Do you believe in God? (2 Viewers)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

snagrit

HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

Religion is evil, Stupid, Childish and frankly a kick in the face to human progress. Jesus is santa claus for Grown ups....just my two cents.

Cheesecake_a

HSC

True, at times some are only a certain religion by name and do not actually practice.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

Assume everything is true until otherwise informed by the absence of sensory cues.
Poe once questioned, "Is what we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?" (later became the premise for Inception but that's a different story lol)

Why must existence be based on what we see or seem?

1. Atheists say that religion makes up gods.
2. Religion is made by man.
The Greeks made up a religion, so did the Indians, the Egyptians etc. But that does not mean they made up God.

You see there is no distinction between 'Zeus' or 'Amun" or "Krishna" or "The Abrahamic God". These ideologies and manifestations/interpretations of God were formed by societies and humans who struggled to comprehend a transient God, so they create religion as a means of comprehending God, and achieving spiritual salvation. But God knows no religion. God transcends religion.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

agnosticism is not about belief. gnostic literally means knowledge.

agnosticism/gnosticism are knowledge (truth) claims. agnostics do not claim to know whether god exists. gnostics claim that to know that god does or does not does exist.
atheism/theism are positions of belief. atheists reject the belief that god exists. theists believe in god.

therefore one can be one of the following:

agnostic athiest (does not believe in god, does not claim to know the truth of this belief)
gnostic athiest (does not believe in god, claims that this belief is the truth)
agnostic theist (believes in god, does not claim to know the truth of this belief)
gnostic theist (believes in god, claims that this belief is the truth)

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

agnosticism is not about belief.

agnosticism/gnosticism are truth claims. agnostics do not claim to know whether god exists. gnostics claim that to know that god does or does not does exist.
atheism/theism are positions of belief. atheists reject the belief that god exists. theists believe in god.

agnostic athiest (does not believe in god, does not claim to know the truth of this belief)
agnostic theist (believes in god, does not claim to know the truth of this belief)
fence sitters

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think existence can be based on one's ability to 'sense' their world around. However, their ability to actually understand or comprehend or know of their own existence. Do you exist, if you yourself, are not aware of it? I think so.
But should you exist? I think not.
Also, without anything to compare to how would be know who we were and if you had no senses you'd be caught in your own thought forever and you wouldn't be able to eat or drink. You would die thinking about nothing.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Why did you convert to Islam?
When I was a Christain, I was a Pentecostal. Commonly known as the "happy clappers". Well, I knew a Muslim who was not practicing and I was not a practicing Christian. I began practicing again and so did the Muslim. We spoke about religion and then I initially thought Islam was strange. However, as I began to look into many sources such as practicing Muslims, Sheikhs, I even spoke to my Christian pastor, I realised that Islam had what I needed. The main reason I converted was because I didn't believe that Jesus could be God, and that God must be one, with no partner or any other associate. So basically, the concept of the Trinity I studied and I no longer agreed with it.

It took me awhile to realise, and I am greatful that I did this. It has changed my life.

Also, it is nice to know people are willing to ask me questions without any rude statements, etc. I like to have civil conversations, and ignore anyone who refuses to speak in a mature and respectful way.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
But should you exist? I think not.
Also, without anything to compare to how would be know who we were and if you had no senses you'd be caught in your own thought forever and you wouldn't be able to eat or drink. You would die thinking about nothing.
not to mention most animals do not exhibit self-awareness (seemingly aquawhite's inconsistent condition for existence) but they seem to exist.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
When I was a Christain, I was a Pentecostal. Commonly known as the "happy clappers". Well, I knew a Muslim who was not practicing and I was not a practicing Christian. I began practicing again and so did the Muslim. We spoke about religion and then I initially thought Islam was strange. However, as I began to look into many sources such as practicing Muslims, Sheikhs, I even spoke to my Christian pastor, I realised that Islam had what I needed. The main reason I converted was because I didn't believe that Jesus could be God, and that God must be one, with no partner or any other associate. So basically, the concept of the Trinity I studied and I no longer agreed with it.

It took me awhile to realise, and I am greatful that I did this. It has changed my life.

Also, it is nice to know people are willing to ask me questions without any rude statements, etc. I like to have civil conversations, and ignore anyone who refuses to speak in a mature and respectful way.

so you're saying genies make more sense to you than a triune God?

pretty sure 'sense' had nothing to do with it. you seem to admit this when you say that "Islam had what you needed".

maybe Timothy 2:11 just didnt jive with you.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Cheesecake_a - did you have to change your name to some disgusting Arab one and learn Arabic?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Well it had what I needed, which made sense.
so you didn't go the extra step and wonder why you needed it at all?

that would have been terribly confronting.

p.s. you cannot consequentially justify a religious decision.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

agnosticism is not about belief. gnostic literally means knowledge.

agnosticism/gnosticism are knowledge (truth) claims. agnostics do not claim to know whether god exists. gnostics claim that to know that god does or does not does exist.

gonna keep posting this

how confident are you really that unicorns don't exist?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

as much as I want land-narwhals to exist, without evidence i remain an agnostic aunicorneist

jezzmo

Now lactating. Sample me.
HSC
N/A

Poe once questioned, "Is what we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?" (later became the premise for Inception but that's a different story lol)

Why must existence be based on what we see or seem?
As someone who abused psychedelics - I absolutely agree that our senses are but a spectrum of reality.

But I will not deduce from that, that a very complex being necessarily exists without so much as an inkling of sensory or rational basis. To do so sets a dangerous precedent - one that can quite easily lead into madness.

If you can imagine anything and believe it to be true under the argument "it could be true" - it may be very useful or a hindrance to your life. And by all means, you are entitled to believe it. But it says nothing as to the truth of your belief. So I don't have an argument against this post of yours specifically, in fact I agree with it - I use "faith" as a tool to get through the unknown and create a video game out of life.

But I could and would never use these versions of existence in defence of an act or violation of real world (ie. testable) ethics - nor would I enforce it. This is where the distinction needs to be made - let the religious/daydreamers/fantasy football league managers enjoy their Narnia, but when they start trying to make rules that affect others, the line needs to be drawn, opiates removed from the bloodstream and the feet tugged back to ground for review.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)