Does Co-op scholarship people know our preferences (1 Viewer)

zando6

HSC
Im applying to UNSW for medicine and engineering co-op, and in the co-op scholarship application they require the UAC preferences. Does anyone know if Co-op actually has access to our actual preferences, since I may consider rearranging my preferences to make their co-op number my first preference, in light of the fact I bombed my umat :(

Cheers

michaeljennings

HSC
I was also wondering if Unis such as Usyd and Macquarie know the order of your preferences when you apply for scholarships?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
i dont know about coop scholarship but i know USYD had access to my uac preferences when i had my interview for the scholarship so if USYD has access to it surely UNSW will as well.

tambam

HSC
Im applying to UNSW for medicine and engineering co-op, and in the co-op scholarship application they require the UAC preferences. Does anyone know if Co-op actually has access to our actual preferences, since I may consider rearranging my preferences to make their co-op number my first preference, in light of the fact I bombed my umat :(

Cheers
Doesn't the coop ask you to list your uac preferences as part of the application?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn't the coop ask you to list your uac preferences as part of the application?
i think op's question is to see if he/she can just write his/her coop choice as 1st preference when in fact medicine is the 1st choice

michaeljennings

HSC
i dont know about coop scholarship but i know USYD had access to my uac preferences when i had my interview for the scholarship so if USYD has access to it surely UNSW will as well.
im applying for a scholarship atusyd and macquarie and coop for unsw. if i am lucky enough to get an interview can i just change my preferences around once i have recieved the interview? cos i cant put all 3 of them first so how could someone who wants to apply for a scholarship for multiple unis get around this?

tambam

HSC
i think op's question is to see if he/she can just write his/her coop choice as 1st preference when in fact medicine is the 1st choice
Wait, as in he/she is intending to be dishonest in the application??

zando6

HSC
Wait, as in he/she is intending to be dishonest in the application??
No, I'm not, far from it. Sorry if it sounded like that, what I meant was perhaps putting the co-op course as first preference would maybe be better, I don't mind putting medicine as my second preference since I bombed my umat.

tambam

HSC
No, I'm not, far from it. Sorry if it sounded like that, what I meant was perhaps putting the co-op course as first preference would maybe be better, I don't mind putting medicine as my second preference since I bombed my umat.
Ohh, i see. Well the application asks you to put your preferences, so then they'd definitely know (unless you CHOSE to be dishonest, which was what i thought you might have been implying).
And yeah, i think to an extent you're meant to show that you are very very passionate about engineering, and that would be reflected in your uac preferences, so they might consider that.

But if what you really want to do is med, would that jeopardise your chances if you didn't place it as first preference? Cos there are still some unis that take students with relatively lower umats if you have high atars, or they don't consider umat at all right?
And UNSW coops are very competitve, so there's no guarantee of getting a placement in that either

zando6

HSC
But if what you really want to do is med, would that jeopardise your chances if you didn't place it as first preference? Cos there are still some unis that take students with relatively lower umats if you have high atars, or they don't consider umat at all right?
And UNSW coops are very competitve, so there's no guarantee of getting a placement in that either
I know, it really is a gamble isn't it :~

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Slightly off topic, do we have to put the subjects we dropped in year 11 as part of our subjects under the academic reports (yr 11 half yearly, yearlies) section?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
um to answer op's question just change your preferences at least the week before your interview or something cause they tend to get the preferences 1 week early >.> I did that for usyd cause i didnt think i be doing my current degree so changed my preferences to try and get my scholarship. In the end I didnt end up taking the scholarship.

No but yea just change your preferences around, plus you dont need to finalise your med preferences until like early January.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Just so you know, I called the Co-op office to ask general questions and they said that they understand that we can change our preferences after receiving the scholarship/atar. Initially, they only look through the preference to gauge our interest in the chosen Co-op field.
So I think you should put med first...

twistedrebel

HSC
unis have access to all your preferences they know what number there listed, confirmed.

tambam

HSC
Initially, they only look through the preference to gauge our interest in the chosen Co-op field.
So I think you should put med first...
If they look at preferences to gauge interest, and OP has Med as his first choice then that shows that his passion does not lie in the field of engineering....

So yeah, I guess it is a bit of a gamble..

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
unis have access to all your preferences they know what number there listed, confirmed.
But it could be okay if you don't have the course 1st pref or something. They can just tell you to put it first preference if you made it in.

zando6

HSC
But it could be okay if you don't have the course 1st pref or something. They can just tell you to put it first preference if you made it in.
Um. I don't get what you wrote

preferences are based on what you want considered first, so if i don't get into medicine then the second preference (engineering) is to be considered

just checking how are offers to applicants for medicine made, through UAC? this occur after the interview right?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Um. I don't get what you wrote

preferences are based on what you want considered first, so if i don't get into medicine then the second preference (engineering) is to be considered

just checking how are offers to applicants for medicine made, through UAC? this occur after the interview right?
yeah but maybe after the interview, once they tell you ur accepted into medicine for example, then you can change your mind and put it as 1st pref.

michaeljennings

HSC
Guys, just to ask is anyone else in my situation: i'm freaking out I left the application to last & my school teachers hardly use their emails so I think i'm screwed!!
try calling them. I had to call one of my teachers today to ask him if i could use him as a referee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)