long time commitment with all the moderators on ATAR notes?, I don't know whether you experienced this-but if you constantly help others over a significant period of time, you get drained out and become no good to anybody. I have had that experience as well, and as a result, I tend not to answer repetitive questions that have been asked many times before on the forum-when people could also have taken a bit more effort to search for previous answers, it is unrealistic and unfair to even suggest we are not doing our best and not pouring our hearts and soul to this community.

It is unfair to suggest that moderators should give help as a matter of people's right as users of this forum. We are not super humans and I think it is fair to say all the moderators is doing the very best they could given the circumstance, the very fact we are still on this website and still helping around despite our inability to change it is a testament to our commitment to our role. If our generation could all learn to be a bit more grateful, and take less things for granted, then we will all live better for it.
ATAR notes spread to NSW in 2016 (I think) and I think the way they got moderators was through applying and making sure those candidates were actually willing to commit a lot of time in helping ATAR notes users out. (according to their site and their moderator nomination process)

And yes there are people on BOS who do step up to give back (or they just help others out because they feel better in doing so). As for the experience with the moderators on ATAR notes, since there aren't many threads out there (due to not being in NSW for a long period of time) people can easily look through the threads (which would be like 2-3 pages worth) to look at certain comments

Also they have a "2U maths help thread", "physics help thread", "free AOS essay marking thread", "English Advanced Q&A thread", etc which I guess makes it easier for people to search up questions. Also ATAR notes tries to make other people help out each other (I can't remember how they do it) and encourages people in doing so

I know for a fact one of the moderators there, spends so much time there and doesn't even sleep till like 3am in the morning because he is actually that bothered to help people out on ATAR notes

I dont ever recall having an experience of that sort so I cant really have a say

And I never said it is unfair for the moderators on BOS to not help others, I mean not only have you helped heaps of people yourself but so have other moderators who've created certain "guides" and such. All I did was just agreed with another user who said "ATAR notes has better help department" and said that even though at ATAR notes they are under no obligation to help others, they feel that it's their duty to help them, and when I said as opposed to BOS I meant subject wise as in on ATAR notes they help out with all the subjects they did wheras on BOS they only help out on maybe 1-2 subjects (I mean most moderators on BOS seem to have a focus on help on maybe 1-2 subjects as opposed to like 5, like I mean you help out with english and Chemistry right?)

I think maybe I wasnt being clear enough on my post. But when I said they have heaps of helpful articles, I meant for a small forum like ATAR notes, they have a heap of helpful articles mainly because the moderators there are contributing heaps and again feel that it is their job despite being under no obligation wheras in BOS there are heaps of articles and whatever due to the generosity of such moderators such as you, emoilgam, Trebla, Katsumi, etc and even some normal users do create things that will benefit others in return (such as Queenroot, Envlam and Swagmeister) which I guess only like 1-3 people on ATAR notes do, but if you compared the ratio of people who help on ATAR notes and their general population in the NSW sector and compare it to BOS, ratio wise I think ATAR notes has more help

But yes I am sure everyone is still grateful for all the moderator's work here on BOS because you and all the other mods have helped hundreds of users free of charge, and I'm not saying help on the forum, I mean other means as well such as how Carrotsticks makes free BOS trials and how you ran those english and chemistry seminars in the past, I mean I'm sure that's just as much as what ATAR notes offers in terms of free events outside the online forum

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Have a look at this

Wow, that is a lot of online users (on ATAR Notes). It does seem to be their highest ever though so far. Do you think it'll continue to increase? They do cater for other states as well though, so maybe that boosts their usage?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)