Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Generator said:
As anti-christian as I may be, at least I do take pleasure in trying to destroy what another holds dear.

Edit: In other words, is this debate (that neither side is capable of 'winning') worth the effort?
who says we want to win.........this is educational :)

osk

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Genesis 1
12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning-the third day.
14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights-the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

yes explain how that is a metaphor.

UR correct....I take this part all literally....since the writing style indicates that it to be taken like that

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Anyone that posted in this needs to understand, : WE DONT GIVE A FUCK

Evangalising over the internet doesnt work.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
congratulations you just made fun of your own bible lol

edit: sorry forgot ur muslim, perhaps i should find some from the koran?
1. i'm not muslim
2. i'm not christian

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
i was talking to dark_angel or whateva her name is
*sighs*

i will say it again

1. i'm a guy
2. i'm not christian
3. i'm not muslim
4. dont call me a girl

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
If you are really going to delve into some of the controversial issues in the Bible, you need to learn something of the original languages - or at least the history of the translation - especially if you are going to hang entire concepts on the meaning of a word or two. Some think this is rubbish... They say "God gave me the King James version - that's all I need". Well, for these people I offer the following simple examples:

A fine example is the Hebrew word "erets" translated as "earth" that appears in the King James Bible. What do you think of when you hear the word Earth? Probably the round spinning globe of a planet we call home - right? We subconsciously "add in" things like the Earth's: size, volume, shape, number and shape of continents, size and depth of oceans, height of mountains, diversity and quantity of wildlife (from the deepest parts of the oceans to the polar regions), etc. The word Earth comes with a lot of baggage today... This is a very recent definition of "Earth". In Biblical Hebrew, this word means "land". It could be an individual's land, the land of a city, as far as you could see, or possibly the extent of an empire. In short, it usually meant anything but what we attribute to it now!

Another example is the phrase in Genesis 1:28 "... Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth...". This helped lead Scofield and others into the gap theory - which postulates that in Genesis 1:1 everything is created, in Genesis 1:2 it becomes "formless and void", and Genesis 1:3 on details the "re-creation"! The Hebrew word translated as "replenish" really simply means to "fill".

My final example is the word Adam/Man. Most do not realize that the Hebrew word for "Adam" and "man" are one and the same. The translators decided where to put in "Adam". There is no special proper name for Adam!

Possibly now you can appreciate the difficulty, and understand some of the arguing that goes on as a result of taking these original Hebrew texts, translating them into "old English" (the language of King James in 1611) and applying our modern meanings to these older translated words

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think the best way for us to argue on the old testament is to all learn ancient hebrew, other then that its pretty hard. If we are too discuss the bible from a christian perspective we probably should stick to the new testament

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't think you need to know the bible in every language, every possible interpretation to make an informed decision about wether it is accurate or not.
You dont need to but as i said before unless you have a grasp of it, alot of the things that were translated into the modern Bible can be misinterpreted and lead to confusion

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't think you need to know every part of the bible, every translation, etc etc etc to be able to make a decision and i don't think anyone living has the right to tell us wether we are misinterpreting it.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't think you need to know every part of the bible, every translation, etc etc etc to be able to make a decision and i don't think anyone living has the right to tell us wether we are misinterpreting it.
I realise that but my focus is that many people on here are concerned with the fact that the bible contains contradictions and i am explaining where some may arise from

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
That is because they have read various parts of the bible and seen contradictions for themselves, is it not fair for them to then say that there are contradictions?

You are saying that this is because of various translations etc, however i don't think it's fair to assume that people should simply believe that and without being able to do the research for themselves they should be able to simply come to the idea that the bible is full of contradictions from their reading of it, often if you change these words it causes other contradictions.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
That is because they have read various parts of the bible and seen contradictions for themselves, is it not fair for them to then say that there are contradictions?

You are saying that this is because of various translations etc, however i don't think it's fair to assume that people should simply believe that and without being able to do the research for themselves they should be able to simply come to the idea that the bible is full of contradictions from their reading of it, often if you change these words it causes other contradictions.
Im not saying that all contradictions are explained by these translations, some are valid contradictions, im just noting that it must be understood that some may arise from the translation. In no way am i saying that contradictions exist solely based on translation errors

superbird

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
or whether its fake :uhhuh:

superbird

HSC
Generator said:
As anti-christian as I may be, at least I do take pleasure in trying to destroy what another holds dear.

Edit: In other words, is this debate (that neither side is capable of 'winning') worth the effort?
The topic is a truism

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
the bible contridicts itself-

'In Deuteronomy 24:1, moreover, Moses teaches that marriages broken in infidelity cannot be restored, even if both parties want to get back together. But in Jeremiah 3, in a shocking reversal given in a pathos-filled poem, God's own voice indicates a readiness to violate that Torah teaching for the sake of restored marriage to Israel. The old teaching is seen to be problematic even for God. The latter text shows God prepared to move beyond the old prohibition of Torah in order that the inherent evangelical claims of God's graciousness may be fully available even to a recalcitrant Israel.'

Walter Brueggemann, Christian Century (Jan. 3-10 2001, p.16)

I don't believe i god fro many reasons.. one of them being that there is too much contridiction and many of the things I dont believe in such as not being able to divorce... I think you should be able to... what if there was domestic violence involved? you gonna sit there and continue to let them beat u senseless? I should hope not... some people do, and thats their decision. But if the partner wants out for legitimate resons then they should be allowed. Other reasons such as if there were a God- then hes screwed me over, some stuff has happened in my life that has left me wondering why? and what have I ever doen to deserve this etc etc....

hehe.. starts thinking about the simpsons.. Happy God, Vengful God, Happy God, Vengful God... hehe

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)