Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
HSC
Iron said:
We can use our God-given powers of intelligence for good or evil. The choice is ours
Very true. I completely agree.

It would be nice to see all humanity striving for what is right and what is good.
:spin:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
G...naturally! said:
Mind your language, and no! I absolutely love finding things out about the world! In case you didn't notice (well, you obviously didn't), I believe some things should be left to mystery, otherwise, we could be comparable to God in our knowledge. Does anyone actually want to be God? I doubt it.
Because if we were to become comparable to God in our intellect and knowledge, such a paradox wouldn't work well for your spiritual ideology, would it now?
Beside which, a god is simply a being who is beyond our comprehension or understanding. If we were all to become gods, then the original God would simply have been the first neo-homo-sapien.

And no, I'm not ignorant, merely observant of the whims of humanity.

Power. Ha. We all have a little of it, and look what we're doing to the world we love.

:rolleyes:
Another paradox. Love itself a form of power, so a love of this world and it's inhabitants is hardly killing it.

HSC
John Oliver said:
Lol definitions please.
Well if the whole world were striving to ensure that poverty wasn't such an issue, if the whole world was striving to ensure aid was sent to those most in need, and if the world could just LOVE. You know, stop all the hate. I know it's unrealistic, but just imagine a day where love reigned supreme.

:)

HSC
moll. said:
Because if we were to become comparable to God in our intellect and knowledge, such a paradox wouldn't work well for your spiritual ideology, would it now?
Beside which, a god is simply a being who is beyond our comprehension or understanding. If we were all to become gods, then the original God would simply have been the first neo-homo-sapien.

Another paradox. Love itself a form of power, so a love of this world and it's inhabitants is hardly killing it.
You will never understand my "spiritual ideology" and I'd rather you didn't hack on it.

Love, my friend, is a power that is all good.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
G...naturally! said:
You will never understand my "spiritual ideology" and I'd rather you didn't hack on it.

Love, my friend, is a power that is all good.
You said before you believe in God. So it is hardly an unreasonable assumption for me to think that you would not like the idea of God being simply equal to yourself and all other humans.

HSC
moll. said:
You said before you believe in God. So it is hardly an unreasonable assumption for me to think that you would not like the idea of God being simply equal to yourself and all other humans.
You're absolutely right. Those are my feelings. But would you be happy equal to God?

HSC
John Oliver said:
Urk, vacuous platitudes that could easily be used to justify a genocide. Altruism, urk.
Is love justification for genocide? No, genocide is the result of one individual's power, supported by those under their power, and released on those with little power.
:(

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
I didn't say the 'you cannot win=end up not believing' i think your theory results in people not winning no matter what they choose [if they did believe there was a god].

'swap heaven and hell around' thing;
I think people might believe god is 'bad' or whatever, but they would still believe god existed, they probably would try and have nothing to do with him though.
My whole hypothesis would be to look at the psychological reasoning in believing. Would one believe something simply out of mere benefits or actual reasoning based on facts and evidence.
You cannot help what you believe. I'm fairly sure many people would say 'we don't believe in religion and god' buuuut i think it's more a 'trying to be safe' thing, and deep down they believe in religon. If you didn't believe in god, then you wouldn't really care about what god said in any religious text, right?
I don't care what 'God' said in any religious text, I just doubt that it's 'God' who said it.

Also, you're saying basically that, you have to not believe to be in the clear. If people follow this and 'don't believe in religion' then wouldn't that mean they're just listening to god and not 'believing in him'?
Seeing if it works both ways, you 'have to believe' to be in the clear from hell. Is it a double standard or what? Double standard it is.
lol, it's pretty messed up. If you don't believe in religion you shouldn't be caring about what god says. Eh this post repeats itself.
I couldn't give a rats ass about how plants grow but it interests me nonetheless.

Seriously what's with these people restricting imagination and curiosity? Fuck.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
G...naturally! said:
You're absolutely right. Those are my feelings. But would you be happy equal to God?
I believe humans are their own gods, so I'm already equal to him.
But, talking hypothetically, would I like to be equal to the Christian god? Yes I would. I would love to know everything there is about the universe and all of it's mysteries.

xsjado

HSC
Will Shakespear said:
in general probably not

specific gods, maybe

it's hard to sustain belief in a mythology that says the earth is flat and sits on a giant turtle's back now we've been to space
QFT.

But to find a necessary condition for the existence of a greater being in the much more broader sense is definitely more difficult (if not impossible).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Lukybear said:
Since we're in a religious thread, i say morality of God? Unless you purpose a better def.
Gods morality- commits genocide, very encouraging of the keeping of slaves, permits the murder of slaves, 50 pieces of silver exonerates me from rape and I get to marry the girl, unleashing bears to murder 42 children etc...

Do I have to use bears when I'm murdering children? It's awfully inconvenient.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think that the slavery charge misses the point. Worldly concerns for personal liberty are of no consequence to the bigger picture

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Tell that to the slaves.

Iron said:
Worldly concerns for personal liberty are of no consequence to the bigger picture
That reads like you're endorsing slavery as less than an absolute evil.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I am. People are under all forms of practical slavery, under all sorts of different names. I dont particuarly care if anyone's ego is so blind and delusional to ignore this reality (edit: this just makes the slavery more deep and potent)

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You're right actually, I agree wholeheartedly.

You are very wise, I appreciate you sir.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
I am. People are under all forms of practical slavery, under all sorts of different names. I dont particuarly care if anyone's ego is so blind and delusional to ignore this reality (edit: this just makes the slavery more deep and potent)
Great way to justify worldly evils. Tripper.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'd say it's relative. Some essential slaveries are good, and I wouldn't call them slaveries, the negative connotations of that word are too strong.
Some slaveries are unnecessary and hence wicked.
Many men deliberately trap themselves in their own personal slaveries, these are the worst of all and to be avoided.
Some slaveries are necessary for a while, but should be escaped as soon as practically possible.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Lukybear said:
Since we're in a religious thread, i say morality of God? Unless you purpose a better def.
Humanism.
Much more logical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)