• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (9 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Deathwatch

HSC
Let me ask the question. What has god or any other religion done which is beneficial to humankind. On the other hand how does dis-believing in god have any relevancy to our modern-day society? In summary how does any god/gods have relevancy have any relevancy to our modern day society? I don't think arguing about god is beneficial to society in any way. i understand the teachings religions preach and for the most time I agree however extreme religious devotions lead to fanaticism and this leads to violence,crusades, jihads etc.

HSC
Christianity spawned Protestantism which spawned reason which spawned the demise of religious dogma.

In conclusion, Christianity is good because it resulted in the end of religion :confused:

MJ-47

HSC
This is a quote I got from a book entitled "Innocence of Heresy" which i think is a bit relevant to some of the issues addressed and some of you will appreciate.

ahem....
"Great actions have shaped our society...but religion has damned our kind for thousands of years, from the lowest superstition to the highest conclaves of spiritual faith. It has driven us to madness, to war, to murder and commit some of the most socially injust things that we as people accept as custom today. It hangs upon us like a disease, like a shackle ball.
Since the earliest of times humanity has striven to understand the workings of the cosmos, and where that understanding has failed, or fallen short, we have filled in the gaps, plastered over the discrepancies, with blind faith. Why does the sun go round the sky? I dont know, so i will attribute this to the efforts of a sun god with a golden chariot. Why do people die? I cant say, but I will choose to believeit is the murky business of a reaper who carries souls to some afterworld.
Religous faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all other trappings of a preternatural existance, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But now as we are beginning to unravel the fabric of reality, we must realise there is no longer a place for gods, and by extension no use for daemons, devils and spirits. Now the greatest thing mankind can do to shape their society, is to reinvent itself as a seculure culture."

so make of this what you will... :)
soz forgot to ask for this forums opinions of this extract..and excuse the spam. IMO I think this is a very relevant quote,
whts your two cents on this? hmmm

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
beginning to unravel the fabric of reality? What emotive trash. I dont understand people who say "Imo, religion has been harmful, therefore we should drop it". This lovely concept of "use"!
Thank goodness we have found a "use" for penguins in entertainment and amusing posters! Had we not, then on what basis would we not exterminate them? Thank goodness we found a "use" for Jews in Hollywood; otherwise that Hitler crew would've done us a huge favour.

If we can agree that Life is an end in itself, then surely a Creator requires even less of a utilitarian justification! To claim that 'religion' is harmful is a dishonest way of skirting around the God question; even if he is (this is highly debatable!), how does that disprove His reality?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Christianity spawned Protestantism which spawned reason which spawned the demise of religious dogma.

In conclusion, Christianity is good because it resulted in the end of religion :confused:
Judaism spawned Christianity and nationalistic polytheism spawned Judaism, therefore nationalism is good cos it ended religion.
Winnah.

greekgun

HSC
you prove to me he didn't speak to the angel. You are the undeniable enemy of Islam. the true beacon of ignorance. truth is shown to you through the quran yet you still look away.
the Quran proves Allah is the true god.
you prove he isnt.
I believe that he didnt speak to the angel, but there is no way i can prove he didn't speak to the angel; its just what i believe. You believe that he did, but cannot prove it either, but u still claim that he did and call all other religions inferior...its is u who is ignorant.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
you prove to me he didn't speak to the angel. You are the undeniable enemy of Islam. the true beacon of ignorance. truth is shown to you through the quran yet you still look away.
the Quran proves Allah is the true god.
you prove he isnt.
This assumes angels exist. Prove angels exist. The burden of proof is on you, my friend.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm off to confession guys!

Oh what horrible things i'm about to whisper!!
GULP

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
This is a quote I got from a book entitled "Innocence of Heresy" which i think is a bit relevant to some of the issues addressed and some of you will appreciate.

ahem....
"Great actions have shaped our society...but religion has damned our kind for thousands of years, from the lowest superstition to the highest conclaves of spiritual faith. It has driven us to madness, to war, to murder and commit some of the most socially injust things that we as people accept as custom today. It hangs upon us like a disease, like a shackle ball.
Since the earliest of times humanity has striven to understand the workings of the cosmos, and where that understanding has failed, or fallen short, we have filled in the gaps, plastered over the discrepancies, with blind faith. Why does the sun go round the sky? I dont know, so i will attribute this to the efforts of a sun god with a golden chariot. Why do people die? I cant say, but I will choose to believeit is the murky business of a reaper who carries souls to some afterworld.
Religous faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all other trappings of a preternatural existance, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But now as we are beginning to unravel the fabric of reality, we must realise there is no longer a place for gods, and by extension no use for daemons, devils and spirits. Now the greatest thing mankind can do to shape their society, is to reinvent itself as a seculure culture."

so make of this what you will... :)
Hey, who wrote the book?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I'm off to confession guys!

Oh what horrible things i'm about to whisper!!
GULP
You going to include your sacreligious and unholy thoughts about Christina?

HSC
N/A
I believe that he didnt speak to the angel, but there is no way i can prove he didn't speak to the angel; its just what i believe. You believe that he did, but cannot prove it either, but u still claim that he did and call all other religions inferior...its is u who is ignorant.
This assumes angels exist. Prove angels exist. The burden of proof is on you, my friend.
i know he exists. the quran is the proof of his existence.

do you want me to post miracles of the quran?

lol

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
you know a priest does not forgive your sins, nor has any authority to do so
So you say, you filthy Anglican dog.
How 'bout you get some structure and consistency in your own beliefs before critisising those of other people!

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I am no longer burdened by things said and thought about Christina and SP
Iron is Holy again BoS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)